www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

what eBay welder?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Author    Thread
maddox

A taste...

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

@glen I'll drop around some time and return your box.
let me know when is good for you

Post Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

@Glen: Let me know when you free during the week and I'll swing by.
@Nick: Sent you a PM, let me know how I can send you some cash.

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:55 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

http://stores.ebay.com.au/airplasmacutter/ Good store for piles upon piles of tig consumables Smile

Also everyone should have their tig fingers by now - Still gotta drop yours over Jake. Used mine today while welding a drip tray and found it useful, good for bulk amounts of backstep welding, just rested my pinky on the fresh weld and did another one right next to it no worries. Love it Smile

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Thanks again to Nick, the TIG finger is great!
Started welding alloy last night and ended up putting the tig finger on my filler hand and it worked a treat.

Maybe I should have bought two Razz

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:24 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thanks Glen and Nick, Ive received my Tig finger as well.

Havent used it yet. not going welding in this 40 degree weather !

But I can see it being useful sooner or later, especially when I get to Alu welding where the heat spreads out in the metal a lot quicker.

Can you PM where to send some $ to please ?

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:12 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

No rush on mine I'll grab it at some point.
@Nick I also need payment details

Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
maddox

As a backup and mobile welder I bought a Giant TIG200m. *

For people who don't intend to weld aluminium, a very good starter TIG.

I especialy like the new sleeve for the torch.
The old uses a kind of soft plastic tube, but the new is a jeanslike fabric. Way lighter, way more flexible and it feels just nicer.

(mine was a lot cheaper tough, it seems www.lasexpert.nl has very good wholesale prices)

Post Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:29 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Those denim cable covers are a huge improvement over the plastic ones, plus the zip-up closure makes them very easy to install. I used one on my water cooled torch , which me run the extra gas line for the trailing cup AND it is still more flexible than the plastic sleeve Smile.

How are the new clamps for the welding table going?

Post Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:15 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Andrews 10 year old china tig has the denim cover, Classic random parts bin China

Post Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:30 pm 
maddox

@Nick.
The new welding clamps are waiting for welding.
I bought a second TIG is because my Youli failed on the HF start. And 2 days without a welder is plain agony for me.
A 5W 1KOhm resistor just next to the contacts started emiting orange light.
So I went for a shotgun approach. A simple and light TIG and getting 1KOhm resistors in the right package for starters. I was even planning winding a suitable resistor if delivery was to slow for a normal one.

@Glen, whatever the reasoning of the differences, I'm going to replace all my torches with the demin sleeved variants. The old plastic covered torches will be recycled for parts.

Is it possible to find Nomex sleeves?

Post Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:48 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Can't you just cut off the plastic sleeves and zip on a denim replacement? On the other hand, if you have the usual sort of torch that comes with Chinese TIG welders, you will really appreciate an upgrade like a CK Worldwide torch with a 'gas-thru' superflex cable: http://www.ckworldwide.com/150-amps-ck17.html

If you have a gas cooled torch, that means only one cable, no cover required and a huge improvement in weight and flexibility.

Post Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:35 pm 
maddox

Nick, replacing the plastic sleeve is the reason I asked about nomex .

For the watercooled torch, it's an option, replacing the stiff plastic sleeve. Maybe a Teflon/kevlar weave to do the job?

But to replace the oldest gascooled torch, it's simpler, easier and cheaper to buy a replacement. €35 won't break my bank.

Next step, adding a bottle rack to the welding table. Then the argon hose doesn't have to run trough the shop.

Isn't it an option to use the bottle horizontaly? Then it fits a lot easier and better.

Post Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:34 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Since the argon isn't liquid, you should be able to use the tank in any position - tilting it sideways and lifting it might be a challenge though.

Replacing the plastic cable cover with a better grade of plastic tube might be difficult; you will have to disconnect the cables at the torch end and then snake them through many metres of tubing. The zip-on denim covers are dead easy and cheap (I paid just $Cool; I can't much reason to use anything else except in a heavy-duty industrial situation.

The gas-thru cable style torch is more expensive but much nicer to use; just one cable that is light and super flexible and no cover required. You need a special connector at the welder end that splits out the gas line but apart from that it works like a regular air cooled torch.

Post Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:00 pm 
maddox

Nick, thanks got the argon answer. I did find that on the web during the day. Later on I'm going to weld a horizontal bottleholder in the table. To hold 2 bottles tough.
1 for main feed, 1 for backing gas.

The 2 el-cheapo Chinese TIG welders use the gas-trough torch.
1 main hose/main high power line, and a control cable with a simple plug to the switch.
The CUT40 plasmacutter too, uses even the same main invertor board as the 2 welders)

But , I was thinking. The foot-pedal just uses a potentiometer to control the amps.
How difficult would it be to make it non hand or foot controlled? Voice, nostril flare, coded eye blinking, whatever?
If it's possibe to have a cats tail/ears to react on moods, why not a simple thing like a potmeter replacement?

Post Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:08 pm