www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Writer Wants To Meet Bot Makers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
supagenius

Writer Wants To Meet Bot Makers

Hi Robot Wars. My name's Andrew Kelly. I'm not a Robot maker, I'm a freelance Writer for Film & TV. I'm interested in Combat Robots, the sport & people who make them. I'm in the really early stages - like the second day - of thinking about an idea for a feature film where the central character is a kid about 16 or 17 who's into building Combat Robots. I've got no idea what the story is yet, but I'd really like to meet any bot builders who'd be willing to talk to me and give me their time.

I realise putting an ad like this on a forum could look a bit dodgy, so if anyone does reply to this, I'm happy to meet in a place and time that you choose, and with any mates/family/whoever you want to bring along. I live in Sydney and have a car, so travel is not a problem.

I should say that most Aussie films never get made, so it's pretty likely this one won't - and if it does, it'll probably take about ten years, and there's no money involved.

Thanks for reading, and even if no-one replies, good luck with the building.

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:11 pm 
andrew

well i would be glad to but am busy for a while

why dont u just come to the next event thats run. the next event is feb 23rd or something (look in nsw dates in state section). There will be many builders and machines and an arena so plenty to do during the day in talking with builders and what not.

Or the next day we are working on the arena u can pop by then and have a chat.

oh yeah, the next event is at 23 tallagandra drive marayong.

same with build days.

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:26 pm 
supagenius

Thanks Andrew. Will check the dates and come to the event in February.

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:29 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey andrew, i live around sydney area, (mt druitt area... talk about classy lol), just turned 17 and what not,

the next event would be the place to show up at, but if you just cant wait till then im doing nothing for the next few weeks Smile

looking foward to seeing you, and im sure many will be interested, i think where all fame hungry after the regurgitator film clip and the roboneighbours Very Happy

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey andrew, i live around sydney area, (mt druitt area... talk about classy lol), just turned 17 and what not,

the next event would be the place to show up at, but if you just cant wait till then im doing nothing for the next few weeks Smile

looking foward to seeing you, and im sure many will be interested, i think where all fame hungry after the regurgitator film clip and the roboneighbours Very Happy

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
supagenius

Hey Glen. Yeah, will definitely come to Maryong, but might try and meet before then. Have to say I mised roboneighboiurs and Regurgitator. Don't get too fame hungry - a zillion people write scripts every year and only about five get made - and then nobody goes to see them.

If I can meet before Maryong event, will post a message and arrange something. FYI, I'm 44 - and if you think that sounds old, you ought to try it from where I'm sitting.

Thanks for the message

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:57 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

supergenius, we do have a few stories to tell and plenty for a book i must say ...our new season starts on feb 26th ,i reckon that would be the best place to meet us all , hope to see you there .cheers chris

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:32 pm 
supagenius

Cheers Chris. Look forward to meeting you all

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:38 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

If you are also interested in the real early days of robot combat I would also suggest finding a book called "Gear Heads"
http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_botbooks.html
I have copy and have read it a few times now.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
supagenius

Yeah, kkeerroo, I've got 'Gearheads.' That's pretty much how I got interested, and the extent of my knowledge - that and Survival Research Labs. Anyone looking for WMD's, Mark Pauline found them.

Thanks for the feedback. Any other books, DVD's, vids, whatever I should check out, please let me know.

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:53 pm 
3Faze

Hi Andrew

Gearheads is a good book, but does have a few inaccuracies. If you want to check any of the history stuff, give me a yell, being a Brit, I had an earlier start into this sport than the aussies, and have a few friends who've been in this sport since RW started in the US. I'm also used to do a bit of proof reading work, so if you want a second opinion on anything, send it over.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:16 am 
supagenius

3Faze. The idea's all of four days old, so it'll take a while to get a story and write a script. But thanks - all offers of help & enthusiasm gratefully received.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:31 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

One way to do it would be "rockumentary" style, which could have amusing possibilities Smile

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
supagenius

I've got the beginnings of an idea, but nothing set in stone. I think something will suggest itself the more I meet and talk with Bot builders. The process of doing a script is probably a bit like building a bot - you make the decision that you want to do it, then figure out what kind of shape, armour, weaponry etc. as you go, depending on taste, ability and budget.

Sometimes it works, sometimes you crash and burn...

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:53 am 
3Faze

Either way, if you need an alternate angle on anything, get in touch.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:25 pm