www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Progress (backwards)

Its been a killer week at work; back to back 1am emergency call-outs will really mess your head up, but at least it added $1.2K to the bot fund Shocked all up, I would really have preferred the sleep...

The ant weapon bars and beetle chassis are still a week away for delivery, which isn't surprising since it took two weeks to get the CAD sorted out. The ant electronics have not been going well but it might get fixed over the next day or 2 and could be running with a lame weapon bar for Sunday's event.

Deb's trip to the US is a cheap way to get new bot parts water-jetted, so I am hard at work on the new featherweight wedge-bot. Even without weight optimisation, it is coming in at 1.7Kg under weight, so the 8mm Bisalloy wedge is locked in Smile. Other features include 4 wheel drive and almost 440W of brushless motors, pluss 25mm thick aluminium sides to resist the nasty spinner bots. Its designed to be low maintenance and not uber-competitive, but should make a solid entrance at the Nats event.

The beetle-weight has had a setback; I totally screwed up the latest beater by gouging out a gigantic divot near a bearing, so that attempt is relegated to testing as it would likely split on the first big hit. I have already made many of the internal parts so once the chassis is welded up, it will get finished quickly.

Draw full o' neat:

While I was waiting for parts to be delivered, I neatened up the workshop a little:

$15 of woolies chopping blocks well spent! That's all the Tormach ER25 collets, the ER32 collets and the 5C collets neatly stored, with room for the MT3 collets and various accessories in the future. I also bought some cheapo foam mats from Costco to line the rest of the draws in the tooling cabinet.

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:20 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Wow, that's a really clever idea for the storage. Laughing Been looking at upgrading to decent drawers for a while and that'll be top of the list! you could almost do something similar for drill bits and lathe parts. Finally a use for those PP chopping boards when you realise they're too brittle for robots... Rolling Eyes

Curious to hear what the drivetrain plan is for the wedge, I know Gene has implemented inrunners in his latest beetleweight but said the reverse delay is still appauling and hopes he doesn't have to drive backwards much! Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:42 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Nick looks Epic! .....in stark contrast to your tidiness, every flat surface,including draws in our shed are coated in horrid metal filings and grinder dust. itch!

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:22 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

btw for storing end mills and drills a sheet of mini-orb in a drawer works well

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Let's just say that reverse is not an issue Twisted Evil at least with the drag that Scissorhands exerts with two brushless motors and the front pivot point - reverse is better than brushed motors and Victors. With four x 118 watt motors and a 4.4 Kg wedge, I hope to at least equal Andrew's performance with 'The Game' and maybe get some extra pushing going on.

@ Jake: What's mini-orb? The stuff I am using is really cheap floor mat, $16 for 8 sheets of 61 x 61 cm mat from Costco, which is not super quality but good enough for padding HSS tools. I haven't cut out the foam yet, every time I put down a cutter in a collet its "clunk, ouch, that's $$$ I just chipped off".

@ Miles: give it three months and my draws will have a fine coating of swarf. The trick is to take a hero shot right after you build a gadget and never mention it again Laughing

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:49 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

This a rough layout of the Wedge bot's frame:

The baseplate is one that Laser Wizard screwed up, so a new one is being made with a couple of improvements and its a bit smaller. The batteries will be smaller than the ones shown and the sides are 25mm thick. Since most of the weight is over the front wheels, I made them wider than the rear wheels, which should make skid steering turn the bot more around the front wheels rather than the centre of the bot.

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:53 pm 
haz

bloody hell Shocked

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:01 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

As I have said in the past sensored brushless control is trivial. Its basically look at Hall Effect sensors state and apply the required phase. Thats it. (well almost, in any case its not much more complex than brushed operation and 2in1 is by far more complex)

Sensorless is hard as its where you have to look at the excitation caused by the motor spinning to try and work out where the hell it is and you need to get an openloop startup routine working ect ect

It is on my todo list but is a while off but its more than doable. So you may be able to remove that stupid delay after all.

Steve

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:03 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

so are you saying you ran scissorhands on brushless drives? like the ones pictured above?

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:07 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If the brushless drive motors work out in the wedge, then they will definitely go into a future version of Scissorhands The ESCs are much smaller and lighter than Victors, so they can fit in the wheel pods, reducing the size of the main chassis. The biggest problem is that they run on 3S packs while the weapon motor is 6S for a Mag motor or a whopping 12S for the Scorpion brushless.

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:34 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Looks epic! The gearboxes the brushless the fat tyres!...why cant they make brushed motors look that fancy?

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:39 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The brushless motors are about 10 times more expensive then your average drill motor - for that sort of price, I expect some bling! Looking around on the HK site, there does not appear to be a cheap alternative yet. There are some sensored car motors in the $20 to $40 range, but they are all too fast. For robot use a motor around 20 turns seems ideal.

Beetleweight

The internal parts are coming along well:

The Mega motor is the only model I have ever seen with solder tabs - very handy for short wiring in tight spaces! The pulley and motor mount are both magnesium to reduce weight The motor support under the B16 motor is delrin; the rear of each B16 will be cable-tied into the support as I just don't trust the tiny M2 face mounting screws. The pulley had to be made by core drilling a slug from a bar of magnesium and then turning it down: a major PITA as there was practically no material to hold in the chuck!

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:29 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Haha, tell me about it, making beetle parts is painful even in my tiny C2 lathe Smile

The trickiest of all was lathing down TG9e servo horns to make into wheel hubs - admittedly that was for an ant

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:35 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Nick that is how we do our pulleys...cause we don't have a lathe...i made an adaptor for the hole saw kit that takes a 3mm drill bit in the centre. Then to grip it i tap out the centre and screw a bolt into it....that way it doesn't spin on the bolt....then put that in a driil press and angle grind it into a pulley with compound vice.....one day we will get a lathe he he.

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:08 pm 
bytraper

Nick,
did I ever mention i love your work ?
You make some seriously well made bots!

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:16 am