www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Digital Cameras

Author    Thread
colin

Digital Cameras

I'm thinking of getting a digital camera. Prefer something with manual focus...beyond that....give me advice .... please Smile

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:21 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Get optical zoom rather than electronic zoom. You could always go without zoom.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:25 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

What's your budget? Some cheaper cameras I have seen have a manual focus, but its always fiddly to use. The better Nikon camera let you chose what the auto focus focuses on, then lock the setting - I use it for macro shots. The top range Sony DSCF-828 Cybershot does manual focus and zoom like an SLR but its pretty pricy @ $1,700 (worth it IMHO)

Then you could go for the SLR Nikon or Canon models Shocked prepare to sell a kidney to pay for them! The Canon EOS D300 is the most affordable at around $1,500. The Nikon D70 @ $1,800 would be another good option.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:54 am 
mytqik

I have a Fuji S5500, paid about $675. It has 10x optical & 4 x digital zoom, to many shooting modes to get my mind around, plus has full 30frame per sec movie (alot only have 10fps). I am really happy with.

It takes the smaller SD memory cards (about the size of a 20c piece) whichare slightly more expensive than the sony memory sticks etc, but they are also more reliable in my experiance.

All up it is a pretty good camera, looks like a baby SLR & does more than I will ever need it to do.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:09 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

I have had a total of 2 digital camera's (my budget is never very big) and many of my friends have them.
I find that one of the most important things is
-a- the time from when you press the button till the time it takes the shot
-b- how long the shutter is open.

Many digital camera's (and not only the cheap ones) blur the image if it is moving or if it's an action shot they miss the action cause the take to long to take it.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:15 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Personally I wouldnt buy any digital camera that uses any sort of "SD" card..

The whole concept of any storage device telling me whether I am allowed to copy the data I put in there is anathema to me. "Secure" hardware is made to protect the interests of Big Media (Sony, Warner Bros, etc), not your rights.

Stick with Open-Standard, non-copy-crippled formats like Compact-Flash if you dont want Sony to "own" your information. Dont go for something locked-up just because its a bit smaller.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
prong
Experienced Roboteer

New Fuji cameras use XD memory cards and a few use compact flash as well. Not sure if XD is open standard or not.

Brett I am not sure what you mean about the storage card telling you whether or not you can copy the information?

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:30 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Have a look at section 4 here.
http://www.sdcard.org/sd_memorycard/index.html

Any storage device that has CRM (Contents Rights Management) in-built is like buying a copy-protected CD, or a Book with a lock on the cover IMO.

It allows the media stored therein to determine when and where you are allowed to use it.. totally against the principle of "fair use"..

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger