www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

VIC: Pre-Annihlator Builders Meet - 26th June @ SideTracked

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

VIC: Pre-Annihlator Builders Meet - 26th June @ SideTracked

Just a reminder to All Victorian RoboWarriors planning on travelling to the Sydney Annihlator Event.

There will be a builders-meeting at SideTracked on the Saturday the 26th June at 11am onwards.
370 Huntingdale Rd Sth, Oakliegh, www.sidetracked.com.au ..
Yes that is *next* weekend. the one after, its *Showtime* !
its coming up fast.

I'd like to see *everyone* there with their robots all tweaked tuned and ready to rumble. This is an open-day as well.. bring your friends, family and potential builders if you like.. Sidetracked can keep them happy and fed while we practice.

Of course I'll bet a lot of you probably wont be ready.. why break tradition by missing out on the desperate 3am last-minute rush-job to get the bot together before leaping red-eyed into the car for a mere 8-hour drive to sydney ? or trying to convince the airline cabin staff to let you bring your soldering iron onboard so you can finish those last few wires during the flight ? Razz

But dont say I didnt suggest that you be ready beforehand !
(I may have to eat my words if *I'm* not). Rolling Eyes

Seriously though guys, try *hard* to be there and be rolling. The Arena wont be assembled, but we will have the pit-area to practice driving in, and I dont want anyone to break their bots by getting carried away in a bit of pre-match practice, but it would be really good to at least get some serious driving practice in, and if you aim for this day as a deadline, it gives you the last week before to departure to sort out any last minute issues, instead of trying to do it in Jeffs backyard, 800Km away from your workshop..

Gary also suggests that you treat it as a "Dress Rehearsal", and load up your cars with everything you would be taking to sydney. Spare Batteries, Tools, Spare parts, Chargers, test equipment, powerboards, pit tables etc etc... that way if you forget anything and realise you left it at home once you get there, you can make sure it doesnt happen the weekend after... and if it all goes well, you will have it all packed and ready for your departure.

any questions, give me a call.

regards

Brett

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

sounds like a great idea ... Very Happy
and it would be a good time for you all to find out who is actually going to make the trip .and please please give me a final bot and body count so a can get an idea on what to plan for ......dont worry about team names etc all i need to know is how many entering the tag team event ,and how many entering the annihilator.and how many people are coming as well if it already known please post the numbers ........cheers sarge Very Happy

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:29 am 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Well i'm looking forward to it and will be there with 2 running robots though i'll be doing work on them up to the event lol

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:45 pm 
Eyce

Do you have to be going up to Marayong to attend the Meeting?

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:55 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Not at all.. we're just asking that everyone who IS attending Marayong please try to be there.

Everyone else is welcome, although we will keep members of the (non bot building) general public out of the pit area I think since there will probably be robots driving around in there.. (without weapons) and lots of tools and things lying about, so if you are planning on bringing lots of friends or anything, they might be asked to hang out in the rest of Sidetracked.

Other than that, you're welcome.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

so whats the news ladies? Very Happy

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:31 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well "Boys" Razz I hope your Robots are all fighting fit. ours certainly are !

A good day was had at Sidetracked today. excellent turnout, and the Victorian Assault Team is looking good.. we basically spent the day in the pits having practice driving, with the occasional no-weapons battles and chatting, etc.

Looks like a confirmed *10* Robots heading up to chew some butt.. All your base *will* belong to us on July 3.. Laughing

Heres the line up and the status as of Today (heres your list Chris Jon)

Inspector General - In Fine Form, Battle Ready. a few scratches and minor cosmetic Stuff to do, but could fight right now if it had to. Added reversing switch using the IBC's Flip function, so its easy to drive backwards and ram wth the spikes if the saw malfunctions. Added some Belly Armour to protect the wires and stuff.. A bit nervous about all these flippers, since its like a beetle on its back, but you have to turn it over first, and thats not that easy ! Feeds mainly on bunnings Red Wheels, but willing to try Colsons if there are any of Nicks about.. Cool

Scoopy Doo - Ditto. Mel got some good driving practice in today, and while she started out a bit slow, after she had chewed through three fresh batteries, she had the knack and was happily scooping away. Watch out boys, you'll never live down being beaten by australia's only "girl" driver. Everyone sure takes a step back when that new saw motor fires up, I'm sure glad you guys got your lexan sorted, since I wouldnt want to try and catch any blades if they come off again (hopefully they wont).

