www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Exhibition Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

When I was at the Mumbai TechFest at the start of the year it was all for a show. With two 30 minute sessions, 15 minute gap and 10 robots it was full on. With one builder for two robots it was an average of a 5 minute turn-around between "matches". You really need to be 100% focused on the show to do something like that.
With most peoples laid back attitudes at events most builders would be completely overwhelmed by the intense nature of a "show". It is all about the audience and no time can be spared for between match bragging sessions. If a robot is damaged it needs to be fixed immediately without fuss. If the show is delayed or changes made on the fly then the audience will not be forgiving. They paid to be entertained and they expect to get their moneys worth.
Thats what I think people need to remember: Turning robot combat into a sports entertainment changes building robots from a hobby into a job. The focus is moved from the builders to the audience. I quite like the challenge of putting on a show but I think the organiser needs to look for quality builders/staff not robots.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

As far as your original show concept we have a number of bots that I think are suitable for a crowd-pleasing exhibition event.
Fragmentor Skeletor Ballistic put on good shows at the Sidetracked exhibition event. Stainless Steel Rat would make a good blocker to fight the spinners, as would the Banes.

Our current spinners; Reboot, Bender and Badger are useful at smashing things.
This normally goes down well with the audience and is a lot cheaper and easier than smashing real bots even if they are made of MDF.
I have no interest in building MDF bots myself.

We also have the N bots; Cake Taker, Kill Bot, Powder puff and MiniMower that could be dusted off but I don’t wont them damaged.

Then there are the bigger bots; Maestro, Weasel, Ultidrum, Pyrobot, Lawnmower, Bulldoze, Energize.

Arena Sweeper is available to tidy up between rounds

The two computer bots Overdrive and Little Mack are also available for soccer, tug of war, sumo, and audience driving but not as canon fodder for spinners.
http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458
They were built for my ill fated attempt at a novelty bot class but I think you will find the paying public think remote controlled lawn mowers etc amusing and I would prefer to put any spare time into that sort of bot rather than the MDF variety.

As far as turning these events into some sort of competition event where we will turn up at our own expense, potentially take damage and still work hard to keep the audience entertained sounds a lot like what we have been doing under the existing Robowars system.

Rob and Matt enjoyed doing the Sidetracked exhibition event, they stood together during the fights and worked out there moves and by choosing compatible bots put on some very entertaining fights.

No vertical vs. horizontal spinner matches though. Smile

Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:13 pm 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Making the right choice is easy, It's knowing what the right choice is thats the hard part.
Dr Sam Ginsberg.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, I believe this will work, It's just a matter of how well it will work, and how hard we all have to work for it to be great. The event system will be as follows.

1, No weight limit.
I use this loosely for now, main reason being, if you can turn up to an event with a 90kg beast then we are all in for a good show.

2, All predetermined fights.
Just a trial for the first event, I believe it will give us a chance for more control, though I may be horribly wrong.

3, Money made will be split as follows.
first, all expenses covered, this includes builders, unless you are flying in and staying at the hilton.
second, necessary arena costs. What is necessary you may ask, well things like repairs and safety items for a start, not lights and sound.
third, an agreed and fair divvy up for all involved.

4, all bots to have active weapons.
even if It's a hand that slaps the other bot.

5, all standard build rules.
safety, weapons etc..

The plan is to get things going by summer. I would like to have some more real fights first to be sure the arena is good to go, so we will plan a few in public places like fates, shows even Lunar Park. wherever it is it has to have other attractions until we ARE the attraction.

your thoughts [/i]

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:23 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

So just to clarify point 2, you would have all of the pair-ups for the fights, but the winner is decided by the fight. Then the winner of the whole thing is based on points?

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
1, No weight limit.
I use this loosely for now, main reason being, if you can turn up to an event with a 90kg beast then we are all in for a good show.

Only reason I disagree with this is that the bigger the bot, the more hassles and costs in transporting it. We sneak interstate now with bots in our suitcase, trying transport something bigger is going to be a big ask, especially for something that is just as exhibition.

This is just my opinion though

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:00 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

I would agree on the weight limit point as well.

Unless you are having a three on one fight then maybe it would work, or the big guy is meant to lose.

You could just have a general weight limit, ie around featherweight size, so the robots don't seem haphazard and disproportionate. Obviously no real weighing would really be necessary.

Good on ya for coming up with some decisions though. Always hard as you said.

One final queston. How were you envisiging the predetermined fights going down? I mean how does one robot lose? Does it jsut stop working (ie switch off the radio) or does it let the other bot just attack it. Because one problem there is that the other robot might not be able to damage the losing one enough to make them lose.

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:14 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Scoopy might be available for exhibition class matches (Unless someone wants to buy her first Smile - She's not thick-skinned enough to be competitive in todays high energy semi-pro-comp environment, but is still good to put on a dramatic show with the high speed saw blade and self-righting ability.
Cool

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

As far as the weight limit, I understand what you guys are saying. I have a light weight and its a pain to even take locally, but It's up to the builders. If you can get a bigger bot to the event and maintain it thats great. 15kg to 30kg is a good size and I'm guessing most of the bots will be around this. It's open to bigger thats all, and we could do a 3 on 1 or similar.

It is going to be to hard to really predetermine a fight, as you all know sh1t happens, and the proposed winner may win or lose. The idea is the goat vs t-rex theory. having said that it still needs to look as real as we can, so the t-rex may have to get hurt a little.

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:19 am