www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

machining thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Spill-proof lube pot

I recently bought a couple of spill-proof pots as an add-on to an order from Little Machine shop. They work really well and are cheap, but you wouldn't want to buy them by themselves as the postage would be much more than the pots cost.

I wanted another one, so I looked around for materials to make my own; it turns out that you can make the pots from stuff you probably already have:

I used a peanut butter jar, a lid from another jar and a pill bottle. First, sand off any ridges on the jar lids and rough up the top surfaces. Glue the lids back to back with a generous amount of epoxy as the lids are likely to be polyethylene, which is hard to glue.

While the epoxy is drying remove the labels from the containers; I like to wrap them in a paper towel and then pour on a little Digger's wax and grease remover. The paper towel spreads the solvent out and means you don't need much of it.

With the labels off and the glue dried, its time to drill some holes. Make the hole in the lids around 3/4" and the hole in the pill bottle one size larger. The hole size isn't too important as long as its large enough to fit a small brush through and small enough so that there is a lip on the bottom of the bottle to glue on to.

Roughen the bottom of the pill bottle and the underside of one of the lids, then glue them together. While the epoxy sets, you might like to epoxy some small NIB magnets to the bottom or the jar.They are optional and help prevent the pot from falling off vibrating machinery.

Once the epoxy is set, fill the lube pot about 1/3rd full with your favourite cutting oil and you are done Very Happy. I use a small metal handled brush that Bunnings calls a 'spirit brush'.

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:58 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Nice nick.

Will have to make one for the "shed"
<insert other filthy lube reference here>

Steve

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:02 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks Steve Laughing. I thought that after all those posts about grease nipples that nobody would go there...

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:53 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Here are the lube pots in action:

The one on the left uses a short length of electrical conduit, which prevents oil drips from running back into the pot - the newer design with the pill bottle is definitely better. the pot on the right is the commercial version.

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:51 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm looking to buy a key way broach kit to do 3mm key ways in the pulleys for Farmboy. What's the recommended local place for purchase? (excluding eBay / Merica).

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:29 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Blackwoods has them and is reasonably close to you for a pick up. Small Parts is probably cheaper if you don't mind waiting for postage from QLD.

EDIT: I can't believe the local prices; up to $77 from Hare & Forbes Shocked Buy it O/S and wait a week to save 50%.

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:43 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

LPR toolmakers has decent branded ones with the broach for $80~ I need the 1/8 keyways for banebutts gearboxes so if you want to subsidise said purchase then you can just use em whenever you want? Razz

Was just about to buy it today speaking of

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Don
Experienced Roboteer

Howdy,
I have a home workshop tooling question for those with mills.What type of mill do you have and what tooling do you have for it?

I started with a new company at the end of last year and the gear is very lacking but manly they don't really allow personal use of the equipment.

thanks.

Post Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:25 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have an HM32 from Hare & Forbes:

Its a handy size for featherweight bots but after 7 years of use there are some things I would really like to change:

* Dovetailed column (like the HM46). Being able to raise the head without losing position would be a major convenience and time saver.

* An R8 spindle taper rather than MT3. R8 collets release with a gentle tap, while MT3 collets usually need a major hammering to come free.

* Retrofitting even the most basic DRO really increases the accuracy of work.

Apart from the mill itself, its worth investing in a good quality vice; the ones that come in mill package deals are really crappy. Other accessories that I use all the time are parallel sets, edge finders and clamping kit.

For tooling, the most used cutters are face mills with inserts, a fly cutter and HSS endmills between 8 and 15mm. To hold all those cutters I mostly use Tormach quick change holders - they save a ton of time.

Post Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:16 pm 
Don
Experienced Roboteer

thanks,I was unsure about these bad boys they are a bigger mill but don't have the dovetail column,and wasn't sure if that effected the rigidity. do you plunge cut many keys ways in it?

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:26 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Think Glen was pretty happy with his maybe check his build thread.

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:39 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The HM32 is fine for cutting slots (not that I do much steel) and it faced the large slabs of Bisalloy 450 that I used for beaters earlier in the year. It had a real problem when I countersunk the forks on Shiny with a 1 flute cutter - the whole head was deflecting quite dramatically and once when the cutter jammed, the whole head turned on the column and I lost position. The column tube is fairly thin, definitely less metal than the cast column on the HM46.

The other possible issue is that you can't tram the head. Mine came cam almost perfect but I notice the tramming changes slightly as the mill heats up. The only way to tram this mill is to loosen the whole column an insert shims on the low side.

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:34 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

BF20L is decent for its size, but the round column is heaps more solid even though having to raise the head up and down is annoying, you have to think the job through in advance or you can get into situations where it needs to be raised and then you lose position.

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Don
Experienced Roboteer

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=381357319509&alt=web
Im thinking this little fella,i would like the bf20,but because im renting its a pain to have to move gear thats too heavy.

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:27 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

i got an x2 not brushless though...and it is annoyingly small…there is no chance of getting a feather under it….i got one cause i didn't have the budget for the hm46…thats what I have my sights set on when i do have the budget…..but x2 could be good if you move a lot….ok for small stuff.

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:40 pm