RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Run away robots

Author    Thread
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

Run away robots

all right
hypertheticaly
if you are at a builders meet or outdoors in general and yous start your robot and the failsafe fails and it rund off into the distants (remeber hypertetical) what would you do to try and stop it?
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:09 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

send it to a spelling class.. Razz

That would depend entirely on what type of robot it was, where it was heading, what weapons were active and what you had handy to use.

probably the safest thing to do would be to put something heavy in front of it. a log or a brick or something. assuming 1, you could catch it, and 2, you had one handy.

Otherwise, assuming its not heading towards anyone, stand back and wait for it to get hung up on a bump,kerb,whatever

Then go stand in the corner wearing this pointy hat and fix your failsafe !

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Think of your personal safety first. Think of other peoples safety second. Property can always be replaced if damaged.

It is a good idea to do tests with the wheels off the ground.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:44 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Andrew and I have talked a few times about run-away situations with robots, mainly Annihilation as it's our most dangerous. Basically, if it fires up in the arena, we are not going to go near it, it can just keep running untill the batteries die. In the pits we have the drop pin in to stop the weapon from going and the drive is on a cradle.

We don't run Annihilation at outdoor events with out an arena, but if it got out of control, if we had one on hand, I would throw a cast net over it. I think it is very rare that an electronic failsafe will actually fail, but it can still happen.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:33 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ive had this situation happen many times in real life,

what i ALWAYS do is run my robot in my garage, which has a wall on one side, the garage door on the front, a drop off the side into dirt on another side an i stand with on the open side with a good set of boots on.

so if it goes out of control itll just run off the side, hit a wall or if it comes my way i just slip my foot under the hammer arm and lift his wheels off the ground,

but yeah the failsafe will rarely ever fail. as long as your aerial is not touching the frame or anything it should be okay.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

We only test the robots when there are no "innocent civilians" around in a carpark with concrete guttering all-round.
But here is a very important safety tip: If your robot is out of control (or coasting in my case) DO NOT STICK YOUR FOOT OUT TO STOP IT!

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
prong
Experienced Roboteer

this happened to me once, testing robort when it was basically some frame and drive (no chicken wire or gaffa tape yet!) and Bort and I were driving it around on the driveway, anyway it hit a large bump and managed to pop a battery out of the reciever holder, leaving the reciever with no power and the servo switching jammed to full forwards Sad

Since robort had no weapon or anyhting at the time, I sprinted after it and grabbed it by the top and picked it up, about 5cm from hitting my car hehe

Depending on the robot and how easy it I would always try to chase it down and grab it, to prevent it damaging itself or anythign else. Though testing in an area where nothing can be damaged is good, also if I had an active weapon of any sort I would not leave it activated while testing the drivetrain.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:15 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry about the spelling it was round 12:45when i managed write this (had nothing else to do).

Anyhow IF the robot was being tested and you coulden't catch it with you hands or feet (personaly i'm not going anywhere near my robot when it's going) because it was bouncing off the walls what would you use to catch it?

liked teamvertexs idea of a net Smile
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:16 pm 
3Faze

Personally, I can't percieve a situation where an armed robot would be drivable outside of an arena.

If, somehow it happened with omicron, and the weapon wasn't connected... well, that's why I wear workboots. If the spinner was running, the only way I would consider stopping it would be parking my truck on it, which would probably mean I'd need a new rim and tyre minimum.

Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:10 pm