kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Re: QRSC - Robowars - Australian Featherweight Nationals

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
More details Friday 14th, July.

Steve

Thursday or Friday?

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds exciting!!!

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:15 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

You can count on me being there if nothing else. Definitely heading up a day or two earlier though, and im staying in a damn nice place this time.

OMG the last hotel Shocked XD

Nice vid too Cool

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

holy shit, nice video

yeah the trick is to have nice accomodation, and be able to afford it Razz

Im a maybe at this stage but keen

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Indeed, there was a place up the hill around the same area as the backpackers but it was a big serviced apartments. Would have worked out to be the same price as any other accomodation and damn it looked beautiful too.

This all assumes its at southbank of course! MORE DETAILS NOW PITIFUL EVENT ORGANISER >:C RAHRAHRAH Razz

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Don't like that video. Looks like I burnt more hair then I thought.

Put me down for 2 feathers and a possible third.

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:54 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Count Down Begins

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:07 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Robowars: Featherweight Nationals 2011
vent: QRSC - Featherweight Nationals
Date: 10-11th December

Ok guys time to start seriously looking at our end of year public competition.

Firstly a few things:
- The focus will be mainly on feathers. (Other weight classes may be present but will be for filler)
- Robot target has been set @ 16 Robots less than this and event wont run
- There will be entry fees, $50 - $100 per robot. (I don't know exact figure yet, please don't ask. Fee will be to cover public liability and arena maintenance costs for the club)
- Location has not been determined at this time, it is pending Robot Entries. There is currently a few options on the cards but can assure you it will be a public venue.

So how is this going to work. Basically we need 16 robots attending in order to run a decent 2 day public featherweight event. So there will be 3 stages.

Stage 1 - Call for EOI
- PM with Robot Name, Team Name & State to let me know you are interested and how many robots.
- PM do not post here, I will not count posts.
- Stage 1 ends on Friday, 19th of August @ 5pm.
- If/when the required robot count is passed we will move on to Stage two.

Stage 2- Registration
- Stage 2 will commence 2 weeks after Stage 1.
- This will be accompanied by announcement of venue & entry fee.
- Stage 2 will last for 2 weeks, ending at the latest on Friday, 16 of September @ 5pm
- Competitors will be required to pay entry fees. It is expected that all competitors who have put forward EOI will pay entry fees promptly.
- If the required registration number has not been passed and PAID for at the end of the two week period all competitors entry fees will be refunded in full and the event deferred until next year.
- NO Registrations will be accepted after this date. If you have not entered and paid at this point you are not eligible to compete.

Stage 3 - Promotion and Build
- Team and robot details will be placed on the QRSC website and Teams given access to the site to document their build progress for the event.
- Contribution is encouraged and footage and information displayed will be used for event promotion and possible film production from the event. (If you want your robot to be featured, cool vids will help)
- In order to qualify for event competitors will be required to show a demonstration of robot/s 1 month before event. (11.59pm, November 14th)
- Failure to show this will result in loss of deposit and disqualification from event.
- This will be assed through drive video (and where suitable safety measures are taken or arena are available) a weapon test video. Some weighting may also be given to documentation of robots progress.
- This is to ensure that the robot at least has a chance of being finished and competing in more than one round at the event.

Let Stage 1 begin.

Current EOI Tally 10

Last edited by marto on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:25 am; edited 8 times in total

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

FAQ
So this has been inspired to some degree by this thread http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1633 . There is a few reasons for the changes in the style.
The requirement of putting on a good show for a public event is a difficult one to meet at the best of times. And one of the main issues with this is simply having enough robots to keep the crowd interested and the arena hot most of the day.

The second major issue is the cost of running such an event. In the past we have had some good support however these sponsors come and go. It is also one thing to go looking for sponsors for an event which may happen and another for one which is going to happen.

Why 3 Stages?
Well the first two stages are basically a registration. However it is unfair to ask people to front money months in advance if the total may not be reached. The splitting of step 1 and 2 allows for a short time in which entry fees must be paid which mitigates this problem to some degree. I will admit its not perfect but if you would prefer to pay up front then I will gladly store your cash in the QRSC coffers.

