www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Savager - Team Savage - WA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Dreakoth

hmm updates...

after several hours drilling and welding i now have some mechano:

i need to count the holes but itll be over 1000, 14mm holes 20mm apart, about 40% metal removed Very Happy

what else, got some lipo packs for power, yay for parents paying!
Im now offically sponsored by "Savage Surveying" theres the plug everyone saw it.

So my frame is as strong as mechano and im using 1.2mm ali plate for armor and i have lipos, explosions anyone?

now to figure out where to mount said lipos and co2 tank and expensive ram so they dont get totaled :S

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:31 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

might have a few strength issues but jesus i want to give you a trophy for that drilling effort Shocked

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dreakoth

I know, i didnt have a choice tho, i need a smaller stroke and bore ram, it will make the weapon faster, and allow for a smaller frame that will save a load of weight that i can put back into the axe and frame/armor, but that will be version 2.

I should also get awards for most dodgiestly armored bot, or style points for entering something so weak Razz

Itll have to be up there with stealth, tho didnt he have 1mm stainless?

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:16 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

1mm Aluminium Razz

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:48 am 
Dreakoth

lets see...
frame done
50% parts mounts made Razz (ie not acually mounted)
0% armour done
20% weapon machined
20% electronics

i have to build my speedos, mount my parts, make my armour, mount that, get weapon machined and mounted and play with some asm code for adding weapon control Razz

i havnt looked at weight yet, itll still be tight...

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:35 pm 
Dreakoth

100% parts made
80% parts mounted - still need to mount electronics and the armour
thats just zipties and poprivets Very Happy

Need to lose some weight tho.

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:51 am 
Dreakoth

First lets tell the story of my trip to melbourne (the robot building part, not the getting drunk and being mentally scared part)

So first day in melbourne, thursday night.
I realise that my rame has too much stroke and my axe will either always be lifting the rear of my bot up, or when fired it will lift the front up, this is bad as it meants im permanently tractionless. To fix this i decided to get a new ram on friday. i spent the rest of the night pulling everything apart.

Friday came, i went to norgren, brought a new ram and some fittings, Spent the day hunting down a welder and getting co2 ect, rewelded the mounting brackets for the ram, forgot to get new bolts to mount the ram with, being M10 x 1.25 (i think) the fine thread, i was hardpressed to find some at 6pm friday.

Fred pulls through and goes out at 8:00 saturday the mornign of the comp. to get my bolts, leaving me to rebuild my bot from the ground up, make and start mounting the armour ect, Fred gets back around 10ish to pick us up and take us to the event, getting there soon after i mount my new ram for the first time, plumb the gas lines while Fred popriveted the armour on. First test fire midway through round one cracked the welds on the rack, so last minute welding was done thanks to gary. Getting it into the ring for the first time it held up great against SS Rat, im so happy i made it through the fight problem free, minus the rack slipping and me having the drive reverse the whole match.

To continue the other side of the speedo killing story of macks (read the start in sunshines thread), Before we flew over, one side of one hbridge was fried in the speedo mack lent me, so we went to jasons to fix it along with macks other one which he fried due to my lipo pack. After we got the two ibc's from jason, one went into savager, this one was working fine day 1 and fine the afternoon back at the apartment we were staying at, i thought i had issues with the weapon, which was due to a broken wire on the solenoid.

The next day i was up against puncturer if memory serves, so i did some prefight tests, and low and behold nothing happened, the ibc and rx lights came on but nothing would respond, after last minute radio transplants (to macks spectrum) that still didnt help i borrowed andrews spare IBC and threw it in as they were calling be to fight. It was alright untill i took some hits and some erratic driving threw off the weapon cable then unstuck the small amount of ducktape i was able to apply to hold the ibc in place, this caused it to short on my frame and immobalised me.

So along with the electrics dying day two i was happy with savagers performance, the problems i was having with the weapon were due to the rack slipping on the sprocket, i was planning on welding a support in place to help carry the rack but i never got time. Ill fix it up next chance i get and do some weapon tests, then its onto a major redesign to get it smaller and lighter to allow for some armour.

I'd like to clarify some rules / judging tho:

If im running pnuematics and run out of gas, does that count as a weapon failing and gives the opponent points for damage?
I think this would be unfair as it had nothing to do with them being better then me its just a limitation of my robot, and if anything they already get the benefit of me not having any weapon power to hit them with.

Either way i thinks its something that needs to be clarified.

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:41 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Epic Fail Razz

Corset photos to come, just to mentally scar you some more when you next see Mack

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:06 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

as far as I understand the current rules, yes.

a weapon (or drive component) that begins the fight functioning, and ends the fight non functioning (for whatever reason) is considered significant damage, regardless of the reason it stops functioning.

Self inflicted damage, broken activation triggers, running out of battery power, gas, or fuel is all irrelevant - it stopped working during the fight, so its damage.

You need to design your pneumatics so they have sufficient gas resevoir, or ration your attempted flips throughout the fight.

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

You don't carry enough gas to last a fight? I know Hellcat used to be able to do about 50 flips if the ram is double acting and it uses a 12oz bottle, and Avenger has managed 53 axe swings in a 2 minute fight. Wouldn't a 20oz be a good bottle size? I have no idea actually. I like electric axes.
And judges always do stupid things. I know one said that Devastators gas leak was actually smoke from the electronics catching fire. Magic smoke counted as damage too, even if the robots don't touch. Kind of sucks but you have to realise that everyone will get a dissison they don't like sooner or later.

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:41 am 
Dreakoth

Fair, its kinda silly, if u wanted to argue it, its still functioning after the fight, i just need to put more gas in, its like saying a robot thats turned off isnt functioning, but its just something i now have to consider.

In the SSRat fight i think i only had 1/2 a 12oz bottle of gas to fit in the weight limit and my gas lasted at least 2min through the fight so it should be fine and next time i think ill have some more testing done and i should be able to ration the gas.

Epic fail indeed Razz least my bot ran for more then 30 seconds in a fight Razz

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:59 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Epic fail indeed Razz least my bot ran for more then 30 seconds in a fight Razz

I went three 5 min battles after the first epic failure and eventually died fighting Reboot in the Rumble Razz

Any more epic failure from you Trav, and you'll be renamed to Winny Red Laughing

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 am 
Dreakoth

i didnt remeber those, i thought u just drove around testing for 15 minutes or something.

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:37 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I battled Plastique twice till both our bots went flat Razz The rumble was after that.

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:48 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.robowars.org/wikka/JudgingGuidelines

Last part of 2.2.2

"Damage self-inflicted by a robot's own systems and not directly or indirectly caused by
contact with the other robot or an active arena hazard will not be counted for scoring
purposes."

This has been debated and everyone seemed to agree that this clause should be deleted but it is still in the wiki and Brett told me that the Wiki entry is still the valid criteria.

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:53 pm