www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 443, 444, 445 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mr Mangle:

The Bisalloy is finally face milled down to the correct thickness and is off at the waterjet cutter - they have a 7 day lead time so I will get the beaters back next Monday for turning. I checked & updated the programming on the weapon ESC; it now has the recommended timing, a fuse-friendly 1.5 second spin up time and the highest drive strength (which means it gives the motor more current at the start). All that should mean a smooth spin up and less running current.

The welder has finished the frame repair and I will pick it up to start the final reassembly tomorrow morning.

Shiny:

Shiny had a drive test and for some reason the receiver lost power Confused. That never happened on the bench, so I think its a connector vibrating loose. Everything has been hot glued, zip tied and taped tighter than a dominatrix's corset, so that should fix the problem. The weapon ESC has been programmed the same as Mr Mangle and if the power problem is fixed, Shiny is ready to be packed.

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:18 pm 
Mouldy

Assuming the new beater for mr mangle is done in time are you going to run it at 100%?

Also... how come you opted to not machine teeth into jolts beater?

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:00 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I don't think either bot will take 100% in the arena, not yet anyway. In Mr Mangle's case, the motor gets dangerously hot with extended running and even if the new beater is OK at full power, the frame may break again. The broken weld is a real surprise and I will post a couple of options to fix the issue soon. The other problem is that I had to use a lower capacity pack to get under the weight limit and it probably can't last a full 3 minute match at full power.

In Shiny's case, the motor can supply full power as it has plenty of cooling and the battery pack is quite a bit bigger. Its only problem is the frame - I want to give it some testing at progressively higher power to avoid surprises during matches. If Mario's beater arrives in time, I'd start it out at 50% to see how hot the motor, ESC and battery get, then ramp it up from there.

With the beater design, I dropped the off-set teeth after looking at the FEA analysis. Its a compromise and with the Bisalloy or Hardox beater, I can always mill some shallow teeth later on for Mr Mangle and Shiny. Jolt's beater is S7 for now, so it stays as-is.

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:28 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Packing up!

The last part for shiny is finished; the fuse link retainer. I had to make it much lower profile so it can't scrape on the floor when inverted:

Now its time to finish reassembling Mr Mangle and put everything into the crate Smile

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:11 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Robots are on the way:

After some frantic last minute work, both bots are packed, along with all the tools and spare parts I could cram in:

Thanks to Glen, everything will arrive well in advance and ready to create complete chaos Smile.

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:14 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

awesome can't wait to see em in action..when do you guys leave?
Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:34 pm 
Cpnwolfe

oh man that would kill my nerves! very excited for your guys

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:41 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I am leaving on the 7th and arriving in time for the pre-event test day, Glen gets there several days earlier.

I wish I could say I'm relaxing with a beer and good movie but its still really busy in the workshop. There are three more pulleys to make for the beaters, another bearing block and lots of spare parts. Between the shipping crate (now known as the Battle Box Smile ) and the checked luggage, I am taking enough parts to build an extra bot.

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:47 pm 
Ellis

Yours are leaving?! I haven't even started mine yet!

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:47 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Well, you are a bit closer to the event Smile. Plenty of time to bodge something up and get to the NEC.

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:50 pm 
RogueTwoRobots

Trés excite!

With great power, comes great reliability

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:28 am 
TeamRiptide

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
the shipping crate (now known as the Battle Box Smile )

The box is locked, the labels are on - it's robot shipping time!

...sorry, I had to.

Which one's going into the main competition then, still Mr Mangle? Looking forward to seeing both in action, they'll be pretty scary!

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:23 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mr Mangle is more reliable and proven, so it's in the main competition. Shiny is potentially harder hitting and will be in whiteboards and the side competitions if invited. It might also become a parts donor for Mr Mangle if things go seriously wrong. I still haven't turned the weapon motor up to 100%, even on the bench, so what it can do before it breaks itself is unknown.

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:33 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Wow, look at all the work I didn't get through today. I planned to prep some spare ESCs, make a spare wheel or two and much more. Instead, all I basically did was machine six blocks and drill some holes in them:

The fused links came out well; they now have 200A fuses on the back of the plugs and are made of a tricky plastic called Hotvar. It is a high temperature UMHW-PE plastic that machines like Delrin. It's not much good for parts that take impacts, but great for electrical parts - particularly when you run out of Delrin!

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:08 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Progress:

I prepped two spare gearboxes and a couple of extra motors - nothing in the drive train has failed in Shiny or Mr Mangle so far but the UK event promises to be extra brutal this year. There are also a spare set of ESCs just in case.

The replacement beater for Shiny took a turn for the worse to day; after Mario went WAY above & beyond to get a Hardox beater made the machine shop delayed the work and wanted €400 just for the turning - the milling could have been the same again! As there was no guarantee that the beater would be finished in time, that project is shut down. All is not lost; I ordered an identical part in S7 steel from Whyachi and it shipped out Thursday to arrive here just in time to be packed Smile

The Bisalloy beater for Mr Mangle will be waterjetted by Monday and there is still a week for the axles to be turned down to size.

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:56 pm