Why are the entry fees so high? AKA I don't want to pay $100 to compete.
Well the entry fee is there purely to cover the expenses we have to run the event. Some of which will be covered by the QRSC it is to allow us to begin planning and upgrading the arena immediately, where as most sponsorship deals will pay 50:50 before/after at best. This also means in the even if there are no sponsors for the event or they pull out the event will still run.
If you don't like the amount of cash you are spending just to compete then do something about it. Go to your local businesses and ask them to sponsor the event or your robot, even if its only $100 or $200 this can cover your entry fee, contribute to prize money and make the event bigger and better for everyone. If 10 people were able to contribute a sponsor of $200 we would have covered the cost of the event.

Why won't the event be confirmed until all there is 16 robots?
<16 Robots does not make for a good 2 day event. Robots break, and for good reason, but you still need to be able to fill the arena with robots to please the crowd. With less robots this becomes a big challenge, by the end of the second day you have large gaps between the fights which leads to the crowd being bored and the builders trying frantically to get there robot back in the arena ASAP. It just isn't worth the stress and disappointment of trying to pull it off with less than 16 robots.

Why Feathers?
Well people come to watch the big robots. The Ants are fun to watch as well, don't get me wrong, but people come to watch the big robots. Along with this running multiple classes at once is always a challenge and one which I have not been able to do successfully to date. Based on this the decision has been made to focus primarily on the feathers. We may setup ant arena and throw in a few fights as filler but there will not be a draw, prize money or a winner.

Why must I show my robot working before hand?
As builders we are all guilty of leaving things till the last minute. This is a deadline which you must meet. If you can't then you will not be able to bring a robot which will stand up to more than one round. It should not be a challenge for a competent builder (you have been given notice) If you are not competent then you will need at least this much time to work out everything else on your robot. I have already been kind and extended it till Sunday 12pm, so don't ask for an extension.

Why should I document my build for the event?
Well people love watching about how the robots were built almost as much as the event. Documenting your build and posting videos means we can promote the event, people can watch your robots develop then come barrack for you in the arena and it gives us footage to make promotional videos and event videos afterwards.

Why is the Nationals in QLD?
As we are the only active state with a portable public arena.

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:03 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
PM with Robot Name, Team Name & State to let me know you are interested and how many robots.

That suggests a team can enter more than one feather; is that a typo or can we really bring several bots per team?

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yep you can bring as many as you want however.

quote:

There will be entry fees, $50 - $100 per robot.

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:34 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

No problems about per-bot fees. Can you have a think about the rules and publish something about how matches between two bots from the same team will be handled - ie must we have one driver for each bot / can one bot forfeit (bad for the finals) / can one bot be driven by some other team, etc. No hurry for an answer just as long as we have some idea before the EOI cut-off date.

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:36 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

So you're asking for a robot name before we EOI, does that mean that the robot has to be already under construction or at least drawn up in its entirety first?

Can we use a placeholder name?

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:39 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Running multi-robots will be along the same lines as it has been for many years. If you are drawn against yourself you are expected to fight with a nominated alternative driver (I don't see any problem with this being one of the other team members). We haven't had to deal with this too much in a round robin context so I will still need to work out the specifics.

I need to think rather carefully about this as if you say you can't forfeit one robot may "break" and then be "fixed" for next round. Or if you only give points if the robots enter the arena the robots may be put in and then one just happens to break on the spot and not move. (Always a crowd pleaser) Also do the same rules apply to the round robin rounds as the finals. Will get back to you on this one.

As for robot place holder names, yes thats ok but if you haven't got a name or design in mind you are already starting to worry me about making the one month before drive deadline.... Have a think about and before throwing in a placeholder and decide whether you will have the time to get it ready for the event. (Not specifically aimed at you Jameus, just a vapour bot as an EO is not a lot of good to me)

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:05 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

yeah understand, i certainly dont want to throw vapour bots at you

problem is im flat out getting a beetle organised for serial space as well Razz

i might have to take some time off work Smile

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:19 pm