www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Demon Robots - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

Author    Thread
maddox

That is because the UK flippers don't use a pulser.

And only a few use a liquid stopper. And I believe all of those are build by me. Sorry if others copied the idea tough.

Post Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Righto, better jump onto the beetleweights and finish them up.

Killer will be getting its armour welded instead of bolted together, a better battery and i need to take a look at his drives. I did notice that the motor pinions are pushed too far down from new and seem to be chewing out.

Also gunna try put together a co2 beetle flipper. Nothing too flash. Just 2x co2 inflator cartridges direct into a 3mm solenoid valve and a teensy custom ram. Will be handy for studying flipper arm gemoetry and so on.. Not easy to do on the full sized feather.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

HOW BOUT DAT HEAT D:

Finally modded hunchback with the direct buffer. Threaded a 1/8 npt hose into the bottom of the buffer tank and the other end goes right into the ram. The smallest hole between the ram and the tank is 11mm, thats in contrast to the old setups 8mm with two right angle bends in it.

Hopefully that can be opened up to 13~mm with a 1/2" BSP fitting.

Here's a couple of test fires. The first few tyre ones are at a reduced pressure to make sure it wasnt about to explode, the last one plus the demon flips are at full power. I kinda run towards the robot at the end cause it landed on top of the lipoly >_>;; better make this setup a bit less ramshackle.

Definitely has a lot more kick to it. However the geometry of the flipper itself is the biggest limitation. You can see that it just spins them around in the air, not good for max height. That and the robot kinda rotates backwards, throwing away heaps of energy in the process. So ill weld on a few "wheelie bars" at the front and have another go.

Even so, the arm is much too short and cant really get under the opposition enough to flip them with any decent height, such are the rules of the sportsman class however. So for the proper version of my planned flipper i too might have to look at a 4 bar flipping arm, otherwise it will need to be super low and long. That will make it really hard to armour up decently plus requires a very short ram which will make things tricky.

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Definitely go 4-bar!

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Well looks like 4 bar it is.

Tried a last ditch attempt to get this thing flipping nicely by putting some long wheely bars on the front of it. Seems to go quite a lot better as it doesnt tip fowards at all, but still imparts too much of a spin to the opposition. Looks like the arm has bent too without the aluminium strips bolted in to it.

Anyway, rode in the pouring down rain earlier this week and gave myself some super death bug so spent some of that down time designing a new ram base to facilitate the 1/2BSP fittings. This one should be even easier to make then before and permit a higher flow due to the path past the valve.

Going to cook that up and build it into a 4 bar test bed when i've had a play around with laser cut prototypes to find what will yield the best throw height with the least "spin" Smile

A couple of other things i'd like to play with is replacing the 1mm vent hole in the ram with a 2nd tiny valve and have that automated via the arduino. That could yield some handy power as you can see co2 shooting out of it while the flipper is still extending watching the high speed vids.

wouldnt mind putting a longer arm on there too to observe the effects, however i think doing so is a bit moot when i'll definitely be moving to a 4 bar anyway.

Lastly do any of you pneumatics guys know of a pressure sensor that can go up to 60bar ~ that isnt hundreds of dollars? Super keen to datalog random places in the system (buffer, ram etc) but at $300 a shot, doesnt look likely in the near future Sad

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:44 pm 
assassin

Why reinvent the wheel when all the hard work has been done already! Just 100% copy mine already... lol just kidn couldn't help myself.

BOOM only 600PSI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWQ_cf3Tp0U

There is some more pics in that photobucket account, watch that youtube clip above too.

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hahah yeah, pretty much is evolving into a clone, curse you and your getting everything right the first time-ness Crying or Very sad There is a nice sense of satisfaction from slowly seeing something improve tho Razz

You should really finish him off one day, the thing is basically done!

Cheers for the album too, ill 'ave a look through it Very Happy

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:38 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Late bday, early xmas present for myself Very Happy

Finally, needed one for long enough.

Now to sort out re-arranging the workshop, finish welding table/area and polish the laser off. Slowly approaching my ideal setup Razz

Fun times.

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:59 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Such mill
So machining
Very jealousy
Wow

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:47 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

you know it'll be ideal for about a week right,
then there will be just this one other thing...

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Real nice ….i like how you used the coke can to shows scale …damn that thing is big…...be able to shove a whole feather under it…. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:49 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Ahh geeze, Haven't posted since November. I swear I'm still alive. Just working working working, which is never a bad thing really cause i can finally get all the tools I've been dreaming of Very Happy

Mostly spent the time since the nationals reorganising the workshop, getting some nice new tools and having the thing walled in. If anyone is a certified builder and wants to do it for me, please come and take my wads of money lol!

Anyways, might as well post up whats been happening. Had to fix a few of the typical horrors that lurk in chinese machines. The "bearings" (aka thrust washers) were all broken so they needed to be replaced in the Y axis, and the X axis didnt have any bearings on one side, so i had to lathe the cast iron end cap for them. What a horrible job.

Goes very nicely now however. Really impressed with it, managed to slot some 10mm steel in one pass without any hassle at all, and it's just sitting on its pallet still heh. Still gotta bring the stand home from work at some stage Razz My old X2 would have shaken to pieces attempting even half this cut seriously.

Bought all the tooling for it from CTC on ebay, for chinese items they really are nice quality and the runout of them is impressive, recommend them for sure. Just waiting on my tormach fly cutter to arrive and hav to shop for a rotary table then this puppy will be decked out nicely.

Laser cutter is getting towards legit completion. The laser power board somewhat crapped itself as my dodgy reattachement of the high voltage lines come apart and started zapping the case again. Really couldnt be bothered dealing with it anymore so i bought the nicer 60w power supply with PWM input.

Installed the new cutting bed as well as modding a few things to extend the cutting area. Plus i started on the adjustable height lens mount today for it. Then that should bring the mechanicals up to their final spec Very Happy

The heat exchanger for the laser tube also got some attention. Andrew found it for me in a scrapyard but the plastic coupler between the motor and pump was sheared. So i cooked up a new one out of magnesium, this was the first job on my mill too *sniffle*

The flat stub slots into the pumps input shaft -

Then the other side slips over the motors shaft to keep it centered. The bolt through the center engages in the matching slot in the motor.

When the tubing, flow sensor and silver anti bacterial coils show up i can plumb that up and call the job done Very Happy Might have to look at diverting some of the output flow though, she pumps pretty hard lol.

And lastly, Finally got all the parts for my bandsaws hydraulic down feed from an completely useless ebay seller. The little spring and arm setup peeves me off so bad, so this makes it all quickly adjustable. The tank with the black cap is a temporary reservoir (its off my pocket bike heh) until i weld up the new one from the bits of U channel.

Need to weld up the rest of its mounts when things quieten down around work *yeah right* Razz

As for the robots, definitely still have my flipper in the pipe work. Accumulating parts for it as i put together a vague design in my head. 4wd, two big drive motors and a 4 bar full pressure flipper based on hunchbacks system should give you some idea Smile

Post Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:44 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

You are going to love that Tormach fly cutter! Just be prepared to rotate/change the insert fairly often as it seems to chip easily.

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:12 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

carbide inserts don't seem too keen on interrupted cuts in general. Did you get that chipping when you were running off an edge or down the middle of a flat?

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I mostly use the fly cutter for squaring up blocks of aluminium and plastic; nothing too demanding. The insert in this tool has a much thinner edge than most, making it less rugged. It has 4 cutting points and leaves a great finish, so I am really not complaining.

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:52 am