www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

2014 USATL - May 5-6, 2014 - Miami Beach Convention Center
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author    Thread
andrew

hmm, watching the final for heavyweights, not impressed by brazil team. Amazing machines but they need to sort their conduct.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Daniel: very good point - I am just working on a proposal to post shortly

@ Angus: yeah, if the gallery has poor bandwidth, all these plans come crashing down. The streaming could be presented as a great promotion for the gallery; we could include their logo or broadcast some canned footage during the combat breaks.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:20 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:
hmm, watching the final for heavyweights, not impressed by brazil team. Amazing machines but they need to sort their conduct.

?

Awesome stream! high quality and it ran flawlessly here even with crap internets. Very enjoyable.

Event seemed abit of a shambles from the organisational POV and many of the robots were fairly ramshackle, tho it seems as though it's a meld of Bots IQ teams and a few of the standard ones so understandable.

They'd definitely need to pick up the game for next year to make it worthwhile going. Watched for 4 hours and saw about 4 or 5 fights! Confused Seemed like every 2nd match was a postponement lol.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Having seen the work Brad was doing leading up to building his streaming rig, I have already put together a shopping list to make it happen for Nationals and events thereafter, but after a discussion with Steve, I held off on discussing it just in case the US streaming turned into a flop.

My plan was to build a computer into a sizeable Pelican case that would be suitable to carry as hand luggage on a plane (<7kg, less then 500x400x300) with the following crammed into it.

Intel Core i5 4570S - $235
Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX Motherboard - $149
Corsair CMV16GX3M2A1333C9 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 - $185
Corsair VS350 ATX Power Supply - $45
Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB SSD - $99
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 - $99
Thermaltake Black Extreme Speed 3.0 Plus Card Reader - $39
2x AverMedia CV710 ExtremeCap U3 USB 3.0 Capture Box - $358

Total - $1209

A few custom things not listed would be POE supply with a loomed cable to run both HDMI and power between the computer and the GoPro's/Webcams. I would also fit a 17"-19" monitor and probably a Mac keyboard + magic touch pad into the case to make it a "close n go" package. It's an expensive package, but it's a lot nicer then carrying around boxes of hardware and running cables every where to make it work.

I have also investigated the stream connection options, if the gallery is unable to provide a connection, iiNet currently does a 4G data pack with 20GB of data for $75. Ipswitch and the gallery location has very good quality 4G, with personal tests showing 40-60Mbit Download / 35-40Mbit Upload.

Personally I was looking at funding the rig myself with maybe a small amount of help from BotBitz with the plans to recoup a small amount of funds via selling DVD's of events (via BotBitz).

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:50 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Forget the pelican, put it all into here: http://www.mwave.com.au/product/lian-li-pctu200-htpc-chassis-aa12568 Razz

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:54 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I went with the Pelican because I want to be able to fit a monitor into the lid and if it did have to go into checked luggage when flying interstate, it has a better chance of surviving luggage loading football Laughing

EDIT: A bit like the Ben Heck Xbox in a Pelican case build.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:55 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:

I was thinking the same thing while watching the second day (before falling asleep while the arena was empty). While powering down the guy half put in the weapon lock and then went to switch it off, couldn't find the power switch because it was burried too deep in the robot, mean while someone outside the arena picked up the radio and hit the weapon switch. The weapon lock flew up and almost hit him in the head, although not very hard and it did seem like lightweight plastic.
The european guys went crazy in the chat section about it and how removable links instead of switches would have prevented it all but the Brazillians team broke 4 logical rules that didn't matter if it was a switch or a link.
1) the radio was turned on and I remember at RoboGames the arena marshals where big on turning them off when the door are open.
2) someone was playing with the radio while someone else was touching the robot.
3) the weapon lock clearly didn't work
4) the switch was on the base of the robot and the access hole on the top so the allen key couldn't find it and he had his head over the robot trying to get them aligned. Except I saw 90% of teams fail that, including american teams, and they all had trouble finding the switches. Put the switch on the top. UK guys don't put their links on the bottom of the robot and that was the only difference.

That really annoyed me but I wanted someone else to mention something first. Maybe something else happened the 3rd day.

*edit* after watching it again no one was touching the radio when the weapon turned on, but the radio was on. My mistake. But does pose other questions.

Last edited by Daniel on Wed May 07, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed May 07, 2014 12:14 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Perhaps its just coincidence, but after watching 4 matches, 3 bots have caught fire - they need to learn about protecting their batteries and wiring.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 12:20 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Just watched the Witch Doctor vs Touro fight from the live stream ( http://www.twitch.tv/robotrevo/b/526362916 , 5:26:30 into the video) and it took 3 guys and 7 minutes to power down Touro. Plus the robot moved when he first started powering down. Does seem that at this event you have to leave your radios turned on after a fight because everyone seems to do it. Confused

Fun to watch the Brazil team reaction to the judges decision.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 2:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Half the builders kept leaving their transmitters at the arena table, it happened so many times that Bradley started auctioning them off...

Post Wed May 07, 2014 3:11 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

We almost need to go back to the oldschool TX flag system they had to prevent freq clashes, you only get your radio when you're about to fight - or for prearranged testing. Needs VERY good organisation though...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed May 07, 2014 3:23 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The UK guys are working on new rules to address this - its probably going to be better procedures for the arena marshals.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 4:24 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

I know this is anathema to an EO, but a good battery fire really gets the crowd going Smile

Post Wed May 07, 2014 4:40 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Some awesome photos take by Kevin Barker from the event.

http://kevinbarker.smugmug.com/STEM-Tech-2014/

Post Thu May 15, 2014 1:54 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Great find! Two things stick out: they had more fires than any event I can recall and there was a large percentage of bots with big exposed wheels.

Post Thu May 15, 2014 6:41 pm