Experienced Roboteer

Interesting.... Robot Wars eh

http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5702

Steve

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:59 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Woah! Awesome Smile

With luck this will provoke another 'golden era' such as the first TV series did

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:52 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

They only have access to the branding so far, I don't think you'll see a TV series suddenly appear any time soon.

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:21 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Sorry for the cynicism Confused , but all mainly I see on that link is people asking when/if the house robots will be back, will craig charles be presenting it, will it look like the original arena and who the pit babes will be.

So in other words, most people couldnt give a toss about the competitors bots, they just want to see the famous big rule-breaking house robots with personailty/style appearance chewing up outmatched competitor robots in an arena full of fire again..

And the big news is actually just the rights for roaming robots to use the name "Robot Wars" on their shows, after the stupid legal battles that resulted between the yanks and the poms over who is "The Real Robot Wars"..

*yawn*

As I have said, I think there is potential for Robotic/Mechanical combat to do some exciting new things, but its probably not going to happen with people who just want to return to "the good old days"

Maybe we should put the *Roboteers* in the arena and have the Robots outside judging *them*.. since most Roboteers seems to be far more interested in fighting each other than working together to make things happen..

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh but at least they have managed to negotiate to use the name after how many damn years. I just thought it was interesting not really looking to see another TV show.

Has anyone watched the new scyfy series? First ep is out I think.

Steve

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:57 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

http://www.syfy.com/videos/Robot%20Combat%20League/vid:2626626

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:16 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

brett, we're all capable of working out the cynical side for ourselves, can't we have a little positivity for a change? it's still a move, examining wether its in *exactly the right direction* is really looking the gift horse in the mouth imho

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

OK,..

The positive side of my cynicism is that I trying to point out to you guys, that what excites *you* in terms of engineering skill, a good & fair competition, and comradery and helping each other in backyard events with good fights, is *NOT* what the average couch potato remembers the show for and what they want to see in any hypothetical future show.

They seem to want big, mean looking bots with personality (even if they are really just being remote controlled, they dont want to know that) that ignore the rules chewing on a hapless competitors robot and destroying it with lots of special effects and fire/smoke, while the competitors team wear rubber chickens on their heads or something, commented by a exciteable sounding voice, with a bib boobed bimbo doing the interviews.

Gee, that was hard to work out that that would be what would appeal to the average armchair surfer now wasnt it ?

So.... you want the money/fame of a TV show ? Give it to them ! Forget about trying to make it a serious sport, it doesnt work as far as entertaining the brain-dead tube-feeders goes. Figure out some scripts, come up with a plan to build some media-friendly machines instead of the current ones that have about as much visual appeal as an angle grinder. Give them sparks and booms and fake drama and make them drool. Make a scripted Pilot show with a fake story about some robot equivalent of a karate-kid builder who gets his ass whupped and then comes back to steal the show.. ("Real Steel" anyone ?) Smile

Or, continue running it as a serious sport, but forget about the glitz and glam of the little idiot box, because you just got reminded what the interest of the average boob-tube viewer is..

Now do you get what I was trying to say ?

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Hmmm you do give me ideas.

Steve

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:03 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Knightrous:
http://www.syfy.com/videos/Robot%20Combat%20League/vid:2626626

Yup, that would fit the criteria. Smile

I guessed it wouldbnt be too far away after seeing real steel.

Although that looks very post-production-faked to me, with the sparks and smoke, and a suspicious lack of any close ups longer than about 0.5 seconds.

Bet you its done in a studio, with a script, and carefully controlled matches. which of course wont bother your average "reality TV" drone at all, they want it to be real, so it will be to them.

(and people wonder why Ive never owned a TV.. theres ample evidence of their brain destroying effects, but they make the population docile and easy to govern, so nobody who wants to rule will take them away.. theyre too handy for controlling dumb people with Wink )

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:54 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Some of the background music was very robotwars-esque... Laughing
I can appreciate pretty advanced machines like that, but it's 100% scripted... Like everything else on TV.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:00 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Why am I not surprised to have just noticed Mark Setrakian in there Smile
(The creator of Mechadon for those who dont know the name)

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

This is pretty much what happens when you throw money at Mark. Given that its a reality program I dont think I will be able to watch it for long enough to see any of the robot bits though.

Commercial TV makes me sad.

Steve

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:11 am 
shreddy

I couldn't watch it any longer than 10 mins.

There is a big difference between 'fighting robots' and 'fighting' robots.

If you want to do what you want, yet be entertaining so as to increase your audience/popularity, those who actually want to be competitive and have fun doing so are SOL. You can't get good exposure or long, entertaining fights without purposely choosing how robots are built and who they fight and in what circumstances.
Without script, the majority won't enjoy it. There it is, plain and simple. Obvious to the average person.

At the end of the day you can't please everyone; "Haters Gonna Hate", just do what you want/can do and hope for results, otherwise little sacrifices have to be made along the way purely for those reasons.

It's a shame Sad

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Last edited by shreddy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:35 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah Mark Satrakian used to Rick Bakers right hand man(rick is one of the gurus of special effects makeup and life long hero of mine) Was good to see mark in that show but......its the contestants that are the turn off.....and whats the go with those sticks holding up the robots? Was difficult getting through that episode. Sad

Hope they do make a new Robot Wars series, even if it isn't as good as the original..cant do the sport any harm. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:24 pm