www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

silvertone electronics

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

silvertone electronics

http://www.silvertone.com.au/
Anyone seen this place before? I've just hade a browse around their site and they seem to have old-style, but cheap radios. It also sais it's in riverwood, which isn't to far from sydney. Anyone ever heard about it before? Their recievers are built to be tough too! Very Happy

Quote from their Q and A section:
"Question. Why have you used a metal transmitter case when all other manufacturers use plastic? It makes the set look so old-fashioned.

Answer. A question of cost I am afraid. The die-set for a plastic transmitter case costs upwards of $50,000 and in the small quantities that we produce sets, the amortisation of such a cost is not possible. However remember that the only reason that the other manufacturers went to plastic in the first place was to reduce costs. The aluminium case is more durable, easier to clean, provides a better ground-plane for the antenna and shields the internals from outside radiation from other nearby transmitters, thereby helping to reduce third order intermodulation via direct injection. It took the overseas manufacturers years and a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get a plastic transmitter to perform as well as a metal one and they still fall short on 3.O.I. I would be very loath to go to a plastic TX case even if costs were not a factor. True, plastic does give one more scope in shaping the external appearance but is this the measure of true worth? Remember also that the Mark 22 case is quite different from the traditional folded sheet unit. The welded seam construction gives the finished unit a very professional look. We can also offer the case in personalised colours for an additional fee of $49.00, something that cannot be done in plastic."

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:52 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Whoops, sorry. I misread their site.
FULLY ASSEMBLED AND TESTED TRANSMITTER (Classic 6 CH)

$545.00

But the fact that their reciever is metal-cased is still way cool. A little out of reach for me.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:21 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yes i have heard of them, because thats where my reciever came from.

they get a triple thumbs up from me, my reciever has had the aerial hacked off by scoopy doo and still works as though nothing happened to it.

also the guy seems to be making them for the real entusiast (bob i believe his name is.) as in he adds little handy features that big companies would just shove aside for cost cutting reasons. like being able to plug the battery connector into any plug on the reciever.

and im sure the reason there so expensive is that there all hand assembled and built to last,

although i think brett and gary had bad experiences with a silvertone kit they built themselves.

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I think our problems with our silvertone was mainly due to our limited experience with Radio, and the Tx being 29Mhz..

We havent had much luck with any 29Mhz FM Radio's, and I built it in a custom case, with a big long lead up to the controls and various other things that might have contributed to our problems.

Bob is indeed the owner/designer for Silvertone and while we didnt have much sucess with them ourself, the build quality of his gear was impressive and if the Australian Army and many other clients use the silvertone system, it must have something going for it.

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chris

what is their cheapest set? I really need a multi channelled radio and now would be a good time considering i'm like the only guy still running on 2ch

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i would say it would be very expensive, the smallest set seems to be 6 channel.

i would say buy one of the AM sets brett uses. they work great and you can use a deans antennae.

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:48 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

You could buy one of these (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=HRCJ84**&FVPROFIL=++&search3=Go) for under $140 after importing it from Tower Hobbies in the US. They are 72mhz, 3ch can be expanded to 4ch and they are dual conversion which eliminates even more of the radio noise.

I'm looking at getting one in the future.

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:19 pm