www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Battlebots Season 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Author    Thread
andrew

Yeah dude seems like a douche

Ray can come across like that also but majority of people he has dealt with so its gentle ribbing.

Bite force is simply awesome though and bronco was badass, Would have liked to have seem how stinger would have gone further on.

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:11 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I wasnt super impressed by some things in the last ep, but probably nothing different to my usual battlebots whinge Smile plus i have a cold and feeling pretty sooky at the moment, so sorry if I come across whiny.

The inertia labs guys did the same anti-spinner keep-away-stick trick they did years ago with T-Minus vs Hazard, although back then they used a glove with a raised finger to cover the stick prior to the match.. It worked back then, ending Hazards unbeaten reign, but didnt work so good this time. Smile

A couple of lucky shots for Ray there. Broncos tyre landing on the blade and getting ripped off, immobilising bronco, and that they kept the immobility countdown running on that last hit when he "dropped his guts". They probably should have restarted the 10-second countdown then, since Bronco *did move, even it was only cos ray hit him Smile Had the done a countdown restart, they would have *both been out.

2nd fight. another good fight ended by those stupid screws. Mad They've got to get rid of them, they're such an instant-death the way they jam up with your robot wedged in them. Pathetic, was looking like quite a good clamp/control fight up to then.

Last fight was a bit lame, with rays batteries (?) smoking up and taking out his weapon, and Bite Force's tracks jamming up. Still, good driving by Bite Force ensuring he took the big hits on the wedge and took very little damage from the blade elsewhere. a fairly deserved win, although Im not a big fan of robots suddenly sprouting wedges for some matches when faced by spinners.

Looks like lots of people are going Lipo these days and paying the price. Quite a few bots went down to smoke'n'flame.. I know they're the lightest, but really, are they worth the weight saving over A123's given their reliability and damage-your-own-bot record ?

Overall, good to see them back on TV, but I think the format could use some tweaking.

*Waayy too much fluff and not enough meat. *7.5 minutes of fights (including the rumble), in a *42 minute show. (and thats with commercials edited out!! ) Pad Much ?

They should make the field bigger than 24, pre-seed the experienced professionals, and have a pre-qualifying elimination for a few "n00b" spots. Minimise the production costs for the first few days, let the newcomers battle for a spot in the main event with just a camera or two,

Then they would have more interesting "qualifiers" content to pad with, rather than all the other crap they put in there that *everyone is going to fast forward/edit out except those watching it on 1st TV screening live.

Totally dump the flip-out zones (as well as the screws). that was always such a lame way of ending a fight, Im sad that BB added to them their arena. The Kill saws should pop up permanently in the last 30 seconds of a fight. a bit like a pit opening. The only thing they improved arena-wise was giving the teams control of 1 hammer each, and I think they might be best only enabled in the last half or something.

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Lipo batteries are still the way to go - how many people are getting counterfeit or reject A123 batteries nowadays? Apart from the lower energy density, A123 packs seem to cost more per watt-hour than most Lipo packs. The other thing with A123 cells is that they seem to be a frozen technology, while Lipo research is still delivering improvements.

I would also like to see the screws go, they really didn't add any excitement to any of the fights. I don't like flip-out zones either, but if they were removed the flipper bots would be mostly ineffective and the bots would lose diversity.

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:30 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

So nerve wracking watching that ep! Watching the whole series unspoiled for the most part has been fantastic.

Really glad bite force took the win. Was nice to see something at least marginally different with the tracks. Very well driven and a reliable machine to boot.

Bit bummed about bronco, It could have won that, but that was some really bad control of the flipper. There was at least two moments it could have gotten a proper flip on tombstone, but it missed totally the first time, then didn't even shoot the second. Then the third time it gave it a tiny half power lift. Lame Sad

Tombstone looked totally shagged by the final though, the blade was set at a huge angle. Doubt it could have gone on much longer even with the battery melt down. I believe it uses A123s at least on the weapon, you can see the cell shape forms when they fall out Razz Though one lipo was in there. i suspect that's maybe a drive pack. Not sure Lipos would handle the amount of current that etek would suck up on start up - surely well over 1000 amps for a few seconds.

Here's hoping for a season 2 Cool

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

The three way was an unexpected bonus for me, Jim it getting a win after missing out on a wild card or whatever they call it.

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:28 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

ey rotwang been a while, hows it going?

Also I saw this "behind the scenes" people might be interested in
http://www.tested.com/tech/robots/535357-behind-scenes-battlebots-production/

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

They made a bit note about all those off-camera whiteboard matches so there could be an extra show's worth of fights on Tested - looking forward to that!

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:13 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

There was a test fight prior to the event with Ray's other robot SwampThing and Kronic. They were used to give the camera crew some practise on chasing the bots around the arena and keeping them in frame.

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:18 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

We loved that last ep to. Was totally nerve racking that bronco tombstone fight….i was sad that they didn't get a disappointed ray interview after the final…that was epic to…amazing driving……and i was supprized that that tiny bolted on wedge worked pretty eel on bight forcel….

I don't think we could ask for a better show really….its the most glitzy robowars event yet- the commentators look like they love it and they have really good coverage of the action and slowmo in the action replay. They must have sunk some serious money into that show…..yep we are all agreed those arena hazards are lame but I'm sure the kids love it. Very Happy hoping this happens every year from now on…. and we need to get designing on an Aussie bot to compete. Cool

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Last edited by miles&Jules on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:50 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I'll donate an Etek Motor and all the electronics for it Smile

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:38 pm