www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Rusty Venture - Slightly Evil Robotics - SA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
evil_steve

I actually managed to spend a few hours in the shed today! As a consequence, Rusty is almost finished - it just needs the back armour finished and the baseplate properly attached.

We have robot! (mostly)

The guts are held in place with pipe clamps and zip ties.

A look at the incomplete back armour and removable link location. It's more complete than this now and with a power light even, as can be seen in this test drive.

Post Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:00 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Is it just me, or did you build the bottom half of a Dalek? Laughing

Post Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:22 pm 
evil_steve

See, now I'm tempted to duct-tape a plunger to it

Post Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:21 am 
J.U.R.A.P.H

That thing looks awesome! You really should paint it blue and throw a plunger on it, maybe even grab a sound board and go wild...

It looks like you are using drill motors from two diferent models, have you had any issues in getting different power outputs from the wheels?

Post Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:10 am 
evil_steve

If it survives next weekend I might.

Can't say I've driven it much, but it seems OK so far. I've got several random donated drill motors that I'm trying to pair up as best I can but I've got other matched (K Mart) 12V drill motors I could swap in if needed. The aim with this bot though was to use as much of the scrap/spare parts/random crap cluttering up my shed as possible. I like the overall shape though, might try remaking it with better quality bits down the track.

Post Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:50 am 
evil_steve

Rusty Venture glamour shot:

It's rather disconcertingly underweight (and hence under-armoured) - If I have time tomorrow amidst the Zenghiaro rebuild I might try and fashion an extra layer of optional armour for spinners, although that'd spoil it's looks Very Happy

Post Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:50 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

It did occur to me to suggest you build a second one and run a cluster.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:32 pm 
evil_steve

If I had time I would! My son and I could drive in the same fight then - I'm looking at building a multibot sportsman for Vivid next year for that reason. We're leaving Wednesday morning to drive to Canberra so I don't really have a chunk of spare time unfortunately.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:42 pm 
evil_steve

Allright, time for me to do another overly-wordy post-event write-up, this time for Rusty! As I said in the Zenghiaro thread I'm doing them separately because I think it's nicer, even if 90% of the world disagrees.

Honestly, Rusty exceeded my expectations at Nationals – I fully expected him to get obliterated in his first fight, especially after I drew the scary vertical eggbeater of Shiny. Thankfully, despite getting more air time than half the drones in Battlebots Rusty was driving fine once put the right way up and really only needed the anti-spinner armour bolted back on. Which I needed to, because I then drew the horizontal spinner Bender 3. That fight was a mad adrenaline rush (which then caused me to blabber like a loon when I was interviewed by the ABC guys afterwards, which made the news – fortunately anyone who already knows me knows my madness), and I can't believe that Rusty survived enough to take it to the judges.

The repairs after that were a bit hectic as a lot of armour needed replacing as well as one of the drive motors. Unfortunately in his third fight against Faceslasher (where we might have actually had a chance for an upset win) Rusty was dragging on one side. At the time I thought it was some of the poorly cut replacement armour high-siding that wheel, but after I got home I realised that I'd replaced the wrong drive motor! He was ready to go for the melee but unfortunately we ran out of time for that.

At this point, I have no plans to rebuild Rusty beyond swapping back in the good motor. Instead he'll become a demo bot and a chew toy to test Zenghiaro and future bots. I am really happy though with how well some of the design elements worked – the shock mounting system and shape was as durable as I had hoped (and more so than I actually expected). However I am planning on building at least one new full fat featherweight again for Nationals next year, two in the unlikely event that I get the time. I have 3 designs that I'm mulling – two are spiritual successors to Rusty in their own special ways, with one taking some of the design ideas that worked and making a much nicer bot out of them (which I'd like to do but is honestly less likely due to time and skill constraints), the other doubling down on the “made poorly in my shed” conceit but again taking some of the things that worked for Rusty. The 3rd idea is an overhead thwackbot (of “torque reaction axlebot for those so inclined) which takes inspiration from both Overkill and Nuts. After watching Gabriel on Robot Wars I may go for the latter.

Pictures:

Rusty before his first fight, sporting the last-minute anti-spinner armour that I am rather glad I bolted on.

After meeting Shiny. That was a bit hit!

After the fight with Bender 3, who managed to somewhat bend the lower ant-spinner panel back into shape! Also pics of some of the damage inside (at that point cumulative from Shiny and Bender).

Rusty all ready to get his face slashed.

Rusty's final form. I had the plunger on ready for the final rumble that never occurred.

Post Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:48 pm 
Tim

Nice Build Sir, I like the design! (Guilty of being a wedge fan despite they just bully bots) Good work! Also thanks for the motivation.....I got a few things to finish bot wise

Cheers, Tim.

Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:28 pm 
evil_steve

Thanks! If I can build a bot, anyone can!

... a halfway decent bot on the other hand ...

Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:32 pm 
Tim

quote:
Originally posted by evil_steve:
Thanks! If I can build a bot, anyone can!

... a halfway decent bot on the other hand ...

Indeed anyone can more should! there is so much info here forever evolving sometimes hard to keep up with it all! Mate I built a brick bot (I'm sure everyone hates me for that hahaha Smile ) BUT this is combat robotics so considering without magic smoke & co kept in check, she just do go!

That's why I kept it simple, KISS method, protect the heart and brains mental was well bashed by demon and scissorhands, thrown around generally smashed about had a ball great lesson! Half decent that's where I'm going....but I'm pretty pedantic also.

Have to glue my spinner back together and drill a lot of hole in it, a diet atleast with out making it to vulnerable to some of the great KE bots we have here!

Cheers, Tim

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:24 am 
evil_steve

Ah, cool, just found your build thread, look forward to going through all of it, love reading the KISS ones!

I have a pretty stressful job, so I just want to have fun when I do stuff like this. Although my general philosophy is that if you're putting combat robots into a bulletproof glass arena and having them try to destroy each nother and not having fun, you're doing it wrong!

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:21 am 
Tim

Trust me I had a ton of fun owning other bots with Mental something satisfying about driving 13.6kg round on hacked drill motors and running other bots hard into the steel walls of the arena time and time again Smile sounds like music!.....or an industrial complex in there Wink got something up my sleeve have just been really busy.....life

Yeah! KISS is reliable But until I throw another bot into the arena roof I won't be satisfied haha!

Good luck with all your build projects! Smile

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:37 pm