www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Motors info
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

Motors info

Hey all, i read abuot these motors in silicon chip mag a while abck but there released now. Go to www.oatleyelectronics.com/bcorner.html

Now i am wishing i still had an IBC. Those 30 doller scooter drive modules seem ideal for a drive system. And replacement parts for it all is easily available now. Also those 300 watt motors with a 5:1 reduction at 36 volts is also kinda appealing to me Smile.

Anyway's just letting u all know about them.

Last edited by andrew on Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:14 am 
3Faze

404 dude.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:18 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

just delete the "." on the end of the URL Smile

ahh, I've been waiting for ages for these to turn up!

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, I saw those the other day. nice looking motors, and at an excelent price, shame about the voltage, will make them a bastard to overvolt in a feather.

Still, I might get a couple, they'de have to have pretty good torque to push an 80kg person up a hill at 20km/h.

Also, there selling the belts and pullys used on the scooters, which could be useful for weapon/drive systems

ffej.net

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I've ordered a few of the complete scooter drives (100W motor, wheel, belt, etc) and some of the 300W motors. They also have 200W ones, but they're the same size and weight as the 300, so I figured it'd be better to run the 300 on lower voltage if less power is needed.

I think the scooter drive setup is perfect for robot use, but the larger motors are a bit big (~2kg) for most applications.

First step will be jamming a 300W motor into the 100W scooter I have with a dead motor Smile

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew

Could u explain how much postage is etc as i wish to purchase some stuff like the large motor and that and maybe a scooter drive train as they r only 30 bucks for most bits u need.
May try in my year 12 project 4 large motors with simple bike parts and a 4:1 reduction. Just need to bolt sprocket on wheel and mount it in robot. run bike chain between 2, tension eppropriately and it should zoom around like crazy.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:44 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

How do you order a complete scooter drive?

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:21 pm 
andrew

well down the bottom before the chargers bit theres one for like 30 bucks saying scooter drive bits or something. It includes motor, wheel with pulley and belt. All needed for drive train.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:42 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yup if im not mistaken the 100w motor is what mini mower uses and the $28 drive system they advertised sounds like a full drive set.

needless to say after mini mowers excellent performance i will be buying a pair for future robots Smile

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

my motors just turned up from Oatley.

The drive set is indeed the wheel, bearings, pulley, belt, and motor from the scooters. For the price it's a real bargain!

I also grabbed some 300w motors - at least one of which will be going into the 100W scooter we have here who's motor didn't like our power control modifications Smile

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:59 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Has anyone tried a Sullivan motor? (The kind of starter motor used for RC planes) They seem to have heaps of torque....

Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:47 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I have one of those somewhere, but I'll have to find it.

I was thinking about it a while ago, but just haven't had a chance to go looking Smile

I wasn't that impressed with the torque output of it actually, but it is a decent sized motor.

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:34 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

would any one know the size and mounting methods for those 100w scooter drives?

looking at using 4 in a pushy bot, and also was mini mower running the motors at 24v?

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

The 100 watt scooter motors have three threaded holes on their face with the output shaft between them. Similar to drill motors a bit.

With a belt the holes are used to attach long bolts and the belt runs between the bolts.
Personally I will turn them to chain drive which makes it easy to mount the motors on a flat sheet or bracket if desired.

Exact sizes at oatley but around 67 x 94 I am guessing.

Have already screwed one up trying to get the pulley gear of it so be careful here. They have a surclip but they are glued as well. Gary has advised me to heat up the gear with a an intense flame first, sounds good, just need fire.

They have the same shaft as the bigger models which run off chains so you can mix and match.

Minimower did run off 24 volts with a belt at 5.5:1. They should handle 36 volts easy, at 24v they run at 2300rpm I think.

I recenetly purchased some 250 watters and replaced the sprockets and chains with industrial strength products so the original sprockets will be used on the 100 watters once I have fire.

The scooter chain and sprockets would work well in a feather.
Of course yu can go the way of belts as Mininmower has but you will wear them down eventually so you will need to have replacements.

Oatley has run out of 300 watt motors for about 4 weeks but on a brighter note they will be extending their scooter product range to also include sprockets and chains at the same time so some efficient and quiet robots are going to emerge, my lightweight for one and whatever these 4 100 watt motors and chains will go in.
Sounds like others have already been purchasing these as well.

Am interested to do some tests on these motors as they only have one spec. They dont mention stall current or torque, dont know if it reaaally makes a difference but knowing stall current is good and knowing details to help you work out a gear ratio is also good. Might have to just do it and see.

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:59 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

what drill motors dose The Acid Test use for drive?

And how much pushing power do the ux1 drill motors have and can they be run at 18v?

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:40 pm