www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Brushless Drill Motors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author    Thread
andrew

The controllers you did for him. Will they be available? I'll be looking into this for next warning.

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:50 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

You can do them yourself its all opensource code.

Steve

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:26 pm 
andrew

I need to start reading up on this stuff. Just near to no time though. Will pick your brain on it when I start dabbling in it. Smile

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Is there a particular version of firmware to use, or special mods needed for bi-directional control? After Googling this for a bit, most of the people talking about it are idiots who know even less than me Confused

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:51 pm 
seanet1310

In the last 8 months has anyone made any new discoveries in the world of brushless drives? Glen's were impressive and Steve's experimentation showed promise

I was running Banebots P60, 16:1 with 775s. One 775 is dead and the other is looking a little sad so it may be time to try brushless.

SimonoK looks to be the way to go flashed onto an ESC (have a couple of spare brushless TZ-85 I never got around to flashing to Stevo's brushed code).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Decimators combo was great, the simon k was quite refined, the only thing to note was the speed were it kicked in was quite high, and the 1200kv motors on 16:1 gearboxes is much much much too fast.

I think with 26:1 ratio those 1200kv motors would be a perfect match with much better control. Even 30+ :1 would do it.

One thing I'm not sure of though is whether they will mate together right - i used the 775 gearboxes with an adaptor as the bolt pattern didn't line up right. The 550's should bolt straight up but you'll need the 775 size pinion with the shaft cut down some. Hopefully that combo fits together.

Other option is vedder ESC but you have to solder them yourselves or sit out the lengthy wait periods for batches to be made.

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I made my own motor front plates with mounting holes to fit the P60 gearboxes - more work than most builders will want to do. With several CNC mills in the community, there is an opening to make the front plates more available - that could be a niche market for someone.

That just leaves the problem of getting the smaller pinion onto a 5mm shaft. I don't think its possible to replace the shaft so grinding or turning the existing shaft down to1/8" is the only option.

The alternative is to find a suitable outrunner with the right diameter shaft, or to swap in a replacement shaft.

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:46 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I get a feeling the 550 and 775 (5mm bore) pinions are the same, just with a different bore. Hopefully if you put the 775 pinion on the motor it will mate in with the 550 gearbox. Mine should show up soon so i can let you know then.

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pilleya

If you’re looking for a gearbox which can interface with almost any motor shaft, the Versa-Planetary gearbox from VEXpro could be the way to go. You can customise the gear ratios, so you can get almost any reduction with them. I know Nick experimented with them in 2014 and had trouble with some of the carrier plates, they have improved the design since then and improved the input plates. The output shaft is 7075-T6 aluminium and they could probably benefit from being supported at the end of the shaft to prevent any shaft damage occurring (from heavy impacts etc.)

Rather than needing an input pinion/gear the motor shaft simply fits into a little coupler which is tightened from the outside with a grub screw.

http://www.vexrobotics.com/vexpro/motion/gearboxes/versaplanetary.html

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:55 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

This was a good read: http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=3985

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:09 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Those Versaplanetary gearboxes were very disappointing, I am glad they had a re-design. The aluminium output shaft is still a problem and it only comes in one length, which is a bit short to add a support bearing to.

If Banebots adopted the same pinion mounting system, they would have the perfect small bot gearbox solution IMHO.

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:47 pm