www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Working With Hardox

Author    Thread
RAnts

Working With Hardox

Hey, I thought this would be the best place to come to gather help and advice to working with Hardox as you seem to have produced some impressive results in regards to shaping it.

The problem is i'm working on a Uk bot and the design requires a cylinder ideally created from Hardox. But the obvious problem is how do I form Hardox plate into a pipe form. Only one builder I know of in the Uk has successfully bended hardox 450 using a home made 8 tonne bending rig which I am unable to replicate.

Also that was a larger radius than what I require, while Aus builder "bytraper" seems to have alot more success with his ring spinner, while it shows that it is possible it's takes alot of hassle. I've looked at other material alternatives but this really is my main option.

So my question is, is it possible for form a tube 250mm in dia and about 400mm long from Hardox and keep it balanced. If so how?

Regards,
Chris

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:27 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

it would depend on the thickness but i think bending it in that small a radius is starting to push the friendship.

if its for a drum youd probably be better off getting some treated chromoly or something to that degree.

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RAnts

I'm thinking about 5mm thickness, and i'm against any post treatment because of the metal warping and distorting. If it is possible I see the length being the problem.

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:03 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

You are right, a ring might be possible but forming a tube would be really hard. Cold forming a ring made from a heat treated metal is usually done on a special machine (called a cold ring roller, strangely enough!):

To roll a tube you would need something like this:

Rolling a tube in a through-hardened steel like Bisalloy or chromoly 4140 would require a really heavy duty machine but with Hardox, you might be lucky - have a read of the bending manual here: http://www.ssabox.com/templates/brochures/InformationMaterial____10048.aspx

My tip would be to find a heavy machinery supplier in the UK and ask them to recommend some place they have sold a large sheet roller to.

Balancing: I would try to balance the tube after is was completely fabricated (rolled, welded, etc) If it needs to be balanced, I assume it is going to be part of a vertical spinning drum weapon? I can post some pictures of a cheap static balancer I made that might work for you.

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:42 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Here's the Bisalloy hand book for bending and rolling. Bisalloy and Hardox are just brand names for the same grade of steel, like Lexan for polycarb.

http://www.bisalloy.com.au/files/techman/bending%20&%20rolling.pdf

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:52 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I thought that Hardox was a laminated steel with a hard top and a softer backing.

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:15 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

This might be a good place:
http://www.atlasmetals.com.au/Product_Colour_Code_Chart.asp
Useful. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:45 pm 
bytraper

Hi,
You cant roll it in that shape.. Its not possible. It rolls, but it straight away springs back to 90% of its original shape. I've been down that road.
You can press it, but its almost impossible to get it balanced. or you can press roll it.. But that expensive because of the amount of time it takes and it cant be done in a single piece.

You may have to do what I did, and thats have it made in 2 pressed halves.

It was hard enough getting the diameter I wanted, anything smaller would require a HUGE press Smile

But... you may luck out because they DID actually make the tubing in that diameter a long time ago for storm drains... They don't any longer because it wasn't viable but you still might be able to get some offcuts from some of their distributors ?

Cheers!

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:39 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Getting 6mm bent seems pretty nuts, I'll eventually get around to sending a bit of 3.2mm Hardox to the local engineering crew to have a crack at bending.

Paul Cooper shaped the stuff with a homemade bending unit to make the curved armour for M2XT.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:57 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Could anyone recommend a good rolling place? I'm only after a mild steel ring... about 30cm dia but 8mm thick. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:06 am