www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team M3N7@L B0T - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Author    Thread
Tim

....that piece of bread board keeps getting smaller.

Will be taking a heap of material off the "front" once tz85's & a receiver are fitted & nicely padded in there. Should be able to knock 70mm off across the front.

Have a steel order sorted $100 bucks should cover it Very Happy not going to go bisalloy, so there will be a defenseless chewy bot out there with no weapon Sad . To start with atleast! something to learn to drive! my invertible brick bot haha Wink

Last edited by Tim on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:49 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Looking good dude. Very Happy Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:45 am 
Tim

Cheers miles Very Happy jules Very Happy I can see now how a cardboard mock-up can give perspective relative to dimensions & materials, read - weight vs strength.

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:57 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Very neat! You could go one step further too, and angle that plate in so you have a wedge - would add strength and reduce the size too.

Here's some pictures of roadkill, to give you an idea of how it was made (mostly from steel box section I found for free ... haha) It was very underweight, so I just added 12mm thick plate to it till it was about 10kg.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/dyrodium/temporary_zps44e0e280.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/dyrodium/WP_20130208_003_zpse97a91af.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/dyrodium/WP_20130209_007_zps3646e6c8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/dyrodium/WP_20130209_006_zps0cfd3a7e.jpg

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:58 am 
Tim

Cheers, thanks man Very Happy you know I was inspired by roadkill! what size wheels were you running? I've already found some possible clearance issues! I know I sound like robot/ideas pirate but as they say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery haha Very Happy

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:11 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Haha not a problem at all Smile I was running colsons, about 75mm in dia. The trick is to get 'just' enough ground clearance so you don't get stuck - but you're low enough that the bot isnt flopping back and forwards as you accelerate as it makes steering really difficult - more weight forwards will help with driving.

I shrunk the frame way down height wise by welding the top plate on, and having the bottom 6mm base affixed with countersunk screws. If you mount all your electronics and drives to that base plate and keep it removeable, it makes welding, repairs and tweaks to the frame WAY easier as you can remove the electronics as a single unit. Good luck with it! Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 pm 
Tim

Cool, a heads -up on these matters really helps Very Happy makes a big difference I was checking out those pics and trying to figure out "where did the screws go" because the top is totally flat in the painted pic Wink I like the all in one removable unit idea very cool.

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 am 
Tim

Colsons ordered Very Happy [url] http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/BPDWC11.html BIG PHAT TRACTION yummy!!! Very Happy

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:35 am 
Tim

At the risk of sounding like a broken record as miles has already answered this question re: HK international order delivery time's = approx 3 weeks.

In a live chat and follow up email this morning HK informed me my order was approx 14 days away as of the 2/12/2013 - order originally placed on the 21/11/2013, TX & Case was JIT stock only found out about that a few days ago after hassling them, I choose that so it's my problem I can live with that, however would have liked to know it was JIT before parting with the cash, could have just ordered the $35 HK TX.

However in an email I received an Hour ago from HK they state the order which "apparently" was shipped on the 2/12/2013 was just shipped today??? "YOUR ORDER MAY TAKE UP TO 45 DAYS TO ARRIVE." HK

Any one else had a similar experience of HK if I sound a bit narky about it, it's because I am, was keen as to compete asap - and after being told conflicting stories / given conflicting information not really impressed with HK. Evil or Very Mad

I have no faith in what they say or when to expect delivery........

Will be making sure all my orders come from the AUS warehouse from now on unless absolutely necessary to order from OS as was the case this time.

I'll get brick bot built just not as soon as I would have liked, we'll see what happens with this order.

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:34 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah this sort of stuff happens a bit ….and it is Christmas time….I reckon you will have it in 2 weeks... Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:46 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

With HK, your either pay for the tight assed shipping and accept that it will take 3-4weeks to arrive, or your cough up more cash for EMS / Fedex etc etc and get it express shipped, where it lands on your door within 7 business days Smile

EDIT: Also, Avoid ordering in January / February due to Chinese New Years destroying HK stock and supply for 6-8 weeks.

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:49 pm 
Tim

quote:
or your cough up more cash for EMS / Fedex etc etc and get it express shipped, where it lands on your door within 7 business days
did not know that was an option, would have done it had I known.

after talking to them again apparently they are using "Australia Express Channel" if that makes any difference? to delivery time that is? they assure me it will be here in under a fortnight.

Would be nice if the "express shipping" Knightrous mentioned and Australia Express Channel are the same. Apparently UPS Express 3 Day Courier here's the link for other newcomers http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_postagetable.asp such as myself. My 4kg order via Australia Express Channel $46.85

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:28 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

HK has recently had a heap of changes to its shipping. So this may have not been an option.

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:55 pm 
Tim

quote:
HK has recently had a heap of changes to its shipping. So this may have not been an option.

Ok cool, not sure which option you are referring to ? never the less it's on its way Very Happy

On a positive note scored a crash cam today "black box" Very Happy , very light! so if I can fit it in the bot will do so. USB powered / SD|TF Card / AV output / HDMI nice piece of kit. After reading some where on the forum - footage of that nature would be good value ( I know it's probably been done before but hey gifted crash cam perfect! ) will try and make it happen.

In regard to crash cams being USB powered ( currently PC power ) Car --> cigarette lighter, I assume hacking the cable to make it shorter = less weight obviously & 12v on the + & - lighter end soldered would do the trick open to suggestions.

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:03 pm 
Tim

Ok so my HK order arrived yesterday Very Happy

what I've been waiting for

Image quality is poor I know......

So I got to work last night.....

......and I have no idea how to use the TX Laughing
will keep at it.

Last edited by Tim on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:40 pm