www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team 1.21 Jigowatts - Ant Weights - SA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Ben(SA)

Yeah! I thought it would be a fun one!

I am currently running brushed for two reasons:
1) the ring is much much larger then anything I could use to drive it, so there is a big gear ratio already
2) I physically dont have the space to jam a brushless controller into the frame, I am going to have trouble getting everything in as it is Confused

Post Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:09 pm 
Ben(SA)

Make like a tree was run in last nights Adelaide robot wars!
Unfortunately I was unable to get the ring spinning due to hardware difficulties and some electronics didnt fit in the body:

Even with all that the disk was effective defense.

Now its back to the drawing board to fix the problems and to build a back up bot in case Make Like a Tree isn't ready for next month

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:11 pm 
Ben(SA)

I am currently trying to fit my ring spinner (Make Like A Tree) with an arduino bluetooth set up to save weight and to get more control over its movement.

Having got a couple of bluetooth modules a week ago I was surpirsed to find they are both slave only, meaning they cant talk to each other.

In a panic I tried to fit a 6CH reciever and 3 ESCs into Make Like a Tree but there was just no way to make it all sit with out jamming wires into the weapons path.

Que a quick redesign and a new bot, Dont Need Roads:

In this months fights Dont Need Roads started strong, everything was working and the drum was spinning. Unfortunately in the first fight I burnt out the tiny weapon motor and melted the housing which hold its gears:

However I have already found a bigger motor which will fit in the weight limit, so a quick redesign and re-print and this bot will be back to fighting fit.

I might even do a quick drum redesign and add sharp screws to really get some damage done

Post Sun May 15, 2016 12:17 pm 
Ben(SA)

This month's match was a lot better for me weapon wise.
The new version of Don't Need Roads was able to keep its weapon going for the whole first match

And it even managed to put a few scratches in Chris' bot Green Devil

Unfortunately, Green Devil's flipper exposed the weakness of flat sides and that was the end of my run in the tournament.

Inspecting Don't Need Roads after I found a few small cracks in the front around the screws holding in the drum and promptly glued them shut.

Then interested to see how my bot would go against a powerful opponent I challenged Chris and his horizontal spinner Shrapnel to an exhibition match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51fVMvtIf0c&feature=youtu.be

Which did not go well, mostly because hot glue is not super effective armour against a powerful spinner

Now it's time for a redesign and I have a plan to fit a more destructive drum and more armour into the 6 grams I have left

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:51 pm 
Ben(SA)

Just realised I haven't updated here for a while.
I have been quite busy designing and redesigning both my ants and my feather.

For my Ants, Don't Need Roads got a major upgrade for the July event, sporting new aluminium armour (made from coke cans but it held ok) and pencil sharpener blades on the drum which inflicted major damage (including to itself on the first spin up). With all the upgrades we came second for the competition:

(damage thanks to Chris' awesome bot Shrapnel)

Not to be left out, Make Like A Tree has been updated to be an "underslung" ring spinner but it is still using 2A to spin up which has lead to burning out a few motors and a few cables.

(the image isn't the best but the ring hangs only a few mm off the table)

So I am taking some advice from the battlebots Reddit and doing a redesign to spin faster not heavier. The current disk is 45 grams and I realize now that that is overkill, hopefully the new design will spin half the weight twice as fast

Post Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:04 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Ben(SA):

So I am taking some advice from the battlebots Reddit and doing a redesign to spin faster not heavier. The current disk is 45 grams and I realize now that that is overkill, hopefully the new design will spin half the weight twice as fast

It's sound advice. My antweight Scarlet has a 110mm 30g disc at around 15000rpm and it ridiculously over powered.

Post Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:58 am 
Ben(SA)

quote:
Originally posted by Knightrous:
My antweight Scarlet has a 110mm 30g disc at around 15000rpm and it ridiculously over powered.

Awesome, thanks! I am thinking of dropping my ring weight to 25ish grams and using the weight to pack in a higher torque motor.

What did you make Scarlet's disk out of?

Post Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:15 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

1mm Titanium

Post Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:22 pm 
Ben(SA)

Last month I finally managed to build and fight a full Arduino system.

The RX and TX are Arduino boards hooked together with a 2.4Ghz digital link.
My aim is to create a control system for sub $5 and build a set of instructions for it all.

The good news is that the system held up fine, and it was a fun experience controlling the bot with a wii nunchuck. As part of the comp, my new bot (dubbed Mini Model) came up against shrapnels spinning weapon and had its front wedge ripped off, but despite the damage (and heavy shocks) a bit of duct tape to hold the wedge and it kept going.

Aftermath shot on top of its older brother/design inpiration Crudity Model.

With the system somewhat battle proven, I have now set my sights on building public use bots for Adelaide Maker Faire. Wanting to build something fun but not too destructive I said Aww Duck It and started work on my first thwack bot, unfortunately, the first iteration came out a lot heavy

Some redesigning, a few speed holes and some new filament later and Aww Duck It is good to go:

With one design in the bag, I am now attempting to hook a servo to my Arduino system, navigating all of the library clashes this brings

Once that code is together, I will start work on an instructable, and be upgrading my drum bot Don't Need Roads to a full Arduino system, which should give me 5 or so grams to put into the weapon or armour

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:19 pm