www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team RCC featherweights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Author    Thread
maddox

No test vids atm. As axe it's not very powerfull, but as selfrighter it's showy.

The drives.
We use the MSR 12-54/Ilyama Scorpion XXL combo drives for 5 years now, and had only 2 failures. 1 because Little Hitter shattered a magnet in 1 motor, seizing it. The electronics never cared about it, the current limiter doing a great job.
And another during demos. Just stopped. Ilyama checked the electronics, took small pliers, removed a tiny bit of swarf from the pcb/controler legs, and that one still is running , called Hannibalito III.

Another Dutch user of that combination had rather spectacular damage from Hornet , one motor lost the gear ,and the axle was bend 90° in front of the forward bearing. But after replacing the motor, it was good to go again.

I didn't get any further imput from the UK were several people are using those drives.

There is only 1 disadvantage. These are heavy. Easely 1.4 kg for the motors, wheels and gearing (and we get our main gears custom made in ali Mod 1 Z54 or Z72)

On 12V they have fair power and incredible speed. On 18V it's getting ridiculos. If we want to use the voltage limit on the scorpions, we'll have to use a greater reduction, a 2 stage 15/1 or so. The torque on the 900's is good enough , 1.1Nm stall @12V and 6600 rpm nominal. 12V 13A is nominal power.

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maddox

The test vid.

[URL=http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/Babetheke/Robot%20Wars/?action=view&current=04092010003.mp4] [/URL]

After the changes for the 2011 events. Just needing a black and red paintjob with our Obsidian Logo.

In the end, we are using a Sidewinder, as the XXL in combination with the speed 900's and 6S 2P A123's isn't ideal. Current limit kicks in fairly easy then.

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maddox

After more than a year being silent on this forum,
Team RCC can present Hannibalito 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyHDb6AONQ0

The robot with the white sides is Hannibalito 4

Main differences in this machine compared to its older brother Hannibalito 3.
Welded Ali frame vs steel frame
Large bore short stroke ram 78*45mm vs 50mm bore 85mm stroke ram
Gimson GR01 Drives 170mm Flex/Grafix Tweels vs Speed 900 - MSR 12-54 100mm wheel
3S 3300mAh Turnegy Nanotech pack vs
4S A123 pack.
Scorpion XL vs Scorpion XXL

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Good job. Always wondered why the vast majority of flippers aren't invertible. Being able to drive around and wait for the right opportunity to self right would be a pretty big advantage.

Though i wonder why the gearboxes weigh so much? The aluminium one with an extra stage + a whole heap of other crap is somehow lighter then a bare bones one made out of nylon. Perhaps he's being a bit pessimistic with the specs. But i guess that's better than most stores XD (I'm looking at you hobbyking!)

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:52 pm 
maddox

H4 had it's first full combat outing. The first 2 fights were a dissapintment due a glitch in the weapon. The drive and armor did save the day there.

The 3th fight, the weapon was active at full potential, and this is the result.

You can skip to 2 minuts tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98miNeQse84

Post Thu May 10, 2012 7:13 pm 
Mouldy

Ever thought about trying an alternative to a burket mario? Flows ram is only 2mm larger bore, and his flipper is way better....Hits the roof when self righting on 16bar

Post Fri May 11, 2012 6:17 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

nice job!

Post Fri May 11, 2012 11:09 am 
maddox

Yes Dave, I did think about another valve. And I did build one. Wasn't worth the effort, as explained on Woody's site. I sold the parts.

A Burkert 5404 . Add 24V+, gas or liquid with more than 1 bar pressure difference and there it goes.
Also, in the years I aquired quite a few Burkert 5404's. Why would I spend time and money to reinvent the wheel?

The tradeoff in weaponpower. There are more powerfull machines. Hannibalito 3 is more powerfull. Flow and its brother Diablo , more powerfull. Wedgie. More powerfull.
Can't it be that the weaponpower in H4 was deliberatly less?

Same for drive. Compared to the MSR drives in our other feathers , the Gimson GR01's are weak. Still these drives do the job well enough.
Again a tradeoff in time vs money. BTW when these are available again, I'll order another 4.

Post Fri May 11, 2012 3:43 pm 
Mouldy

why build a featherweight with a 78mm bore ram if you didnt want more power? I just thought since you custom build all your own rams and buffers, it might be worth the effort to get most out of your components by making your own valve, as the flowrate of a burket is surely holding you back?

Post Fri May 11, 2012 8:54 pm 
maddox

I asked Babs what she thinks about this conversation.

quote:
"does Dave drive a Lamberghini these days?"

Using the Bürkert hurts the potential of the ram.
Fitting the 5404 took less time, effort and money.
Ain't that good news to our opponents? Now they fly only 2 meters, not 3.

Post Sat May 12, 2012 2:16 am 
Mouldy

Nope not a Lamborghini... drive a BMW.

Whats the relavance? Wink

Post Sat May 12, 2012 2:20 am 
maddox

Just a way of second guessing somebody I think.

And talking about second guessing people.

I never claimed to be infallible, nor to be the god of überpower.
I just build Robot War machines and parts for fun.

Post Sat May 12, 2012 5:30 pm 
assassin

quote:
Originally posted by Mouldy:
why build a featherweight with a 78mm bore ram if you didnt want more power?

So the stroke can be shorter...

Post Sat May 12, 2012 5:49 pm 
shakesc

Been lurking for a while
I'm sort of with Maddox on this and especially since I have far less tools than he does

I would love to do more custom stuff but there's a limit on time and alot of the off the shelf parts for me are good enough - take the Gimson motors for example. They are a nice packaging of a motor and gearbox. I have some Bosch 35W motors but these need alot more time to package into a usable state though probably more powerful....

At the end of the day the weakest bit of my robots is my driving. Now if I could buy parts off the shelf to fix this I would Laughing

Post Tue May 15, 2012 1:19 am 
maddox

After Antwerp, I stripped Hannibalito 4 to the last bolt.

Learned some things I didn't want to know.

1) the 30*30*3 main aluminium "spine" was a banana.
2) the front bearings in the Gimsons tend to come out. luckely , due some customizing it wasn't interfering.
3) the weapon glitch was a sticking shuttle in the Burkert.

1) took a bit thinking. But I solved it with bulkheads. Something we didn't use in the past.
2) is simple to solve. Ewan did send me enough bearing retainers to refit all the units I have.
3) Replaced the shuttle from my supply of spare parts.

Pictures will follow.

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:44 pm