www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> New Builders

New Builder [VIC]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

As Ive said before, Im willing to give any serious-looking prospective E.O. (Event Operator as we call them - basically the boss with their balls on the line) a run down on the drill required to put on an event..

Depends on the scale of course, but there are few basic organisational things, promotion, safety, entry sheets, tech inspection, judges, bot wrangler/scheduler, setup/teardown, cleanup etc that are fairly easy to cover with a bit of instruction.

The biggie is *attitude. You need to be aware that *you are basically offering to be *responsible for the conduct of a bunch of sometimes over-enthusiastic, often young and inexperienced, sometimes stupid and careless people playing with *very dangerous toys. Serious Injury and possibly Death are lurking just a moments inattention away.

Think of running a birthday party for a bunch of 10yo's (not all entrants are 18yo+) and then drop a pile of highly over-stressed and sometimes poorly-built power tools into the middle of the room for them to play with. Add in high pressure compressed gases, jittery radio control systems, exposed wiring capable of welding levels of electrical power in the hands of tired cranky builders (who have often pulled several all nighters to get stuff done in time for the event) running under a tight time schedule with an audience stomping their feet for you to hurry up and keep the action coming.

You need to keep an eye on *everyone. Watch the whole event, stop builders being dangerous (some will), the public trying to wander into the pits for a look see, you have to be prepared to be firm and even shout at people to not be so *ing stupid sometimes.

You also need to keep the concerns of the venue owner in mind. Think of it like inviting a bunch of amateur mechanics into your own house.. Solder dropped on carpets, holes drilled in tables, people wanting to put out on-fire robots in arena's full of hazardous smoke and levels of mess that you would expect from a bunch of hobbyists struggling to keep their creations together for the next round. Which all needs to be dealt with by the EO.

To do it properly, you really need to think of it the same way an adult looking after a bunch of other peoples kids for a party does.. Its *ALL up to you to make happen and keep safe. If anything ugly happens, its *your ass on the line, cos you were the boss. except you dont get paid, but people will still blame you.

Its a fairly thankless, *high-stress job - just ask Steve, or anyone else who has actually done it for a decent sized event. But if public events are going to happen, it has to be done by someone.

OK, Im making it sound bad, but thats the truth of it. Its not just a matter of sending out some invites and expecting everyone to look after themselves.

Still Interested ? Wink

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cyber

i'm still keen as mustard Smile perhaps we could start with a less public get-together for the people who are enthusiasts. I guess that depends on what kind of costs we'd be looking at to get the arena open again. It would be good to have a chat in person with someone like yourself, mind if I ask where you're based?

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:55 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Im in Glen Waverley Area. But Sidetracked in Oakleigh is a good spot for builders to get together. It has a cafe and is where any possible event would be held.

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Saturday 19th at Sidetracked, sounds good to me. Were in Newcomb.

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:50 pm 
Cyber

Sounds good to me. I'll keep saturday open and see if any other guys from the hackerspace would like to come along and see what could possibly be contributed to the arena. What time suits you?

Post Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:49 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Probably around 11am but I can work in with whatever works for everyone. Best be sure Brett can be there.

Post Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:43 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I can visit this weekend, but I cant say for sure if it can be Saturday or Sunday yet.

I have an outdoor (weather-related) prior commitment that will be happening saturday or sunday, and its too soon to trust the forecast just yet.

One day or the other will be chosen on Friday and the other day I can meet you guys at Sidetracked.
Sorry, but thats the best I can do for this weekend. If you need a definite day with more notice than 1 day, we might have to aim for the weekend after, and I can lock in a day with more notice.

Let me know if you want me to let you know on Friday which day is available for this weekend.

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:00 pm 
Cyber

Either works for me, I have some painting to do Sunday but should be free to meet around 11am.

thanks for taking the time, it is much appreciated Smile

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:52 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Sat or Sunday all good for me, this week or next.

Only suggestion is if we put it of perhaps a call or email to the other old builders to keep them in the loop.

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:59 pm 
Cyber

Saturday is looking to be ideal, do please let us know with a post here on friday if you can get out there Spockie. If not that's fine, we can aim for the following weekend perhaps?

The builders are coming out of the woodwork... Some of the guys from the hackerspace have piped up and one has even thrown his old bot into the ring for me to work on, just needs a little TLC and some new batteries / radio! It's a seriously solid frame and fits into the 25kg weight class I believe, but that may change with the move away from two big gel batteries to a pair of LiPos and whatever decision is made regarding the choice of offensive weapons (i want flamethrower!! Laughing )

http://i.imgur.com/N9yCFRW.jpg

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:33 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I remember that bot, they were the Ultibot guys, there is a lot of old info buried on the forum.
Make a good no spinner lightweight, we have had lightweight arena fights.

Megatread I think it was called had a very powerful flame thrower.

Only ever set itself on fire in a fight with Weasel Very Happy

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:47 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Lightweight 60lb 27.22kg

Your build thread
http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=284

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:26 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Mmm, other builders ? I could let Rick know, havent spoken to George for years, but probably have his phone number somewhere, Neweyn moved up bush somewhere, I think I could find him on facebook, but I dont think hes anywhere close to Melbourne any more. Sean is in another state I think.

Who else can you think of ?

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:42 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Well George would be top of the
list; Sportsman class would be perfect for his bots.

Then there’s Rob but he already knows.

Waggie Tim Shreddi Mat ?

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:37 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

OK, Well, looks like the weather will be about the same both days, so my other booking is now on Sunday.

So, Saturday is confirmed available. Ive just chatted with Barry (Owner of Sidetracked) and he will 90% likely be there tomorrow too, so we can discuss the current/future status of the Arena with him as well.

Approx 11am is fine with me. See whoever else there Smile

Ive sent Andrew (Waggy) a facebook message, Shreddi and Mat I have no contact details for. Ill send a message to Neweyn as well, and maybe he can notify Mat in time. Ill SMS George and let him know.

So, Anyone interested, www.sidetracked.com.au, oakliegh, about 11am tomorrow.

Probably the Cafe, but if a lot of people show up, they might put us in the corporate room or some other meeting room so we dont hog the limited number of seats in the Cafe, so if you cant see a collection of Tech-Heads when you arrive (if after 11), ask at the counter where the RoboWars guys are.

Remember, Im *not volunteering to organise any future events, this is to get all you interested guys together and see if you can come up with something between you. Smile

See you there.

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:51 pm