www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Demon Robots - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

What an up and down 2 months.

Saved tons of money to rebuild my workshop and kit it out, then my bike got stolen, joyridden and written off Mad

So all my time, money and effort/stress for the last short whiles gone into that. At least the new steed is plenty faster <3

Managed to squeeze in enough time to finish my 4 bolt compound clamp. Seems to work very well indeed. Now there's flex elsewhere but not in the toolpost. A success of sorts lol. Probably just needs the gibs on the carriage adjusted but the lathe is fair impressive now.

Have to remake one of the stack pulleys in aluminium with a mount for a commercial timing pulley to replace the lathes crappy timing belt setup. Will probably change the ratios too to give it a lower speed as well.... Whenever i get the time Sad

Gotta run out and grab a gas heater for outside so i can make robots at night, but here's the materials for my sportsmans ram and valve. Let the latheration begin! Very Happy

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I would like to see the plans for your ram and valve, if you don't mind.

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:27 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Having your bike written off really sucks! Did the the thief also get written off?

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:07 am 
maddox

If catched, I would suggest the thief/joyrider can have a go in the arena.

We could ask the question then "will he blend?".

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Razz apparently they did, i never heard back if they were caught but there was blood on tank and seat. I think they tried to wheely it with 2x people on it and flipped the bike over. Take that scum! hahaaa

Phil, i have it drawn on paper (have turned into such a luddite lol) but its a simple as anything aluminium ram, 100mm outside and 60mm bore as thats the size of the metal available , with a simple piston valve bolted onto the side so i can make new ones/toy with everything later on. Think QEV with a floating nylon/hdpe whatever i can get piston inside of it.

This late in the game just getting something built for testing and refining is what i need, cant spend anymore time umming and ahhing about what to make! Smile

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:14 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Alrighty, much musing and so forth done, time to build. In typical fashion everythings changed once more in the name of building this quickly Razz

The ram, Just a plain jane ole piston valve spud cannon / plan c / trent's ram style thing. But its made with multiple machined pieces instead of being done from a single item, so it wont be the end of the world if i wreck one. Plus it will be easy to alter parts for testing. Size is 50mm bore and 120mm stroke.

The cylinder itself is 5mm wall hydraulic tube and the white valve is UHMW. The lot is clamped together with 8mm tie rods. Overbuilt, hell yes Razz But i would prefer none of this explodes in my face first time round. It can always be refined and rebuilt in a more weight efficient manner later.

Should also be capable of firing off of unregulated co2, i just have to find a suitable valve to vent the pilot volume with. Theres a couple of nice small valves for Nitrous injection in cars, so i might try one when the time comes. The pressure ratings are right and the flow doesn't really matter so they could work okay.

First piece machined. This is the "plug" at the bottom of the ram that the valve will seal against. Its a really tight press fit into the cylinder with two o rings for some redundancy. Excuse how cruddy it looks, i had to bash it out of the ram for a photo Razz

Next item to make is the uhmw valve. Might be tricky as my last experiences have shown its a bit of a bitch to lathe smooth. The delrin i used in the spud cannon machined beautiful but its probably too brittle. Ah well. testing required!

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:42 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the UHMW smooth with that fancy new HSS holder of yours, if its razor sharp! Razz Pls don't blow up at the event XD

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:00 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I think its more that the umhw is so soft it doesnt cut, it tears off and leaves a shit finish, but yeah we'll see. Theres enough of it here to practice with XD

If this one blows up then by all means every ram made ever should as well lol. It can't get anymore overbuilt D: weighs 3kg dammit XD

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

lucky you're not claiming this is a sick day Razz

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I am merely honing my work related skills Wink

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:20 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Isn't this new product development? Give the man a pay rise Smile

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:21 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Nice Smile

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:38 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

looks great....cant wait to be flipped by it Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:11 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

These guys know where its at ahah Cool

Got the valve done, 60mm square of uhmw into a 50mm rod.

Halfway there

Not a bad finish at all really. This diamond tool eats uhmw alive. Only real trouble is trying to hold it in the lathe. Its just so soft trying to clamp it marrs it pretty badly. I think i know how to do it better next time so i dont have to rejig the piece.

You mean to tell me you got ALL THOSE PARTS from that giant piece of uhmw?

And there it is. Seals very well too even just sitting there under its own weight. Most impressed thus far. Still need to shop for some proper pneumatic rod seals before i cut the groove in there for it.

Next up i think will be the piston rod and top + base pieces. Unsure as to whether ill carve it from a single piece or go two seperate pieces. Probably two in case i want to change something Smile

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:11 pm 
assassin

http://www.teamonslaught.fsnet.co.uk/pneu.htm

There is a cad of my ram on the page above. What I did was create a bit more of a 'lip' for the shuttle valve to seal on the ram body, thats not in the cad. Also remember that shuttle will have @ least 800 psi pushing it into the main camber, I think my shuttle has a bit more 'meat' behind the opening.

I used a drill clutch spring too which worked well, also I used a nitro solenoid. I used trick o-rings just for the main piston.

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:07 am