www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

ibc info

Author    Thread
iluvmatools

ibc info

hey all im thinking of buying a ibc however im not sure about the stats. could any one plz le tme no what the max current draw it can take / max voltage/ and can u make one motor spin one way and the second in reverese running them both out of the ibc?? and cost plz coz my other option is a second victor 885 speed controller for $180 atm.

i no i could run both motors off one victor, but at 24v the micro switching technique to reverse the current to one of the motor ssending it into revereswe is A not good for the nmotors and B ampo surges drain batts and C the micro swirtches tend to tack themselves together at 24v.

ty all for any info Smile

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:38 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Micro switches and speed control eh???

The IBC does its own mixing so yes it speed controls both motors in both directions, and can be done on 1 or 2 sticks on the transmitter. As for voltage and current draw i'll pass that one on to someone else to answer.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:40 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Brett cunningly hid the IBC specs on the front page of the site Laughing The important specs are: 50A on each channel and 36V. I wouldn't plan on running at 50A too frequently, but the IBC will do a pair of drill motors quite comfortably.

If you go with Victor 885 controllers, you will need to buy a mixer and wire them together. Its not much more work and the Victors have such a high current rating that you will have a hard time breaking them - I blew up my IBC several times and have yet to blow a Victor 885.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:13 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hard specifications dont actually mean much when it comes to robot motor controls, they are mainly a way of comparing different models rather than literal statement of "it will take x, but wont take X+1 amps."

Because motors are inductive, drivetrains and robots have different inertia, magnet strength (and hence feedback spikes) vary, batteries vary, radio response curves, and drivers vary, one motor that stalls at 20 amps might blow a controller quite easily while another that stalls at 70amps wont.

Sustained current ratings are also affected by airflow, heatsinking, battery impedance (how well it holds voltage under load), and duty cycle, so you cant really pin a hard number on it either

The IBC has been tested to handle surges of over 100 amps per channel without destruction (it went bang at about 120).

Realistically, if your motors stall at under 50amps each, you *should* be ok.

I've been running them in all our bots for 5 years, and never blown a controller due to over current yet. 2 drill motors up to 24v it will handle easily. 4 drills at 12v, probably, and 4 drills at 18-24v, probably not unless you are careful.

If you want a very powerful drivetrain, Victors are definitely the go.

The key with the IBC is the "I" bit. Integrated. It includes weapon controls, mixing, flip and 2 motors controllers in one easy to connect board. Its certainly not as indestructible as other controllers, but it is a whole lot more convenient, easy to wire and cheaper.

Victors require mixers, booster cables (sometimes), weapon relay controllers and about 5x the wiring. (do they have Bec's ?)

However, an IBC may not be an option for much longer anyway. Jason is running low on stock, and isnt sure he will have time to continue production of them past this batch, so if anyone wants one, get in quick !

I might offload some of my surplus robot gear soon, so I might have a couple for sale, Just havent got around to adding it all up yet.

Or you could buy some "480 turbo amp" hobby speed controllers from the RC car shop, and discover how some people have very different ideas on just what an "amp" actually means Smile

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fish_in_a_Barrel

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
However, an IBC may not be an option for much longer anyway. Jason is running low on stock, and isnt sure he will have time to continue production of them past this batch, so if anyone wants one, get in quick !

Shocked

I guess it's still in the rumor mill but this would definitely be a bad thing(tm).

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:25 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

At robowars I also found that the IBC handles limiting too. Running 26-28v of A123s and the 18v motors at 60% worked a treat. Smile
I told him before, Jake needs to finish a working prototype of his NSWcontroler !!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:08 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Prototypes are easy.. production is hard. which is why I leave it up to jason Smile

Bulk ordering of parts (pay up front for stock), lead times, Assembly, QC issues, testing, Warranty's, payment and shipping are all non-design issues that your average electronics guru doesnt want to have to deal with - me included.

But dont worry, if Jason decides he cant do it anymore, we will see if we interest Robot Power or someone like that in continuing production of them.. they might even get cheaper with auto-assembly if hes interested.

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I wouldn't like to see the IBC dissappear , but I doubt the Robot Power will pick it up. I heard direct from Dick Stuplich that he basically gave his small ESC design to RP with the promise that it would go into production - it never happened Sad.

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:37 am 
iluvmatools

yeaa... buy doubling up micro switches u can efectivly switch the polarity too a motor hence sendingit into a complete reverse,. however i have found that it is only suitableo for a 12v applications and under , It is also a major battery drain as the motors spike if u change direction 2 quickly and also damage to the gear box from over torque is a def possiblitly to any gearbox.

ok thnx guys, so basically you cant pin a exact amp load rating, but does anyone no the price???if it is reasonalble i will order one asap Smile
cheers all
-duff-

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:02 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I'm sure thats on the front page also...
http://www.robowars.org/store.html

$315 plus $10 postage

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:10 pm