The Stainless Steel Rat. anyone who upset Mouse, look out, his bigger brother is here, and he's *pissed*. This thing is ferociously powerful, you know that sort of cartoon where a football player ploughs into a scrum and ploughs through knocking players in all directions like ten pins ? I can see Rat doing that in the multi-robot annihlator.. Eats batteries like nobodies business, but you can sure see where the power is going.. If more Wedges like this start appearing, we're going to have to get that arena terrain happening soon ! Fragmentor got launched 2 feet into the air when Rat did a full-speed charge underneath it. No kidding.. a wedge that can make other bots fly.. ouch.

Fragmentor. Ball Peen Mk II. Gary's construction techniques are improving all the time, and you can see it in Fragmentor. Very slick looking build, the hard stainless armour makes the thing look like a candidate for a car show'n'shine, and while I hate to say it, I think Inspector General just lost its fastest top-speed title. I dont know how he's done it, since its running Jaycar 540-sized motors rather than the 550's, but this thing boogies. We didnt see the hammer fired today (it wasnt mounted), so I cant report on that, but the word is, if Scoopy cant cut through your top armour, Fragmentor sure will.. something tells me this bot isnt going to have many friends after this event..

Ballistic. Not much to report here. since the Pneumatics werent quite finished despite the traditional 3am night before. very close though, and since Gary has worked as an Air conditioning tech at one time and an LP-Gas tech at another, I dont expect that its likely there will be much he's missed in this area. some Novel design innovations here with suspension, dual weapons, teeth and awesome battery life, it spent plenty of time driving around and is 95% ready. Parachutes highly reccomended !

MiniMower was lurching about the place. looking a bit battered and in need of a paint job, it was still humming around sweetly, and matt & rob seem to be getting a handle on making its renoknowned twitchy steering go where they want it to, despite me having to growl at them a couple of times, as they plowed into the area with the expensive battery chargers humming away refilling the flatteries. Dont write MiniMower off, it has yet to show its best after poor radio performance at sidetracked.

Pinscher is becoming a bot with quite a bit of personality to it. How much of it is George's I'm not sure we want to know.. Shocked It ran around reliably enough during the day and despite the temptation to pat its head as it snapped and frolicked around, its a bot that can turn nasty on you at moments notice, as IG can attest being shoved all around the ring once his saw broke. The jaws move fast, and while they wont be grinding any molars to pieces with force, they could prove a nuisance, doubling as a lifter and a clamp. Wait for the alternate personailty to surpise you..

Battle Damage is a nicely made bot, that has plenty of potential, if Jason will just stop wiring it at 3am the night before, and put some screws on his wheels so they stop falling off afer moving 3 feet ("ah who cares, its got 3 more !"), then it might be a dark horse in the competition. unproven pneumatics though. nicely made, needs some time to "Get it all together".. will Jason find it ?

ArachnoPhobia was a no-show. David did appear and confirmed hes bringing it, and that he lots of work either has been or will be (in 6 days ?) done it to be ready for the annihlator. He does good work, so again, if he gets it all together, expect to see what is undoubtably one of the most visually appealing robots we've seen yet, although his lack of driving experience may be his undoing.

KO thundered around the pits in its usual straight-as-an-arrow style. Recently equipped with the Jinxed IBC from Unco, it cruised around for a while, then suddenly stopped. Yes, the switchmode regulator had blown *again*. (Thats about number 4). maybe poor Unco wasnt doing anything wrong after all ?

Mind you, I did test it for *ages* on IG before returning to andrew last time, weapon and all without trouble, so FIIK whats going on. Since Tim is running 24v, we can bypass this cranky switchmode regulator and just run the linear regulator, which should get him running reliably for the annihlator. a Visit to Jason tomorrow should see Tim smiling again.

and that about covers the vic assault team members who will be attending.

