www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 517, 518, 519 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by pilleya:

In regards to the thickness is there anything stopping builders from layering many circular saw blades together to increase thickness, mass and thus stored KE?

If Nick was aiming to use the blade as a KE weapon or for maximium destructiveness, I think there would be more damaging blade designs that he would utilise. Such as fibre cement cutting blades which have 4 or 5 giant teeth that would be very difficult to break.

To A) Yes, the rules regarding the spirit.
B) I am sure there are more destructive designs.

I am not suggesting Nick is trying to be as destructive as possible just that this would be outside my understanding of the current rules so may not be worth getting too far down the path before clarifying. Would hate to see Nick turn up on the day of an event and get his bot disqualified over something like this (an active weapon is required on a sportsmen so if that active weapon was deemed illegal under the rules than the bot would no long meet the minimum required qualifying requirements and thus could not compete.)

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
.I forgot about those cement sheet blades (sadly also TCT) they would do some real damage until the tips broke off.

It would be questionable if going for real damage is within the spirit of the rules as they are written and I then read them. Even sub 400 RPM can be limited or banned by the EO if they are too destructive.

As we all know as well, taking weight from the centre can still result in a decent KE due to the mass at the outside as well, Something to consider when comparing 'unmodified saw blades' (the wording used previously by EOs) and custom made, saw blade inspired weapon disks.

I can see why a custom disk is preferable, the current store brought unmodified saw blades are not optimal, bend easy, chip their hardened teeth and quickly add up in cost. Then again, some of these down sides may be why they can be justified as an exemption to the standard sportsmen rules.

O well, I am no EO so perhaps one can chime in at some point. Saw blades are already an extra we get beyond the standard sportsman rules, would hate to see this extension removed. My reading of the rules is unfortunately now custom made is probably not allowed but this may be incorrect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

When we had an earlier discussion about saw blades, Steve's main concern was people fitting giant sawmill blades or having blades with so few teeth they are essentially a bar. If I make a custom saw blade that has the same dimensions and weight as a commercial design - what's the real difference? If everyone objects, I will just fit a TCT blade of the same weight and it will have the exact same effect on the other bots, just at more expense.

Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:08 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Quick saw update: I weighed a 254 (10") standard sized TCT saw blade and it was 913 grams, a fair bit heavier than the design with the cut-outs I posted earlier. That means the custom blade is giving up KE and diameter compared to a 'No Questions Asked' commercial blade.

Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:33 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mister T:

The welding on the flipper arm is almost done, it just needs a random steel off-cut welded on for a spatula:

About two thirds of the welds are good and the rest are best forgotten - as least I am getting faster with the TIG.

Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:02 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Getting there - looks like too much heat cause those welds are rather fat and dull coloured. Did you weld it all at once or stitch it all together?

Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Definitely too much heat - the trouble is that with lower current I am not getting much of a weld puddle and the filler often sticks to the puddle. Once the steel has heated up a bit, I ease off on the current and I have to be careful the arc doesn't go out completely - there doesn't seem much range between too much current and not enough. I need to move the weld along faster too sometime that works out and sometimes I hit the tungsten with the filler - much more practice needed!

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:49 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Less heat input doesn't necessarily equate to lower current use, holding a long arc length and an acute torch angle have a large impact on heat too. going lower on the current can mean a higher heat input because you have to wait longer for the pool to form. Going as high a current as you can keep up with is typically the best way.

Doing everything in 100mm sections as well as alternating sides will keep the heat under control as well, if you did the entire length of that part in one go then that would be tricky for the best of welders.

Dunno about your model but the chinese welders have a pot on the foot pedal that controls the current range. Having it to max makes the resolution really poor. That could be part of it Smile

Doing another tormach order soon if you need anything more as well. Cool

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks for the tips - will try all that today. I am doing really short sections, maybe 30 or 40 mm and then going back the the other end of the part for the next weld. I keep the arc as short as possible and as close to 90 deg. as possible - anything else turns into as disaster! That tip about the foot pedal is interesting; I have been going to 100% at the start of each weld and backing off if I see undercutting or the filler starts balling up. What would be really nice is to see the display while I am welding - perhaps I can set up the video camera to watch the welder while I call out how the weld is looking.

RoboGames 2017

I just read that Robogames 2017 is being held on a date that I can probably make Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy. With almost a year's notice and maybe a month of work needed on the lightweight bot, I can have it packed well in advance and bounce from UK Robo Challenge to US RoboGanes. Next April is RoboMonth Laughing

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:51 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Coincidence - or fate?

Not even an hour after finding the new date for RoboGames, these new aluminium ring gears arrived for the Lightweight:

They will save a useful amount of weight off the drive train once I machine them to size. For now, its back to welding practise.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:39 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

one suggestion if you aren't already, angle that arm so that the weld puddle wants to naturally sit into the corner. Much easier than trying to handle a vertical edge.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Here is how I typically hold the torch for that type of weld:

The torch is angled forwards just a bit to make it easier to get the filler into the puddle without hitting the tungsten. Angling the part makes for a difficult body position - standing up, leaning over the part AND keeping a foot on the pedal is a circus act, not welding; at least for my skill level Laughing.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:04 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Half the art for good TIG is preping your environment, TIG whilst standing is *much* harder than sitting.
For that part I'd aim to be sitting right arm resting on the bench holding the torch, wrist resting on the job if it was practical. With the part propped up so that join was sitting at a 45 degree angle so the pool wants to just sit in there.
Left elbow resting on the bench to steady the filler rod.

I'm yet to master the art of one handed feeding of the filler rod though :-< watching the pro's do it its like how do you keep it still and move it all at the same time.

I've yet to use a pedal but our welder has 4 button mode which lets you have 2 power levels you can change between by touching the torch button during the weld. I normally set low power to about 70% of regular power. It's not such an issue in steel but for Al it makes a difference as the whole job heats up as you go along.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks for the tips Jake, I will think about how to prop the parts up without raising them up too high to sit in front of.

New welding problem Mad:

I tried creating more space in front of the torch to help dip the filler faster without touching the tungsten, I turned down the current and increased the stick-out by 5mm so the total was about 1.5 times the gas lens diameter. The torch was more angled forwards, around 30 to 45 degrees:

What a shameful mess! Due to all the soot, I'm going with not enough gas coverage, even though the regulator is set to a 20 CFM hurricane. I went back to my usual stick-out and torch angle and the next weld came out like this:

Lightweight:

The aluminium ring gears have replaced the original steel ones; they saved a very pleasing 312 grams, far more than expected.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:23 pm 
Eventorizon-GB

quote:
Originally posted by pilleya:

I'd say that type of blade would be banned anyway, even in a fully enclosed arena, as its not one piece. The hardened tips will snap off very easily and are very dangerous. In the UK they have been banned since series 2 back in 1997 or something.

The custom Hardox blade its much safer and will still do lots of damage at 400rpm. It just needs a file every so often to keep it sharp.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:22 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

If you are hitting the tungsten with the filler I wonder if you are too close?
My arc length is normally like 5mm or so I think.

I can dip the rod into the pool directly and then as I move the torch along it'll melt it off the rod. It's not how you are meant to do it I think lol. I think you are meant to move the torch back and then dip the rod into the still molten pool.

I have the rod basically sitting in the groove to be welded. Only thing to watch for is if the rod is touching the work in 2 places it'll often weld itself in place from the current flowing through the part.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:34 pm