www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> The Marketplace

Bargain Buys and Interesting Products
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I have my own domain, so I create separate email addresses for any shopping sites I have to register for, and they automatically go into a catch-all folder..

That way if they start pissing me off, I just black-hole that address, or route it straight to my spam folder and pick out the orders or whatever I need, thanks for the heads up though Smile

Post Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

You can just put +something after gmail addresses which is what I do for sites I think will spam.

Steve

Post Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:10 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That BangGood site sure has some odd "professional tools" - any of those lock picks could get you arrested in Australia. While price checking some test gear, I accidentally found this local site: http://www.rigoloscilloscope.com.au/ , They import grey market test equipment at slightly higher prices than the BangGood site but there is local stock and supposedly a manufacturer's warranty.

Post Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:45 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I would definitely buy another rigol. Nothing fancy but interface really isn't too bad and it lets you see what you need to see.

My one has been going strong for about 5yrs now.

Steve

Post Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:21 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
That BangGood site sure has some odd "professional tools" - any of those lock picks could get you arrested in Australia.

Hm, I hope not Smile I ordered one.

Occasionally I watch the "LockTube" youtube channel (Bosnian Bill) - that guy is incredible. people send him "Challenge" locks from all over the world with all sorts of crazy custom tricky machined pins, and he picks 98% of them in under 3 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill

So, one of the things I added to my Grab bag of interesting bits (in addition to the electronic bits I needed), was one of those clear plastic padlocks and a small pick set.. $22 for both, I thought it would be a fun puzzle/toy, once you get the technique, you can cover the sides and try to do it blind as you would with a real lock.

Im not interested in picking locks per se, just the idea of being able to blind visualise whats going on inside the lock by sensing subtle clicks and movements seems like it would be interesting for a while. I wouldnt carry the picks around in public or anything, so hopefully customs wont jump on them Smile

The Rigol site looks nice, A new scope is something Ive been thinking about for a while, but 95% of what I need to do, my 30yo 20Mhz Dual Digital Storage CRT Hameg does it. Its a bit bulky, but 1980s German build quality is awesome.

Some of the Frequency and PWM measuring and digital displays would be nice I suppose. I read that you can Hack the "E" Rigols into the "Z" models with some Firmware hack. Does anyone know if thats still possible and worth doing ?

Post Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I read some conflicting stories about lock pick legality. It is a bit of a grey area where its legal to own them but not so legal to use them or have them on your person on the street. I have a cut-away test lock and its quite a challenge to open it, I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

Post Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:05 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Speaking of O-scopes, I've been enjoying the shit out of my Seeedstudios DSO Quad. It's pocket sized and is really good for doing things on the go. Recently used it for testing Flex Fuel sensors on a car which do frequency based signal for ethanol content, but also include a pulse length to indicate temperature. Having the DSO Quad on hand made things quick since it's either then dragging a full sized scope out with an extension lead and propping it up in the engine bay Razz

Post Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:32 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It looks like a great piece of kit - how well built is the case, will it stand up to some bumping around is a tool case?

Post Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:29 pm 
evil_steve

Hobbyking currently have the CEL Robox on a flash sale for AUD $924 (it's usually $1500), and with free shipping.

I failed my will save so now I've got to find space to fit it on my desk (much to my wife's amusement).

Post Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:31 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Bunnings gives away free wood.

Bunnings stores around Brisbane have a place outside where they stack packing wood so that people can take it away. The MDF might be useful for prototyping.

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:56 am 
Ondray

Hot tip: Aldi's got big thick chopping boards (probably polypropylene) for ten dollarydoos at the moment.

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:43 pm