www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 498, 499, 500 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
Cpnwolfe

oh man poor shiney Embarassed

took me 3 hours yesterday with a 50tonne press and an oxy torch to get whizzbee roughly back into shape after those hits

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWeJ4OrAcsmjKir9L4JNg

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeInstigation/

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:05 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by TeamRiptide:
There's 40 this year I think, plus reserves - there's one day less and a lot of people aren't making this year's because of a certain high profile event the last two weeks from what I hear but should be roughly similar to last year!

Mr Mangle's looking good too!

Thanks for the info - I figured that since Mouldy hasn't been trash-talking me this year, he was probably not coming. Now if some of the flipper teams don't show up, I might have a chance, Smile

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:59 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Cpnwolfe:
oh man poor shiney Embarassed

took me 3 hours yesterday with a 50tonne press and an oxy torch to get whizzbee roughly back into shape after those hits

That damage was all down to Decimator, Shiney got totally owned by Whizzbee. There is an incredible 75cm of cracked welding that has to be cut out and re-welded; I should be able to mill most of it off but the rest has to be ground off, which takes for ever.

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:04 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Totally screwed Laughing

I went over every single screw and nut on Mr Mangle and put together the smallest possible tool kit to totally disassemble the bot:

Even after looking at the kit for a day, I can hardly believe that's all it takes - its just not right to take such a small handful of tools! I will probably bulk it out with a multitool and a small visegrip, plus many, many spare parts.

Progress:

Two spare drive motors arrived and I also got new sensor cables that are a better length. The spare ESCs are programmed and getting their plugs soldered on today. Its still too wet to drive Mr Mangle outside but testing on the bench showed the drive motors stay cool with no load and pump out quite a bit of air, even though they don't have built-in fans like heli motors do.

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:25 am 
maddox

Team RCC is giving it a miss.
Valkiri 4 ain't even started to be build.
Hannibalito 3 is an older machine that should be slowing down a bit. That little wonder is working since 2007, and still going strong.

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

WHAT??? Shocked There is still almost two weeks to the event, surely you can knock something up in time? I will definitely miss you.

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:43 pm 
maddox

Sorry Nick,

I could get H3 up to date, in 2 weeks. The new german IBF ESC/RC switch combo arrived yesterday, and the rest of the machine is is in fine shape after the ordeal in Russia.
Unfortunatly, €€€ isn't available on this moment. To many irons in the fire.

But don't worry. You'll recognize my hand in a few new machines that should be there.

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Progress:

Yesterday was spent mostly epoxying spare parts like the ESCs and power links; Mr Mangle has almost an entire 50 ML cartridge of glue hidden inside. Today the power link base and it's bayonet retainer was finished:

It is much neater and stronger than the first version, with a larger handle for easy unlatching. Once I make a new roll hoop tonight, Mr Mangle will be 100% complete, with just a few spare parts left to finish. A neighbour threw out a pile of old computers this week, so I will test out Mr Mangle on a few of them tomorrow Twisted Evil.

There are still ten days before I fly out for the UK; that's nine days for testing & one day to pack.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:14 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Problems:

I managed to get in some testing during a break in the rain; things mostly went well but there are some unexpected problems to fix. The weapon spins up as well as always and I smashed up an old computer:

The video is completely underwhelming; the computer just crumpled, absorbing all the energy and didn't go flying into the neighbour's yard like I hoped Smile. Afterwards, I found that the rear bearing in the weapon motor has come loose and needs Loktiting back in to place before the motor gets destroyed.

In the driving test, the new motors give Mr Mangle a real spurt of acceleration, I might even need to use rate limiting or expo curves to keep them under control. There is an intermittent problem with one side or the other not starting up when the bot is switched on, which might be a programming problem.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, so I am all-out checking and repairing tonight before more testing tomorrow.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:41 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The motor is all fixed and better than new:

The bearing was just held in by friction so now it is properly Loctited in place. The windings are very neat & tight but there were some slightly loose strands so I wiped on a little epoxy to hold everything in place and prevent failures. The rest of the motor looks like new so the repairs should keep it working for another two years of mayhem and destruction.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:59 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

My flight out is during one of the Border Force strikes, meaning an extra long wait - thanks so much you pathetic fascists!

Progress:

Now that the rant is out of the way, progress is really good today. The weapon motor is reinstalled and the drive ESC problems are fixed or at least have a work-around. The problem is that the ESCs sometimes go into calibration mode if the throttle is slightly off neutral and if that happens the ESC is screwed up until it is properly calibrated again. Additionally, the calibration instructions are 100% wrong; I had to go by trial & error to find out how to make it work. The best work-around is to simply switch the transmitter on after to bot.

Now that is working reliably, Mr Mangle is all reassembled and ready for practise:

The wiring has been neatened up and I improved the electronics shock mounts with thicker rubber. Once everything is thoroughly checked, it will be time to tape and zip tie everything and pack Mr Mangle for next week.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:11 pm 
Ellis

Have you done anything to stop the front hoop from getting stuck on the pit button? I mean, it's pretty hilarious, so don't worry too much, just wondering!

Post Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:13 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have a cunning plan, don't you worry! (and it doesn't involve hiding in the pit Laughing)

Post Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:27 pm 
RogueTwoRobots

Can't believe that's been almost a year since you and Glen came over last time, and that this will be your third year at the event!
The robot's looking excellent as always, maybe we'll get a chance to have a good scrap this time round Smile

With great power, comes great reliability

Post Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:57 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Third time lucky, maybe? With so many bots at each event, there are quite a few that Mr Mangle hasn't had a match with yet and Drumroll would be at the top of the list.

Post Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:36 am