Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

More windings should have more torque too Smile

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:18 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

The comm on a 12V Bunnings XU1 Ive got here is marked 27T

BTW, im running 18V DSE's rate limited to 45% off a full A123 pack and all is good, just gotta make sure you drop the dead band way down, otherwise theres like half the stick that does nothing. Actually, now I think about it, doing that with the 120Hz victors could be a really bad idea lol.

ffej.net

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Re the torque thing. If the iron gets saturated when its stalled (or nearly so) then more turns won't improve the torque. Saturated is saturated.

@jeff, I had a look inside the other Jeff's victor. They are just 16F628A's the baby brother of the PIC we use in our radio. It would not be infeasible to up the PWM frequency (or just totally re-write the firmware to do whatever you felt like (got mixing?))

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Jeff: Yeah, I have 50% limiting and Victors Sad - Jolt is very twitchy at low speed. I think it affects the mixing as well and I want to be rid of it! From the feedback, the 45T motors at 24V should perform a bit like slightly over volted 12V motors. I set up email notification when the motors come into stock and will get a set ASAP.

I don't know if it will matter, but all these motors have a flat on the shaft. Pressing on a pinnion might not be as secure as on the drill motors...

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:48 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Found this little site on a Google-venture...

http://home.comcast.net/~milemarkers/Motors-ESCs-Brushed.htm

I like the look of the last two motors as alternatives to Dewalts in cheap bots Razz

Post Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:20 pm 
cerberus3112

Okay can any one tell me for future reference which motor has more
torque to speed etc
300 watt scooter motors or dewalts
p.s sorry if its been answered

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i reckon the 300w motors would have more power to them for sure.

but considering that an entire dewalt setup with the wheels mounts and bearings tips the scales at just about 1kg and the scooter motors alone are nearly 2kg its a bit of an unfair comparison Razz

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cerberus3112

umm nearly mine weight 2kg for the motor X2 and about 2kg for the sproket axle etc Laughing
Could you use brushless motors for drive??

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:40 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

theoretically yes if you could find a reversible controller. and at this time they dont exist for the price we can afford Razz Shocked

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nick_75au

Rewinding motors, my application off topic

This is relevant to some earlier posts.
Its not hard to rewind the drill motors. I rewound a 14.4v 550 drill motor, it originally had 27 turns, I changed it to 45 turns of wire about 2/3 smaller in diameter for a direct drive propeller, it reduced its rpm by 3/4 at the same voltage but its torque didn't rise (to me anyway) I'm also only running it on 6 volts. I could have used thicker wire if I had it available and I believe that would have improved the toque. That boat and prop can push a 70 Kg tanker model sideways into the wind and it only weighs 4kgs.
Regards
Nick

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:38 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Dewalt is a brand - like Ford - there are quite a few different motors under the DeWalt name. Here is a link to some of them
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/marketplace_dewalt.html

In general though, nearly all of them make more power than the scooters do - most drills make between 0.5hp (370 watts) up to 2hp (1500w) depending on what voltage you run them at.

<more info>
http://www.enigmaindustries.com/links.htm

I'm not certain as to whether the scooters watts are input or output watts (taking in account motor efficiency), but if its input watts, then the output has to be less than 300, if its output, then its still less than most drills.

The big advantages of scooter motors are reliability and power consumption. If you are not building a ram/pusher then you dont need kilowatts of output power, and scooters are much easier on your batteries and ESC if you can handle the weight penalty.

In fact, scooters power/weight is even worse than they first seem, since the power ratings are at 24v for scooters, meaning you need to carry more battery cells to get the rated power.

However, like they say, its not how much power you make on the first lap, but how much you make on the last lap that counts. Drills are fragile, amp hungry beasts that break often, but are cheap, easy to use and light.

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:09 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

like i said, you won't see increased torque if the motor is saturated.
you should see reduced current draw though.
While you can re-wind drills the problem is balancing them again after, that is non-trivial.

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nick_75au

I don't know anything about saturation unless you count the time I forgot to seal a hole in the boat Embarassed . I didnt balance the motor, it only turns about 3000 rpm in comparison to the 30 odd thousand it used to do. There is absolutly no vibration from the motor. I do understand where your coming from I just didn't bother for this application.
I can run it under load for about 6 hours on 6 volt 8 AH batteries.
Regards
Nick

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:05 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

basically when you stall the motor you get the maximum amount of magnetic field that the laminations will take. By upping the turns you can up the amount of magnetic field you make for a given voltage (IE more torque) up to the point when you saturate the steel. It doesn't matter how many more turns/amps you put through there you wont get more torque and all your producing is more heat.
If the motor is running it should be fairly moot.
wrt balancing yah at lower RPM it becomes less important.

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:32 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

What is a good way to replace a drill motor and gearbox?

I would like to use a motor with belt or gear reduction. I don't need a lot of push. Weight is important to me. What would people recommend?

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:52 pm