www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Demon Robots - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Hey, hows things been lately Smile

Cheers for the words, i'll take it all on board, but for now ill probably only run it at 150psi+ and test it on full pressure after the event. All the nitro solenoids are pretty pricey and would need 2 of them.

Such crap weather lately, blarhg. managed to bust out the piston in this sideways rain. Ended up using a single piece design as a bit of a safety factor, just to stop the thing shooting out the ram god forbid.

So how much swarf does one make, turning a 60mm rod into a 30mm piston. A hell of a lot. :< There's even more on the floor. Subtractive machining is always such a waste lol

The diamond tool holder busts out a pretty good finish too.

Chop him off in the bandsaw :3 cannot live without this tool now.

Face the other end off and huzzah! all done. Didn't put the seal grooves in yet as i'd rather wait to recieve them and machine it to fit.

So that leaves the top and bottom end caps. The trickiest bits no less. But anyway its looking good if exceedingly heavy Smile

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

looking genius...so smooth Shocked

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Definitely first class machining Smile. Are you going to add an O ring to the piston or just rely on a close fit?

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:39 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Cheers ^^

It'll have a pair of seals, hopefully legitamate pneumatic ones to help it return super smooth, but o rings should work as well. Haven't cut the grooves yet cause the seals have'nt arrived Smile

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

jealous, I wish I had no job and no money so I could have time to learn this as well as you have Razz

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:41 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Perhaps I'm not up on the latest gossip, but does'nt Glen have a day job building REAL combat bots?

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:44 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Indeed i do, but i did learn all this during the rather large period of poverty and joblessness Laughing

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:45 pm 
assassin

I'm good thx...

I only used one solenoid valve too remove air from below the shuttle, the main piston has a hole in it for the main camber. This follows the KISS rule more closely in my opinion. Of coarse you normally use a bungee for return on these Bad Boys! hehe

Post Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:17 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Interesting, this one will have the equilisation ports, but how do you fill and fire it off of only one nitrous valve?

Does it just have a second inlet port without a valve connected directly to the main co2 tank and the nitrous valve just dumps it out faster than co2 in can replenish it or something like that?

Anyways here's more machining. Got the end caps started. This is the top one. That big ole 100mm billet whipping around in the lathe at 2000rpm is pretty frightening, but i escaped death this time Razz

Chopping the turned piece off.

And after some facing drilling and boring, the turning aspect is done. I have to drill the holes for it, and i'll be using a laser cut template to do it as my rotary table is a laughable piece of junk. Hopefully that turns out well Smile

Next jobs are machining the top UHMW bush/bumper, drilling the top end cap and then starting the final piece, the base end cap.

Post Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:35 pm 
assassin

Check out my CAD: http://www.teamonslaught.fsnet.co.uk/pneu.htm

(what a great design, you should see version 2!) hehe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWQ_cf3Tp0U Version 2 - Vapor bot Chucky

The solenoid removes the air from below shuttle > the shuttle fires the ram.

Keeping that in mind take a close look @ the the CAD, you will see a horizontal line one on the shuttle AND one on the main piston. These are drilled holes for air flow.

Understand how it works now?

Of coarse the size of the shuttle hole is important, and also keeping (mainly the main piston) hole clean/not blocked.

These are just some of the details in my design. I spent a lot of time working on the design of the ram and the four-bar, so it would have the best chance of working right the first time. Your style of engineering of troubleshoot as you go, produces a faster result and it WILL see combat! hehe

Post Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:51 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Thats it, thats what makes the hobby so awesome too, everyone has such a different way of going about things Smile

But anyways i get how the valve overall goes, co2 in the bottom, closes the shuttle valve and it bleeds through the equiliser port in the shuttle into the buffer.

It's more i'm not sure how you fill the valve/buffer and then vent it using a single 2/2 nitrous valve. There would have to be one valve to fill it then one to vent it off again unless the buffer/valve is being constantly filled? I'll draw a pic up later cause i do a horrible job of explaining what i mean Razz

Thanks for the help too, hopefully you can get it going for the brisbane event later this year Very Happy

Post Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:52 pm 
maddox

There is only 1 2/2 valve involved.

The flow goes as follows. Open the main bottle and the buffer gets filled. The springloaded shuttle keeps the ram closed from the buffer.
A small hole gets CO2 behind the shuttle, adding force to keep it closed.

Opening the 2/2 valve on that chamber behind the shuttle lets the pressure drop , so the pressure in the buffertank pushes open the shuttle filling the ram instantly.
This small 2/2 valve can be a ballvalve actuated by a servo or motor.

Oh, btw, I did make such asetup a few years back. After testfiring it on low pressure, I scrapped the idea. It's heavier than a comparable setup using a 9 or 12 oz painball bottle as buffertank. The only advantage is size.

I'm using this idea to operate a homebrew 1" valve in Bullfrog, with a Burkert as "waste valve".

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:52 am 
assassin

Yes thats how it works, thanks Mario. The main piston in my ram is a ripoff of maddox's rams, and without your guidance these no way I would have got it done. So while I have your attention thank you.

BUT

With my very limited experience I believe this design(if done well) has a big performance gain and is lighter. I'm not about to prove that anytime soon any further than I have already tho.

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Righto, so there is a constant flow into the buffer once the main co2 valve is opened. I was planning to have one valve to dump the volume and one to fill it directly, but if you dont need that, all good! Cheers.

And Mario, this one doesn't have the buffer internal to it, its also an external 20oz buffer tank, the valve is just inside the ram body Smile

Had a spare moment after work and finished the top cap. Here's how i've been doing concentric patterns lately. A 3mm laser cut template just locates into the piece and you use a center drill to start the hole, remove the template then drill it the rest of the way through. So much quicker than setting up the rotary table. Seems to be accurate enough too (touch wood lol)

First template, this is for the vent holes in the top of the cylinder.

2nd template for the tie rod bolts, this one has a locating ring bolted to it that sits in the bored out recess.

Done Smile Changed the design to have 8x m6 holes for the tie rods. that way i can use 4x 6mm ones to save lots of weight and if that isnt enough go up to 6 or 8 of em.

Next up is the top bush/bumper and then the almighty base valve.

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:27 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Remember to turn the gas on with the flipper in the up position and do the same thing when you vent the gas out of the system (Otherwise the flipper will fire... Hey Stevo!)

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:38 pm