www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Robovision! (addiction to robots)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Windhammer

Robovision! (addiction to robots)

Hi

I have this strange problem. When ever i look at something i think of ways to turn it into a robot. EG: a street signturns into armor or a flipper and that pole with a screw in it will be perfect for a twack bot tail. there are plenty more things i can think of just sitting hear such as there is a small metal box for a weather station on the floor beside me and im wondering if i could turn that into somethink like basalisk (spelling). Who else gets this!!! seriosly!!!!

Doug W

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:44 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I've always had that problem Smile

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew

Yes, i myself anr probably all people here have taht problem.

At a shop up the road from myu place hey used to sell large steel woks and i always thought of a blendo clone.

The one thing that i have discovered is to control this or sooner or later it will drive u insane. It is good to have idea's and be thinking but if ALL u do is loo for ways to maek it into robots then it gets tedious.

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:27 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Perfectly Normal.. Wink

When I first got into flying Gyrocopters, everything looked like either a runway/landing area, or a really cool/bad place to fly over and see what it looked like from the top.

When I first got in to the rave/party scene, every abandoned warehouse or forest clearing suddenly looked like a great place to hold a party.

Whenever a new source of creative inspiration occurs, ones mind has a tendency to fit everything into that context with an intensity inversely proprtional to the amount of time elapsed since the inspirational source first occured.

Translation - youll get over it.. Cool

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Lol, yeah, I've been like that for over two years now. My maths teacher pulls his hair out because I have trouble working on the easy stuff and any of the hard stuff that I can relate to robots I seem to nearly ace Confused

If i see anything around like at shop (bunnings/second handstores) I'm always thinking what could be used in a robot.

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:34 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Your math teacher should take some initiative and set problems that relate to robots.

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:16 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Nah, my teacheer started giving me side lesson and little tasks to research up on like:

The Philidephia Project
Membrane-Theory
The Elven Diamensions
and just recently, ULF (Ultra Low Frequencies)

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:26 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Im gulty Very Happy

All i think about 98% of the time is my bots.
Sometimes i cant sleep at night cos im working things out in my head.
During the day sometimes i get headaches. Confused

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:49 pm 
Eyce

I must say, my nights are just asleep designing new robots, and also thinking of how to lower shYte's weight Razz

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:19 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Mm i get a bit like that as well but i like things to be multi purpose so some times i am awake thinking of ways of utilising all these super strong (toys) and get them to do more than just play ...mmmmm mabee vertex can have a chain attachment and put in all the trenches for my irigation hoses ... how to get heamorage to climb trees and do some high level loping of dangerous branches ....Anhilation can get a another battery and bigger wheels and do some lawn mowing .....T2m already is used frequantly to shift non running ride on mowers around the shed ...lol the list is growing ...

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:56 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

I do it all the time though it has carm down a bit now. I still see all cars as haveing many useful parts in them Cool

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:08 pm 
chris

finally, I was embarrased to ask that same question but I have things like that all the time <looks down and computer desk and thinks that the metal could be used as armour> HUH! oh i'm awake!!!. I have managed to calm that 6ht sense recently by occupieing myself with other things but sometimes is seems to tie back to robots lol Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
c'ya from chris

Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:26 pm 
3Faze

quote:
You know when you're a real roboteer when:

1. You find yourself really looking forward to a trip the scrap yard on the weekend. 2. Peoples first topic of conversation with you is about the latest Robot Wars on TV not the weather.
3. You know the names of at least forty robots and what there teams drink.
4. Your wife buys you a pneumatic ram for your birthday.
5. You understand what all those other buttons on the calculator do.
6. You don't use all those other buttons on the calculator because you have a CAD package.
7. You spent most of your Christmas day with your hand up a robot instead of the turkey.
8. You have the badge, wallet, posters, the spanner rash and most of at least two robots in your garage.
9. You find swarf in your tea after doing a spot of drilling and still drink it.
10. You have more machinery and parts catalogues than copies of FHM.
11. When you have a visitor, they are forced to drink their tea from a mug which has weld and grinding splatter on it as they have all been in the workshop sometime.
12. Most of the staff in Maplin recognise you.
13. You don't worry about your car battery going flat, because you've got four more powerful batteries in the boot.
14. You know which cars have right-hand and left-hand wiper motors.
15. Your computer crashes because it's been cut clean in half by a spinner.
16. Your idea of a good Saturday night involves setting up your speed controllers and posting on www.fightingrobots.co.uk/forum.
17. You receive divorce papers with the robot named as co-respondent!
18. You spend your birthday shopping for hydraulic couplings that don't exist.
19. You see a empty parking lot with a nice flat surface and imagine its heaven.
20. You dream about the bloody things!
21. You cant open any cupboard in the house without a fire extinguisher landing on your foot.
22. Your cats complain when you take the robot, the robot parts and the robot construction tools out of your living room because then they've just lost good hiding spots against the dog.
23. You wonder what colour your kitchen table had.
24. You start dusting with a CO2 bottle.
25. When your robot bites back & you end up in casualty.
26. When you buy sugar by robot weight category... 1 bag of ant weight and a featherweight please.
27. When you leave the living room curtains closed all the time to save discolouring your polycarb stash.
28. When you buy wooden drinks coasters because you accidentally put the old metal one on a battery by the coffee table.
29. You think about buying a car and looks style and practicality go out the window and the question how many robots can i get in the back with room for spares.
30. You select a car with compatible wiper motors for your feather's drive train.
31. When you see a disabled person passing by in an electrical wheelchair and your friends have to restrain you from approaching this person with the offer to give it more speed and maybe stronger batteries and perhaps a better gear ratio.
32. You know you are a roboteer when you go to buy an engagement ring for the bird and when the ask what size she is..... um..... M6 I think!
33. You want the ring made of titanium.
34. You look at remote controlled Beyblade's and think that's a good idea for a robot.
35. When you see a disabled person passing by in an electrical wheelchair and your friends have to restrain you from completely stripping the poor disabled persons wheelchair/scooter of every possible useful part, leaving them sitting stranded on the chair in the middle of the road!
36. When the only time your family can see you is when they visit a live event.
37. When your neighbours hold a rally in order to pay for soundproofing the walls of your shed.
38. When you program your alarm clock to wake you up with "Three, Two, One... Activate !
39. When your wife says your dinners in the GARAGE !!!
40. When your robot makes your dinner.
41. When your wife says your dinners in your imagination!
42. When the postman delivers mail addressed to (Workshop Widow)
43. When you sit down for a cr*p and the toilet seat flips you into next doors garden!
44. When you get a Christmas card addressed to your robot.
45. When you have more robot idea's in you head then there have been robots in all 7 series.
46. When you do a school project on batteries.
47. When you get a Hypnodisc birthday cake.
48. When you look forward to the next Machine Mart catalogue coming out!
49. When your work colleagues suggest that you convert the office mailing machine into a fighting robot.

Author long forgotten.

The key parts are 19, 20, 31 and 35... you see, it just proves you're normal.

.... Well as "normal" as the rest of us Very Happy

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:20 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

holy crap i nearly feel all 45 of those Cool

quote:
43. When you sit down for a cr*p and the toilet seat flips you into next doors garden!

LMFAO happens all the time!

i always get the wheelchair hacking urges and a while back i was testing out cobra on the driveway when two kids drove in front of it on the footpath in a barbie electric car, holy crap i nearly had to slap my own hands off the controller to restrain myself Laughing

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

15. Your computer crashes because it's been cut clean in half by a spinner.

After the probbs i haveing with myn.....

DONT TEMPT ME!!

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:25 pm