www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

robots are coming to Australia, apparently
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

robots are coming to Australia, apparently

http://mobile.news.com.au/technology/design/robot-wars-battle-arena-heading-to-sydney/story-fnjwucti-1226887824242

My wife just sent me this link. Did anyone know about this ?

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:10 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, i think they contacted Steve then never got back to him or something, he can chime in Razz

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's the event I found out about from the UK guys - its a shame they couldn't get anything local. The way I heard it, there is no arena coming this time and the bots will only be doing demos inside a pen made of railway sleepers.

The UK guy said it would be fine for us to put on something as part of their show and hand out promo material. The only problem is that Steve had that weekend pegged for the Nats event.

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ersh I can give you am overview of the conversation if you want but yeh that is pretty much what I expected.

Steve

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:37 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Should we add comments at the bottom of the page? Maybe to convince people we are already in Australia?

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:25 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I was holding back until we talked about it. Let's all post some links and positive comments about how the local scene is alive. OTOH, perhaps some Aussie VS the Brits comments to build up a bit or patriotic fervour? The EB Games expo web site mentions featherweights, so perhaps we can drum up some support for actual matches with an arena. Its a slim chance but if they have space, it wouldn't really cost the organisers anything extra.

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:43 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Basically they were keen but as of Feb they wanted to see arena setup on full with a demo on a weekday in Bris/Ipswich. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to sort this out nor did they seem very serious. Had no response and then we got uk

When they said they do the robot wars guys from the UK I expected heavies with semi static display. Which is pretty much what they got. You guys are more than happy to do anything I am probably not going to be attending this year but have been liaising with Ipswich as to whether they are still keen to do something.

This weekend as it is a long weekend around the same time as last year is the most obvious time to host the nationals. Which is why it was originally of interest. But there is no hard and fast rule on when it has to be but given they have already paid someone to put on a show you are going to get $0 out of EB.

As for the article being wrong would be good to link to highlights from last year and say no.... They chose to bring some robots are already here. Then again I remember a very similar headline for QUTs over advertised dissapointjng robot expo so whatever. Media is the media.

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Let's not burn any bridges; how about I get in contact with the UK guys and find out if we can A) get any presence at all and B) if there is space or opportunity to set up a featherweight arena for some UK versus AUS action. It might not work out, but it definitely has some promotional advantages.

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:09 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

They might be keen but keep in mind even transporting and setting up the QLD arena and insuring our presence is going to cost at leat 5k+

And as I said don't expect any cash from EB that won't happen but they probably aren't going to turn you down if you are willing to do it for free and only have to deal with the UK guys not us directly.

Steve

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:36 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Emails sent; let's see what happens. I also doubt we will get any funding but let's see if we can at least get some space and take it from there.

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

I dont have time to do much about this myself, but I think cross-promoting our local stuff at this event is the minimum we should try to get out of this, banners, websites, flyers or something. idk.

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:10 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

http://links.ebw.ebgames.com.au/servlet/MailView?ms=NDU2Nzg3NjIS1&r=NTEwOTA0ODQwMTkS1&j=NDIyNjM1NDAxS0&mt=1&rt=0

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:59 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.ebexpo.com.au/robot-wars/

And at 2 minutes in.

"For the first time in Australia: Robot Wars UK". Guess they need to keep mentioning the UK bit to make us happy. "Exclusive" "First Time" and the "New Arena" makes me more curious.

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:20 pm 
andrew

Ok part of me is pissed at this as for years we have been putting the hard yards in and cn easily do a badass event at supanova or eb expo or even ironfest or many of the other misc metal/sci fi/pop culture things going about

We got the arena, we got the machines, we know how to put on a damn good show with positive results from all that we have done

Id love to see some uk heavyweights as much as the next rabid builder whos been doing this for the past 8-10 years but parts of me is annoyed this isnt a build date i can work with for an awesome event in front of a fascinated crowd.

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

While I don't want to belittle the UK heavyweights, the EB organisers seem to have gone gotten less for more this time. There are only 3 heavyweights and from what I heard, they are only doing very limited demos, with the possibility of shipping over the entire HW arena next year. For the UK shipping cost, we could have built a whole new FW arena or shipped the QLD arena and built a couple of house bots.

The real question is: why did EB decide to go with the UK heavies? Apart from the obvious attraction of huge 100Kg bots, its probably because UK robot Wars has a good corporate image and the EB suits felt more comfortable dealing with them. Whatever the reason, We should take any opportunity to piggyback onto the event and learn from the experience.

BTW: did you see the ticket cost? Shocked

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:03 pm