www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robowars Sydney 2015 - 30 May - Cargo Hall OPT @ Circular Qu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Video Editing Sucks. Smile

I used to estimate about 1hr of work per minute of final run time !

That's for a tightly edited, lots of cuts, music, titles production. Including capture/load, edit, render time.

Sometimes its worth it. A couple of the fun RoboWars jobs (Neighbors, The Bris Piazza) etc came about partly due to interested parties seeing some of the nice Highlights Promo Music Vids I did..

Im sure Lindsay, George etc could've told you how much fun it *isnt producing the Metal Mayhem and other Event compilations discs that have been done in the past though. Lots of work for little return.

A professional could probably be quicker, but usually doesn't have much appreciation for specifics of special-interest subject matter. ie. Audience might like to see a slo-mo replay of a particular hit or similar.

Most of the individual fights will only get watched once or twice by the builders and few others unless they are spectacular in some way, so Id suggest spending time on a flashy highlights reel, and just do the minimum for the whole fights.

And remember, depending on who your intended audience is.. non builders/competitors like to see *humans too. Techies like machines, but the average joe reacts better to visuals of humans reacting to the fights.

A camera at each drivers station watching the drivers should get you some tasty facial expressions to edit in for future events Smile

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I found the actual editing the easy part.

Its all the prep and finalising work which has been more arduous. Collating, organising, sorting, syncing, exporting and uploading. (And just working out how Premier works) has taken 90% of my time.

My theory behind doing all the fights was to pick out the good fights/highlights. That may have been a bad idea as doing the multiple camera angles is a lot more work to setup and slows down the process.

Plan is to do a recap/highlights as Anthony got some reaction, angus doing an intro, and builders shots.

Plan was to do.
- Intro of event.
- Recap rounds with links to all the fights
- Summary of robots that made it to the finals, who one each of finals with highlights.
- Full final
- Award presentation.
- Wrap up

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:04 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Well the fights are done! Now to export, upload, label and create a playlist. That's only another 3hrs.

Have to say it was an interesting experience and editing them wasn't too bad but it definitely makes me appreciate just how much time this takes. For me it took about 2 full days to get the footage into an organised format, find the fights and sync it. Probably 1 day to edit it.

This has taken maybe three weekends with all the other bits and pieces I have been doing. Will have the vids uploading tomorrow and will hopefully get anthony to do a bit of a pass over them and fix a few things before I make them public.

Hope the editing in the multiple views makes it slightly better but its hard as the go pros are crap particularly with the low light in the corners furthest away from them and also steel beams seem to appear in shots. I have done some colour correction to sort of up the brightness which makes the cameras usable but its a bit of a hack for them just needing more light.

My poor computer has struggled through this entire process. I have been editing them on my i5 Surface and it really just isn't up to the task. It particularly did not like one of the fights where I seemed to find I had 6 camera angles playing at once. Also struggled with real time play back of slow mo footage. Not unexpected but frustrating.

Don't think I will ever volunteer to do this again but has been good learning experience and will give me greater appreciation of Miles' quick uploading.

We *may* get an event summary/highlights 20min video yet but we shall see ho much time and motivation I have.

Steve

Post Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:24 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

sounds great, I really appreciate the effort you have put into this and I'm really looking forward to the videos. If more hardware would make the process better/easier let us know, there are enough IT nerds on here something may be able to be scrounged.

Post Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
marto
Experienced Roboteer

PC crashed last night while exporting has been restarted this morning so will get to the uploading part this afternoon.

Steve

Post Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:12 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Getting it in is a pain getting it out is a nightmare ha ha

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Vids are on the YouTube. Just trying to sort them and label them. Soon

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:23 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4Gd8wzUEk&list=PLLZMPHyzJwTdfr3M6etWk-tYmxkd71-dD

The almost complete event playlist....

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:32 pm 
Thomas AIC

Just watched most of them, great stuff Marto!

Citizen Flips really went down well with the crowd. That final must have been great to take part in. Makes me excited for nationals! I need to learn how to drive the thing so I don't look like an idiot...

Commentary of the first few fights was pretty hard to listen to, commentator definitely needs the robot biography/information stuff to throw out during fights "6mm thick steel armour" and the like. but I'm sure you're all already thinking about such things.

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Awww yeah, these are awesome. Thanks for the pain you endured to get them done Steve. Well appreciated. And to the camera peoples too :>

Barely saw any fights other than my own, so great to watch them. Quite a few really good ones. That slam das boot put on farmboy was kick ass xD "I'm the juggernaut b*tch!" Very Happy

Farmboy worked kinda amazing considering the whole lifter was quite literally held in with duct tape lmao! Very entertaining and animated robot that one.

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

For a guy that usually MCs weddings and someone who definitely did not have that info on hand he did pretty well. I did do up a sheet the night before but trying to view that on my iphone which kept locking pretty much meant it as getting made up.

He also arrived late like 20min before we started so.... It wasnt exactly a smooth ride for him.

THIS IS WHY I NEED YOU INFO FOR NATS NOW PEOPLE.

So much editing Fixing like 10 of them now as we speak thanks to feedback from miles and Glen. My poor PC

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:59 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Awesome work Steve…the multi angles really works well….especially when you don't notice the edits…that means its edited well.

I liked Nathan the mc/dj because he didn't know anything about the robots….that made it funnier. We have him booked for Nats to. He did that epic slow piano bit in the middle of the kojak/farmboy quarter final where he talks about us being friends in another life... hilarious ….He kept the crowd interested between fights and we did have 11000 of them at vivid.

Cant wait for Nats now.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

looks like you will have to edit all events from now on steve Shocked

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:34 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Well done. Very enjoyable.

The commentator did well to keep taking like that. It must have helped the crowd.

Congratulations to all involved.

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:44 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLZMPHyzJwTdfr3M6etWk-tYmxkd71-dD

Ok I think they are all fixed. Except there is 15 seconds of black after Das Boot vs Farm Boy but that can stay for now.

Yay

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:40 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Awesome work man, love having the closeups mixed in Smile best videos yet!

Post Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:44 pm