www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Brushless VS Series Wound

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Brushless VS Series Wound

I've been kicking around the idea of making a high powered linear actuator for an electric car jack and potentially a robot. What I'm looking for result wise is that the actuator is high speed at light loads but has a lot of torque when load is applied. I keep looking at series wound motors due to them having this kind of characteristic as a motor. However, series wound motors are pretty ineffecient and with the current trend of using brushless in everything due to the high power to weight of the brushless, I'm not really sure where to go to.

I'm really looking to get as much speed as possible at light loads and as much torque as possible at heavy load / near stall for comparative motor weights. Effeciency isn't too big of a deal overall, if I can 15Nm of torque (@ stall) out of a series wound compared to 10Nm out of a brushless, I don't care if the series wound needs 300 amps to do it vs a brushless only using 100 amps.

Anyone have any case points they want to throw into this? Any applications of either system or similar scenarios would be nice.

Post Wed May 23, 2012 4:52 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

series wound will probably be more robust in terms of mechanichal bashing about not causing the magnets to die.
also if it gets a bit warm (running near stall) cooking the magnets isn't going to be a concern.

Post Thu May 24, 2012 11:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number