www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Rudd
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Rudd

Mr Rudd has had a surprisingly good start to his term as PM IMO.

The look on peoples faces, as he said sorry to the stolen generation, showed how much it meant to them.

The leadership in wage restraint, in freezing MPs wages, has to be applauded.

Mr Keating also did a lot of good for the country when he first got in: floating the Australian dollar, removing import protection, IR reforms, deregulating the banking industry, etc. Mr Keating ran out of steam about the time when he was going to introduce waterfront reform and a GST. Maybe it is a good thing to regularly change the government and have new drive and vision.

I hope Mr Rudd doesn't get rolled by the union factions calling for above inflation wage rises.

So far, I would have to give Mr Rudd a tick.

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:38 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Well personally living in the aboriginal strong hold of the universe, the sorry day has made my daily life here a personal hell

but the rest of the government seems to be going well at this stage Exclamation

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Removing import protection may have brought on the current era of disposable goods ,but it also annihilated the the manufacturing industry in Australia.

ffej.net

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by ffej:
Removing import protection may have brought on the current era of disposable goods ,but it also annihilated the the manufacturing industry in Australia.

After working for a company organises Chinese manufacturing for other companies I can say you are deffently wrong as a lot of the companies we work with have benefited from the cheaper offshore manufacturing in such are way that at least two are now able to compete with the larger American companies. They would never have been able to do that if they couldn't get cheap Chinese parts.

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:30 pm 
seanet1310

i was not rearly around back when he was in but heres part of my view aswell.
Without the removal of import protections Australia would have fallen behind with many other western country's in many ways which could easyerly have affected our manufaturing industrys far worce as well as many other indisterys. Some times one indistry has to suffer for the greater good of the rest and the country in general

Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

What is more useless than a large committee? An enormous committee.

I wondered what a career bureaucrat would do when he could no longer say "me too".

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:01 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Well, one year in and things appear like they are going to gather momentum on their slide down hill.

For a long time, I thought Rudd was just going to set up committee after committee and enquiry after enquiry, but then he made a decision. After telling us that our banking industry was in sound condition, he went ahead and guaranteed deposits and distorted our market. It hurt a lot of investors and lost jobs. It also proved that Rudd doesn't understand how the markets work.

We now find that we are to be sold out to the unions in a return to the bad old pre Keating days. Imagine turning up to work one day to find a union rep giving you a $500 bill for negotiating a pay rise for you. You didn't ask him to but you have to pay anyway. Think it wont happen? Wait and see.

''There are some hidden nasties in the detail, particularly when it comes to the right of entry [by unions] and the powers that unions will have to be involved in a compulsory bargaining process in circumstances where there is either a very low level of union membership in the workplace or unions have a capacity to recruit members in the workplace.''

The unions poured millions and millions into the campaign to get Rudd elected and now they want to collect billions. Guess who will pay?

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:07 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

History repeats;

"What we're seeing a a rotation in employment growth away from full time employment towards part time employment, which is not particularly good for economic growth going forward."

Those old enough will remember the last time we tried this IR legislation, we had the same result. Full time jobs disappeared to be replaced by casual jobs. The situation only turned around with the abolition of the unfair dismissal legislation.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:33 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

JULIA Gillard has defended her department spending almost $1 million on three "happiness" conferences for public servants and teachers last month.

The Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations treated 100 of its officials to a week-long seminar on wellbeing, held at Geelong Grammar School, in Victoria, at a cost of $642,000.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,25110315-2702,00.html

You don't want to feel sad when you have to deal with all of the unemployed.

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:05 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Once again a labor comes to power when the world goes to crap.
They will spend the next 4 years trying to make a global situation look good from our perspective only to be voted out once again as the world recovers and makes the next government look so much sweeter.
As for what rudd has done for me as a buisness owner all i can say is "doing good so far".
At last the government spends money after 10 years off drought and zero spending.
Within weeks off the announcment I land 2 government projects.
As for unions becoming a dominant force in the future,i think not.
I work in the commercial building industry and trust me all the union hype is rubbish.Let the media say all they like.
Only about 5% of workers on building sites are union members,but if the unions were to increase their numbers and become a bit more vocal about issues then so be it.
Im only speaking from a trades and building perspective, but the day unions were run off building sites completely was the day the building industry instantly became a free for all haven of "unqualified,Illiterate,unlicenced people.
I agree that unions had some bad seeds amongst the ranking file,but they also did some good
Heres what i mean....If a person walked onto a building site in 1985 claiming to be a carpenter and could not produce a license proving that, he was asked to leave.The same would occur with all the trades.
This tactic protected the honest trade people who went through apprenticeships and aquired the correct qualifications to do their job and the unions made sure that only people who were qualified did the work.
Today my industry is being desimated by these unqualified people and until control is brought back into the industry thing are getting worse.

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:01 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by chrisjon65:
Only about 5% of workers on building sites are union members,but if the unions were to increase their numbers and become a bit more vocal about issues then so be it.
Im only speaking from a trades and building perspective, but the day unions were run off building sites completely was the day the building industry instantly became a free for all haven of "unqualified,Illiterate,unlicenced people.
I am quite happy for unions to try to increase their membership and call for more worker safety and worker rights. I absolutely agree with you regarding the idea of qualified trades doing professional work.

The extreme areas of the legislation are the ones that concern me, such as guaranteed right of entry into a workplace. The unions could walk into your office and demand to see your worker's personal records including home address and bank account details. The police can't do that without a warrant. Why should unqualified union representatives be given more rights than a police officer?

I also would not want a union rep to negotiate on my behalf without my permission and give me a legally enforceable invoice.

As to your other comments, you may have overlooked the billions of drought aid and the American crisis and the Asian downturn during the former government's period in office.

Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:19 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy Yes billions were sent overseas to other countries in the way of soldiers and aid but at what cost. I remember a song i loved as a teenager and it still hits home 30 years later.

'We are all to busy saving children in chile and helping crowd victims on the other side of the world but when the war was over in vietnam you 3 adopted boys and 5 adopted girls marching up and down saying tear it down cause all of us are having a hard, hard time so start looking in your own back yard.'

We have only 22 million people in australia thats less than many cities in this world,its a bit embarassing when we still cant get that right.LOL its funny when Bob Hawke once said "No Australian should live in povety" when you stop and think about he was dead right. Political parties aside to me there is no excuse. Wink

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:20 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

SWINE FLU!

"public health minister "we are well prepared for a swine flu pandemic"

News report "Today there are now 40 people nation wide infected with swine flu" public health system "GAAAA WHAT WE DO WHAT DO WE DO AAA NO SUPPLIES AAA" News "today there are now 1700 confirmed swine flu cases nation wide Public health system already cutting people off and diverting supplies to people who need them most.

Lame excuse for "WE ARE NOT PREPARED AND DO NOT HAVE THE SUPPLIES NEEDED!"

PATHETIC!

Owell off to waste funds on more important things like a new stadium or big yellow cement arches for sydneys highways so people can see which road to turn down lol

O and how bout the news crews.

People in quarantine.

Lets go walk in to so called quarantine and interview them so then when we leave we can spread the flu DERRR!! Rolling Eyes

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:30 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Eh, not worried about it.
Wake me up when Anthrax or Ebola stays spreading around like wild fire Razz

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:35 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Nether am i but my point is just what you said.

As soon as there is a real outbreak were all stuffed.

If we can not handle 40 people with the flu imagine them trying to fight that.

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:09 pm