www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

An idea to encourage EO's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Oh theres enough bots out there, but a significant portion of the builders are "if I can be bothered and dont hit any last minute problems while Im building at the last minute" type which is what caused the problem.

I know several builders who can be counted on to show with something decent if they say they will, its the uncertains that hold EO's back.

Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vignesh

Im nearly finished anyway. But it seems to me that most problems come when finished...

Last edited by Vignesh on Sun May 29, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:09 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Haha ah well.

Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:10 pm 
seanet1310

I agree with many of the potential problems while many of the points of view from the seasoned EO's (brett and steve)

i think we would need a proposed date before people start promising money. For legistics a website like angus mentioned would be the way to go. Might loose a little bit in fees but seriously no one wants to handle large amounts of cash and refunds.

Would have to be round robin or similar

It is a real shame the robowars arena sits there empty and set up. I have no time to organise an event as my time management skills are just not up to scratch, I could do some support, setup and help out on the day I am just not as organised as Steve.

Unless we are going a big exposure public large scale event >$200 I think may be a bit steep.

A point while not as relevent now, back in the day most of the current actives where in middle highschool while competing, building and travelling. How many could also front the cash? travel is a decent bit of cash to put up front for an event as it stands with flights and accommodation so this may be of consideration. And lets remember even paying hundreds to flight and stay up for an event people have turned up with quick low quality bots so the theory may not be quite there.

I support the idea of EO getting a bit of compensation as suggested but no one is getting rich any time soon.

Could be a good idea to explore for the next big event.

Edit. TO make it clear. I have no problem with this for any event however only the bigest events in my opinon can draw the big cash. Smaller events could go with $20-$50 without problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Last edited by seanet1310 on Sun May 29, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vignesh

Im with seanet. I think we should just leave this idea for the big 'whatever many bots nereded for a big event' events but thats my insignificant view on this.

Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:52 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Most of you know what Production level goes into most annual RoboWars events hence the approx ~$200 entry.

Remember, its not a simple entry-fee that you would be paying, you can get most of it back (and more) if you try hard). Only no-shows or give up after round 1'ers would lose most of it.

If any other EO's want to do a smaller scale event at a lower cost, feel free.. I will advise and provide limited assistance, but promoting, running it and chasing potential competitors is your problem Smile

Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

See QLD thread

Post Sun May 29, 2011 10:26 pm 
Vignesh

Does that mean your going to implement this into the next event?

Post Sun May 29, 2011 10:28 pm 
bytraper

I think Brett's idea is a good idea, though I'd probably limit the entry fee to maybe $100 and the refund for participating bots to a maximum 25%.

That way you can have prize money for first place, with maybe prizes instead of cash for second and third place so you can also give the EO money towards their time and costs (what they don't recuperate on the day). Prize money attracts competitors.

I'd also like to see a bunch of posters printed up (which could be done really cheaply), and pay a little to get those bill posters to put them around the place to promote the event, not only to intrigue new competitors, but to generate interest for the promoters and bring spectators.

Post Mon May 30, 2011 9:02 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

The main problem I see is that a firm date won't be set until until entries are high enough. Most interstate builders don't want to enter event until the date is set and they can calculate travel, accomadation and time off work into their buget. I didn't put my name down to going to NSW last year because the EO didn't confirm the date until all the plane tickets/hotels had been booked out and it was too late to get time off work.
Also if the EO is dealing with an event that is only held during one weekend, such as the Ideas Festival, then the date must be locked in.
From past experiance I know that enteries double when a firm date is locked in as soon as the event is opened for entires. When an event is 'around the end of october' the replies are usually 'maybe I can come', but once the EO says an exact date the replies change to 'yes' or 'no'. I wouldn't want to pay $100 and then have the EO select at date that I was already busy or the same date as a football grand final when there are no plane tickets/hotels.

Post Mon May 30, 2011 12:44 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Dates could be discussed prior to a date being locked.

Perhaps a date could be proposed, with a cut off date for all prepaid entries to be in by. The date the promoter needs a go/no-go by to start the organising work on.

If they arent all in by that date, then the event is cancelled - prior to people ordering plane tickets/accom etc. a bit of a hassle with refunds etc then, but not much you can do about that - perhaps a wiki list of entrants with "paid" status attached so everyone can see who promised to enter/pay but hasnt yet.

Im sure there will be some issues to sort out along the way, but as I said, If competitors want events, I think its time for them to shoulder a bit of responsibility for actually showing up when they say they will..

At the moment, EO'ing is too much like throwing a party where you never know how many people are going to turn up or drop out after x round's until the day, which leaves EO's in a state of tense anxiousness until the event is over.

Its not much fun at all.. If someone really wants to know what that "promoter" feeling is like, try putting *your* name down for organising a public event and spending weeks/months wondering if it will come off or you will be left looking stupid/broke and feeling like you wasted your time afterwards.

Post Mon May 30, 2011 1:30 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I think for an interstate event a "big event" its a good idea. Might quibble some with the $amount but anyway ($100 is significant enough to me).

I think vic needs to be able to have small events, where failure is an option and a smaller turnout is ok. Having those kinds of events leads to people building reliable bots as its an iterative process and just hurling $ at it won't fix it. That seems to be the downside to the sidetracked arena/setup, having an event with 5 or 6 bots turning up is too hard and asking newbies to jump in against scissorhands and not be toast after one round might be a bit much.

Post Mon May 30, 2011 1:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Vic *can* have small events..

The Sidetracked arena is available for anyone to use for as small a get together as they like.. the requirements for doing so are listed in another thread somewhere, and they're not onerous.

Its just that it seems noone else can be bothered doing it, and I have had my fill of EO'ing..

Post Mon May 30, 2011 1:45 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
The main problem I see is that a firm date won't be set until until entries are high enough. Most interstate builders don't want to enter event until the date is set and they can calculate travel, accomadation and time off work into their buget. I didn't put my name down to going to NSW last year because the EO didn't confirm the date until all the plane tickets/hotels had been booked out and it was too late to get time off work.

It could be implimented as follows:

- EO expresses they wish to run an event, a thread is created on the forums proposing an event 4 months away.
- 1 week is given to discussion of the proposed events date.
- Once a date is selected, the EO then confirms this date within 2 weeks (allows them to arrange venue). This gives builders over 3 months warning.
- EO then sets a "Call for Arms" with a cut off date (say 2 months prior to confirmed date), minimum attendance and entry fee. This gives builders 1 month to make up their mind and pay the entry fee.
- At the cut off date, EO announces if the event is going ahead. Builders can now book accommodation and travel tickets (if needed)
- ????
- Profit! Or Big robot event with a bunch of committed robots!

2 months out should leave enough time to organise travel/accommodation/leave for the event. Hell, I organised a flight to Townsville on xmas morning 2 days before xmas Laughing

Post Mon May 30, 2011 3:01 pm 
shreddy

Yes I agree entrance fees should be implemented in Vic, $20 or so for small events and 50-100 for big interstate events. Discounts should be there for teams putting in multiple bots (rotwangs for example). Could help with motivating Vic builders if they could win some money.
Aarons list seems like a great starting point for organizing, should be noted down.
Personally, I don't think there should be this 'buyback' payment system, adds too much hassle to an already full job for the eo. Should just be a prepaid non-refundable entry fee.
If someone turns up with a crappy bot then it deserves to get broken, with exceptions for newbs. We all know what it takes to build atleast a decent bot so if someones gonna waste time then they should be prepared to see what the other bot can do to it. Having a round robin shouldn't mess up the day if a few bots are taken out (literally).

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:07 am