Neweyn is just due to return from being out in whoop-whop somewhere this week, so No.5 and "The New Project" wont be coming, I dont think Sam (eyce) has been able to convinve dad to drive him to sydney, so they will be likely preapring for the next RoboWars

That about covers it from my point of view. anyone else got anything to add ?

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:13 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

brett a great report Very Happy and very imformative to Very Happy ......
so we have 10 bots coming from mexico Wink and thanks to you all for making a huge effort to come up , the sport needs commitment and you guys certainly are committed ..cheers sarge Very Happy

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:32 am 
andrew

AH HA, See that Brett himself said Aaron, Glen and the rest of u noobs who kept badgering me bout my wiring and such. I am just the unlucky one i bet that got the faulty IBc and such.

Anywho, i want a refund then for all the faultyness. Nah just kidding Brett. I hope u can get it running for Tim and all.

Also at ahnialator is there going to be any prizes and all. Is there going to be any IBC's up for grabs or any Nick's mounts or any money prizes/coupons to jaycar or something. Or just a trophy and a well done.

NOt being a greedy guts as prizes isnt what its about but i am just curious.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:24 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Fragmentor is running mitre 10 g force drills.
I think they are slightly more powerful than the xu1’s.
Its Ballistic that I was thinking a bought trying with the Jaycar YM2770 motors I had 4 in it but when I gave in and dropped back to 2 I just put a spare pair of KK2 9.6 volts in it.
They worked ok so they might stay there or I could try something else?
Oh by the way the YM 2770 is 550 size .
I probably should pick up a spare drill from mitre 10.
I did play with the optical tack one night a while ago; there is a lot of difference in the speed of the drills especially when you start overvolting naturally enough
I think that probably comes under the motor dyno project that is after the battery charger project which is after the battery tester project that Brett is working on now. Fun day yesterday I go prep robots now. Very Happy

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:06 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:
Anywho, i want a refund then for all the faultyness. Nah just kidding Brett. I hope u can get it running for Tim and all.

Well, if it turns out that there is some other intermittantly faulty component that has been causing the repeated switchmode blow up's that we've missed, then it will certainly be covered under warranty and repaired free of charge.. as for refunds, I think you only paid for the first repair IIRC, havent we done all the rest for free so far ?

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:
Also at ahnialator is there going to be any prizes and all. Is there going to be any IBC's up for grabs or any Nick's mounts or any money prizes/coupons to jaycar or something. Or just a trophy and a well done.

Prizes are nice, since they add a level of seriousness to the competition and give you a target to aim for, also helps you feel that all the damage and repair costs you have to deal with were worth it in pursuit of something tangible, although I think bragging rights are the most important aspect to many drivers.. Wink Prizes have to be paid for by someone though.. In fact I think I might start a thread about that..

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:45 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Haemorrhage has a set of G Force drills from Mitre 10 in it right now, plus we have 4 more of them all set up for spares for this event. Annihilation is running KK2 9.6v drills on 12v and the rest arerunning XU1's. Did a amperage check yesterday, Annihilation pulls 400amps on start up and then simmers down to a comfortable 200amps till the battery starts dieing and the amps sag.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:16 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

sounds sweet Very Happy

ill definitely be keeping my ass out of the way of scoopy and as for the rat, well lets just say he hasnt met up with singularity yet Laughing

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:05 pm 
andrew

thats if jeff gets singularity reliable etc.

I arent scared of any robot, BRING IT ON.

Also that remark bout IBc Brett, theres been counless failures all because of unforseen and not understandable incidences, even u couldnt work out the last 2.

I really dont care what happens. As long as it works great for Tim then i am happy.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:04 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

If your robot is taller then 50mm, your now in the direct line of decintergration (sp?) if you stray to close to Annihilation. We are also looking at running the motor the way it's designed to spin (slightly advanced one way for more power) which should bring the RPM up even more and give us that bit more power.

Will let you all be the judge of it though........

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:21 pm