www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Hello!

Author    Thread
Thomas AIC

Hello!

G'day! My name is Thomas and I live in wahroonga, sydney. I was halfway through my beetleweight robot when I discovered this site, so I am now gathering parts for my new featherweight design. I am just wondering whether there are any "trade secrets" I should know. and more specifically, Is a 3000MAH 20C lipo battery enough to power a 40A draw brushless and 2 of the XU1's at 11.1v? and also does anyone have any experience with: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp and expecially their 6ch cheap radio control system:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9042
(I use mode 2 because I am left handed)

Thanks

P.S. I'm only 14, it doesn't really matter but I just think you should know that you won't be seeing any flamethrowers on my bot! Mr. Green

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Welcome!

a few of us have the 4 channel one and there fine. the 6 and 4 use the same guts anyway so your set there. im sure most of us have bought something from hobby city as well Smile

i think a 3000 20c will be okay for the drills i think but with a brushless motor i wouldnt think so. even though they say 40 amps they start up with a much higher current then that. my one is rated at 80 amps and at startup the current is well over 150 amps.

youd probably be best off getting a few a123 cells off ebay and soldering them yourself. i think there cheaper then lipoly now anyway and the quality of chinese made lipolys is questionable at best. bonus being A123s wont catch fire and burn your house down Razz

what model brushless do you have also and what are you driving with it?

in saying that ive heard of people using the zippy 5ah 6 cell ones with good success. there expensive though.

as for trade secrets i think any of us could fill a book with them Very Happy best to just post some designs or thoughts or something like that in the build report section and get some opinions Smile

our next event at marayong i think is on the 6th of next month. hope you can come out Cool

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Welcome to the community.

Age isn't a big problem here, a bunch of us all started around the age of 14/15, we all found ways to get it all together. If your looking for some general tips and some helpful information, check out the Riobots guide
http://www.robocore.net/tutorial. It has about 300pages of great information Smile

Feel free to ask for help (Just use the search function first Wink ) and I'm sure you'll get a lot of assistance from everyone on here.

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:01 pm 
Thomas AIC

Thanks for the quick reply! I am going to say something straight away, I have low funds and am really, really cheapskate Embarassed So for my first project I am not going to be able to get the A123 cells, but to my knowledge they are just High quality Lifepo4 cells? so would I be able to get 10 of these:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5105 and connect them in packs of 5 with those packs connected in parallel?

also the motor is this cheap asian model: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7871
(sorry for the 40amp draw typo should be 45)
this motor will be driving a horizontal spinner that will most probably be a saw blade, while I am still classified as a noob, what would be a good size for a spinner on a featherweight bot. my basic design is leaning towards an inspector general like design, essentially a really low blade and a left wheel forwards, right wheel backwards spin as my main attack strategy, no doubt this will change as I get more knowledge in the maths relating to spinners ( I am currently reading the riobotz combot tutorial)

and if I can get Pro-desktop to work on my computer I will have a very pretty cad model for you!

I won't be able to reply again today as it is bedtime, Goodnight!

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

For starters they dont say the discharge rate beware cheap batteries of any chemistry really and if your connecting two packs in parallel to get twice the capacity then you could buy a123's for the same price and have one pack with 2300mah capacity.

A123's now are about $10 a cell off ebay but make sure they are a123's as some sellers try to make out they are but there a china copy if you look threw the forum there is a thread called annoying a123's theres a few sellers posted.

Id save your money and wait till you kill your lipo pack and get a123's also they need a life compatible charger not a lipo charger.

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:57 pm 
Thomas AIC

Due to the slight Wink educational Wink value of designing and building a robot, I have received a little funding from a nameless source (okay.. it was my mum) it isn't much, but it does pay for the postage and exchange rate from $US for anything I buy on the internet, so now I'll be able to up size my robot a little, I am still keeping my main design but now I will be on 22v for my drills (I am just wondering how well the XU1's over volt?) and I now have a 2HP brushless spinner setup. My estimates also seem to have a lot of spare weight for Armour which is nice but seem to have lost the precise location of the Marayong events and can no longer find the info! I know its 72 something Marayong on the sixth of next month, but I need to gauge walking distances from the train station.

Thanks!
cheeseboy

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:46 pm 
andrew

walking distance from station, im sorry WHATTTTTT

someone could give u a lift easily man

dunno if ill have a robot finished of some quality for next event but can defo offer my services for pickup from station to venue and vice versa

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm 22v from what iv seen\been told 12v drills will burn and die.

Id try some 18v dick smiths there bout $40 each tho but you do get a 900rpm gearbox. so far glen has not burnt them out and i have some here on 22v i have been torturing a bit and they seem fine.

Best you start up a build thread Wink

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:53 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

it IS walking distance from the station, but i wouldnt want to be carrying a bot and associated gear! unless you maybe have it in a suitcase with wheels

youre talking about a 2-3klm walk iirc

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:48 am