www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Marayong Summer Slam - December 18th
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Lindsay, I hope you used lots of Gaffa - Basilisk might beat your bots otherwise Laughing

I will be bringing a video camera and all your tapes back. I didn't have enough disk space to digitise much, but the tapes were very much appreciated anyway.

We need to think about a format for tomorrow - We don't have enough bots for the usual tree format so perhaps a test of the new annhilator suggestions?

With just 4 bots we will have to be creative, but if we video it for everyone to review, we will either get some approval or new ideas so it has to be worth a go.

Post Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:35 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

I could not find my gaffa tape Sad I had to use screws! Shocked

Post Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:34 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hang your head in shame! Very Happy

Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

well today went reasonably well.

there was prong and bort and their friends, nick, myself and the jeffs.

jeff introduced the new in arena camera mounting that has tilting and panning and such and u r able to watch through it on the TV. takes some practise to get a nice smoth visual and controll to view eveything but i got the hang of it and was doing reasonably well.

There was some testing with basilisk and we killed that damn tree stump some more and Nick was kind enough to give me the controlls and i was able to smash that stump around the arena and into a good many pieces. driving that things pretty easy too as i only hit the wall once i think and that was getting used to it. One hit launched basilisk across the arena which was cool and the stump also. this was with the heavier larger teeth on than last event too.

Thanks to nick for that. u r the nicest guy ever,

Prong and bort's bots were cool. one looked like a twisted gardener with its pichfork lifting mechanism and funkyness. the other was kiddy car motors/gearbnox's and stuff all mounted inside a tyre.

The matches that i was able to see were basilisk versus car tyre bot and which case the tyre did well. didnt do anything buy run around pestering basilisk. But for versing basilisk it had basically no damage on it after the match besides some minor internal problem with a battery bar disconnecting in his lapton nimph pack that he was using. the tyre bounced away at every hit and absorbed basically all damage but some minor burn marks on the rubber which does nothing.

the second match was with pitch fork bot verus refbot and it was fun to watch in the lifter on pitchfork bot was actually very well driven and very well controlled for 1 of 2 bots built in a day. had basically no armour though and stuff. refbot with jeff was alright though in ramming him a few times and pushing him around.

singularity was hooning around nicely and jeff was kind enough to let me hoon it around a little bit which was alot of fun.

we sat around chatting on ideas for next season and for ahnialator and so forth and ill let the others post their ideas up as i dont remember them in great detail but they sound very positive and promising. had some sausage samwiches (which were beautiful) then had to go to a family thing.

Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:40 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

After Andrew had to leave, We had an exciting 3 way match with Singulatity, Tread and Basilisk. I was pretty happy with the match until we all mysteriously developed radio problems Sad

After that, Singularity versed Fork and fork did remarkably well! It came close to lifting Singularity several times and was nearly as fast. Singulartiy eventually tipped fork over with it's front wedge, but for a bot that's barely 6Kg, Fork did really well.

I just finished 2 videos which will be posted tomorrow AM.

Between matches we discussed next year's NSW season and particularly the Annhilator format. We came up with several excellent ideas that will simplify events and provide more equitable scoring - Jeff will be able to explain it more eloquently than I can. We also came up with a different format for the Annhilator that I am very excited about!

Post Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:38 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Here are the event videos. I didn't have much battery time left in the camera so not everything could be videoed.

The first match shows how to annoy a spinner. I hit Tread multiple times at full speed and nothing much happened.

Tread vs Basilisk : http://203.221.217.82/Bas-V-tread.wmv

I finally knocked Tread's batteries apart in the final seconds.

The melee was smaller than usual, but still exciting until we all experienced radio problems. Tactics ruled and I am not sure who the winner of the match was.

Summer Slam Melee : http://203.221.217.82/Summer_Slam_Melee.wmv

Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:13 am 
Eyce

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:
well today went reasonably well.

there was prong and bort and their friends, nick, myself and the jeffs.

jeff introduced the new in arena camera mounting that has tilting and panning and such and u r able to watch through it on the TV. takes some practise to get a nice smoth visual and controll to view eveything but i got the hang of it and was doing reasonably well.

There was some testing with basilisk and we killed that damn tree stump some more and Nick was kind enough to give me the controlls and i was able to smash that stump around the arena and into a good many pieces. driving that things pretty easy too as i only hit the wall once i think and that was getting used to it. One hit launched basilisk across the arena which was cool and the stump also. this was with the heavier larger teeth on than last event too.

Thanks to nick for that. u r the nicest guy ever,

Prong and bort's bots were cool. one looked like a twisted gardener with its pichfork lifting mechanism and funkyness. the other was kiddy car motors/gearbnox's and stuff all mounted inside a tyre.

The matches that i was able to see were basilisk versus car tyre bot and which case the tyre did well. didnt do anything buy run around pestering basilisk. But for versing basilisk it had basically no damage on it after the match besides some minor internal problem with a battery bar disconnecting in his lapton nimph pack that he was using. the tyre bounced away at every hit and absorbed basically all damage but some minor burn marks on the rubber which does nothing.

the second match was with pitch fork bot verus refbot and it was fun to watch in the lifter on pitchfork bot was actually very well driven and very well controlled for 1 of 2 bots built in a day. had basically no armour though and stuff. refbot with jeff was alright though in ramming him a few times and pushing him around.

singularity was hooning around nicely and jeff was kind enough to let me hoon it around a little bit which was alot of fun.

we sat around chatting on ideas for next season and for ahnialator and so forth and ill let the others post their ideas up as i dont remember them in great detail but they sound very positive and promising. had some sausage samwiches (which were beautiful) then had to go to a family thing.

OMG, Welch wrote "The"! Laughing

Side Note: I do not have Sausages inside me, and I do not get eaten. Razz

Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:08 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

sounds sweet,

after all that steel i still get torn and a freaking tyre beats basilisk no problem!! arghh. anyone got any videos of the fork? that sounded like a kickass robot.

looked like your batteries where royally shagged there nick, just didnt look like it had any spin up at all.

Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hehe, I did finally beat tread both times by pounding the battery pack apart! I'm sure it won't be so easy next time - tread is hugely wedgeable so I will need some extra pushing power.

The batteries do seem a little tired, I got great spin-up for the test run, then the recharged packs just didn't seem to supply the juice. The weapon teeth are almost twice as heavy as usual in the first video, so a slower spin-up is only to be expected. In the melee, the teeth are about the usual weight, so its all down to the Nicads.

Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:53 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

hmmmm well a thought was raised have you cycled your batterys because apparently they get tyred if they arnt cycled properly (slow discharge and slow charge thanks kerros for that info) cayse yeah i was getting some weirdness with mine i would go great and then just die out likle there wasnt any juice left in em

Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:10 pm