www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

robots are coming to Australia, apparently
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

When I heard the UK guys might be coming over, I was pretty keen on getting the BotBitz cluster bot Double Dragon running so we could have some fun Sad

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 pm 
andrew

i could build a heavyweight if need be providing their was a situation i could compete with it in. Got enough wheelchair bits even if not acceptable for global comp would be more than adequate and entertaining for local stuff.

Ive been watching and competing in all forms of robot combat since i was about 16, im not almost 27 and seeing an australian setup mob not even look into us for something instead spending a fuckload to bring international stuff over is a little insulting. If Jonno etc look at this forum then im happy for u and nothing personal as ive been fans of your machines for years but i can see us putting on a sick featherweight event at any of these shows.

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:18 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Despite being fairly tame heavyweights, both pneumatic bots could fling some serious shrapnel during a 'demo' of flipping or axing something. I wonder what kind of arena they're building, but I highly doubt it'll have any kind of roof or polycarb walls. It sounds very much like the NZ robot 'event'. Let them enjoy their very underwhelming robot show.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:31 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Want me to rant?

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:42 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Put simply we aren't really setup to do such an event like this.

An organiser such as this wants you to come in and put on a show. While we don't need much cash, setting up a robot event doesnt just happen and it needs co-ordination from both parties in order to make it successful. My discussions with them was more still along the lines of whether or not it was going to be possible. They offered to build an arena and help with running it before discussions stopped but I wasn't all that eager.

Why wasn't I keen to let them build an arena?
Are you kidding? Let a bunch of contractors build a temporary arena which we would then put Demon Scissorhands and Catastrophe in for a start..... Yeh even if I did give them specs there is 0 chance I would trust it. What was the US or UK event where someone had the bright idea to substitute polycarb for acryllic? Odds are it would be not to spec and potentially unfinished. Maybe not but we didn't get this far.

Second part is we don't really put on a show as such. People love to watch but with our size its very difficult to make it into an all day show with stuff to watch. We don't really have the people I push people pretty hard already to keep robot battles flowing through but we still have downtime and quite a few fights which aren't exactly the most entertaining. If you want to do something as a show you need to start rigging fights, co-ordinating driving, etc. Not saying we couldn't do this but generally this isn't why we fight robots.

Putting on this sort of show is essentially what these guys do. They go to expos take their heavies as displays and then maybe battle a few feathers. I am pretty sure they would not have the weapons running on the heavies but are more likely to have some driving demos in a feather arena. And then have some feathers running.

So to summarise the UK guys have a track record, probably gave them an exact price in a few weeks, have the ROBOT WARS name and really don't care about having any form of event. EB Really! wanted to get something in this press release and were pushing early so its not surprising they jumped on it.

TBH I am actually surprised they are having robots at all. This isn't the first time I have been approached by an expo to do a show or event. I have got to getting them to commit to dollars before when they decided to bail so not really too dissapointed that at least this ended early.

Nick have you had any contact with them? If the UK guys are keen to work with us over here than potentially we could even have a semi feather event in the arena. Also I have had no contact in ages from the Ipswich gallery, I should heartbeat them and see if they are still keen. If not then could always do a follow up event in Sydney for nationals around November or very early December if people would be keen.

Steve

This wasn't really much of a rant.

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Steve - 100% right. We have the arena but not quite the number robots or knowlage for putting on a show. We do fights and competitions pretty well, but no experiance with shows.

What we really need is for one of us locals to "help" at the show so that people are directed here rather than to the FRA, plus learn how putting on a show works. Learn and maybe we'll get next years gig.
I'm happy that the UK guys are doing it, but it would be nice to be included as well.

Times like this make me wish I could have flown Huntsman home. Crying or Very sad

Actually it reminds me of the brass bands I've been in. For the C and D grade bands a concert and a competition are the same thing when on stage. But watching an A grade band at a competition and then relaxing at a gala concert is like watch two different things. Same musicians and simalar songs, but it is different some how. Guess that's why I'm a happy C grade Cool

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The organisers are looking for a show and a spectacle. If we put on something with robots smashing consoles their games didn't run on, they would have been begging us to sign up Laughing

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:38 am