www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Motor questions

Author    Thread
Andrew_Campbell [WA]

Motor questions

Hiya, folks. I have a couple of XU-1's and while I am happy to use them in ECE, I am wondering if there is a better alternative that is affordable. (Well, I know that there are many alternatives, but are there any that are recommended above all others) If I wanted a 2wd bot, and was willing to spend say $150 per motor, what would I be best getting?
Regarding voltages, I was thinking of 12v, but 18v or 24v would be not too much of a stretch, depending on the ESC's I end up using.

So, a generic question, really; are there any motors out there that are recommended, without going mental?

Cheers.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:00 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Most cheapy chinese drill motors (Huang-Chen etc) will definitely fail more easily than a better branded equivalent. Brush Holders break, plastic bushes and fans melt and sometimes if you cook them a bit the rotor comes loose from the shaft.

They're good enough to get you going, but in a sustained pushy match after match big event, they will often let you down.

"Johnson" brand motors seem about the best value/easily available/quality balance in my experience. Metal bearings, not bushes, better plastic on the fans, and stronger brush holders.

Gearbox wise, you can mod up drill gearboxes and get them moderately reliable if you're preapred to tinker, fidget and fuss about. In standard form they're about the same as the motors. Good enough to get your moving, but if youre up against any serious competition, make sure you have spares and acknoweldge that you will lose occasionally due to a gearbox failure.

I'm going to give the banebots P60 gearboxes a go. Reports seem OK on them and they're easier to mount than drill gearboxes. pretty pricey though
http://banebots.com/pc/P60K-nnnn/P60K-55-0004

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The P60 gearbox is a great unit - it will be about $80 landed in Australia which is well under your budget. The motors that Banebots sell are about the same quality as Chinese drill motors (not great!) so I replace mine with RC car motors. The higher power 'hot' motors will overheat very quickly, even on 12V. I use rock crawler or lathe motors that have more winds on them. For 12V, about 35 to 45 turns should be right. Have a look here: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLYV2&P=7 .

Another advantage of the Banebots gearbox is that Banebots also sell matching wheels

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:52 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

The XU1 motors seem more reliable long term than the Dicksmith 18v ones, which all blew up brush springs on me (probably from shocks) I would suggest finding a pinion puller, and just buying up some half decent 540 size motors, i've had very good success over the years with my drill gearboxes, changing motors sometimes and rarely gearboxes, I don't do pushy matches though. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:53 pm 
Andrew_Campbell [WA]

That's the thing, though. ECE's strategy is going to be ram an opponent into a wall, tip them, then flame, so an ability to outshunt an opponent is an important one, as is the move speed, as an opponent running rings around me will make it much more difficult to pin them down.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

if you you need speed AND pushing power, then the best choice becomes the Team Delta Dewalt kit. http://www.robotcombat.com/products/0-TD-RCM515.html . They are a bit over your budget, but will definitely deliver the performance you want.

TheP60 with lower gearing and a larger motor might do OK; Banebots is supposed to be bringing out a 775 sized mounting kit.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:43 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

As from our discussion before, if you did choose the dewalts you will be up for a fairly beefy speed controller, or one with good current limiting.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:49 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

if you go on the american forum you can usually get a decent set of dewalt drives for $200. i got mine originally from there. Smile but you do need a controller that ll handle it. the 885 victor was great. id love to say the sidewinder is great but mines been nothing but trouble since i got it.

if you use a wheel with no that much traction like the red wheel with a better hub you could probably escape with stock drills. seeing as the wheels are kinda like a limiter of sorts. use 4x drills and your set.

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You could also try asking any local tradies for old cordless drills. I was given some Panasonics for free from a sparky.

Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:00 am