www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Car thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

I have a Nistune for my S13, cost me $450 to get my ECU modified and for the software. But it's a hell of a lot cheaper then buying a PowerFC or a Haltec...

http://home.aanet.com.au/nistune/

I have a USB lead I plug into my ECU, manage it all from there on my X23 laptop. In regards to the Telstar, I'm assuming yours is an 80's model, which happens to be akin to the Mazda 626 family. Using the Mazda 2L FE motor, it came in 3 varients

quote:

The 2.0 L (1998 cm³) FE was very different with a square 86 mm bore and stroke. It was an 8-valve SOHC engine for front-wheel drive and rear wheel drive pickup use. Output was 90 hp (66 kW) for the 1 barrel carburetor version, 100 hp (74 kW) @ 5600 rpm & 156 Nm @ 3700 rpm for the 2 barrel carburetor version, or 118 hp (88 kW) @ 5300 rpm & 178 Nm @ 3700 rpm with fuel injection and higher compression (10:1 vs 8.6:1).

For cheap, you could find some EFI gear for it on a Mazda 626 Wink

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:59 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i have an old 32datra sitting around here somewhere Razz

mmmm 44IDFs... drool. ive got the manifold for a 40mm sidedraught for mine. just cant afford the carb Crying or Very sad

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Where did you get the 44IDF's from ? My Photo is of 45DCOE's. were you referring to another car ?

If you have a DCO type manifold already, you can buy an DCO style Throttle body for it for about $350, then you just need to go scrounging for bits off an old EFI car.

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ah my mistake, the idf series is down draught isnt it.

probably wont take the plunge into twin carbs until i can do a bit more intake work on the engine to make it worthwhile. but shiny chrome looks nice Very Happy is that yours brett?

has anyone heard the old trick of blowing propane down the carb intakes to tune them right? ive heard of it on the fiat forums but had no idea how it could work Surprised

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:27 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

If your keen glen we can make some kind of 4 "barrel" electronically controlled whozit with per piston control of fuel/air and the whole kit n kaboodle, cmon rhino should be into performance parts no?

I think i have my carby somewhat healthier, i gave it a shot of engine degreaser and let it sit there for a few minutes then "washed" it out with wet engine starter while running the engine.

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

you can get carby rebuild kits easy these days. i got mine somewhere local (maybe around granville? it was a while ago) and it only took a day or so to make.

sounds like a fun idea anyway Cool i was thinking of just making my own FI and straight through manifold like that adding the other sensors to the engine block = sucks.

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:31 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Quad Throttles + Fuel Injection + Trumpets = Shibby Razz

Had some designs in my head for Quad Throttles for my S13, shame the trumpets and bodies are so expensive to get Confused

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:40 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

my mechanic said that calibrating and doing all the other crud your self was almost impossible without the right tools. I'm not too sure what you "calibrate" in a carby tho.

Bah "trumpets and bodies" bit of 316 stainless and give glen a hammer for a while ;->

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
ah my mistake, the idf series is down draught isnt it.

probably wont take the plunge into twin carbs until i can do a bit more intake work on the engine to make it worthwhile. but shiny chrome looks nice Very Happy is that yours brett?

has anyone heard the old trick of blowing propane down the carb intakes to tune them right? ive heard of it on the fiat forums but had no idea how it could work Surprised

Yep. IDF's go on Porsche Flat 4's, and V8.. Smile

They've been sitting on my shelf for a year or so waiting for the Charger to come in out of the rain and get its panelwork all fixed and painted. now thats happening, which is keeping me broke, but hey, you have to have some rteason to work hard I suppose. Wink

I nearly went for Independent-runner Fuel Injection, but the Nostalgia Factor of the webers (I had a set on the car near on 20 years ago) combined with the fact I already had them and would have had to sell them to finance EFI, then tune it kept them on the list.

The next car project after the Charger is planned to Electrify the Gemini Wagon to compensate $ and greenie wise for the extreme power & consequent fuel slurping of the Webers Smile but thats probably a way down the track yet.

No idea where the propane idea came from ?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:00 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

squirting a bit of propane down the intake will richen the mixture slightly, and you can observe the change in revs to decide whether the carby is too rich or too lean.

Carbies are fun.

Individual throttles and EFI are not that hard to do, but it's really not worth the effort unless you're building a serious engine and want to spend a lot of time tuning.
On most EFI setups, single throttle seems to work just as well as individuals, especially on modern engines with very well designed intake manifolds.

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Couch Drifting....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcH0041DWhE

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:51 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ATT DUMHED XD

looking for an eaton m45 supercharger but no bastard around here is selling one used Crying or Very sad know of anyone thats selling an old one or any such?

was reading some guy on zgeek still had one for sale? any idea if he still has it

cheeeers

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:20 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

what was his name?

I have a supercharger I'd sell, which might be quite similar - but I have to find it (more so dig it out of the bottom of a pile of boxes from my last house move)

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Waddy the phoenix

busted.... again....

TIP!

when your friend calls asking you to get him to home cause his sick, when your on your L's dont drive faster than the speedlimit in actual fact you should be driving at all (on your own) the end result isnt pretty, and by pretty i meen 1300$ and a backyard full of broken stuff when you go out there and take your frustrations out...

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:53 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Rolling Eyes

shouldnt you be off your L's like a million years ago?

Post Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:59 am