www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

RobotWars in PC PowerPlay
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks for the offer Nick, the offer is appreciated but I think we should be fine.

Friction drive will be the go, and I hope to use a small diamter super wide drum Bort and I have two of. Of course this is our first robot, but the current plan will be to move on to different designs in the future, while still keeping older competitve designs going as well.

Right now I am trying to get the bits and pieces donated, though it should not be a problem if I need to buy some stuff.

Currently I am wrapping things up for my second issue, so in about 1 week my big focus will be doing the call around to find out exactly what robot gear we can get. Hopefully I can get everything donated, but if not I will hit my editor up for some budget.

The nice thing about getting things donated is more industry contacts for me, and more possibilities of spreading the Robot Wars word around through the different sponsors, like hobby shops etc.

Once I have a kickarse PC PowerPlay robot going we might have to challenge the guys over at Atomic to see what they can do Wink

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:31 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

scooter drives seem somewhat fiddly.
We will throw in some of our new wheels to go with nick's drills.
They be shiny ;->

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
scooter drives seem somewhat fiddly.

at least they arent considered a consumable like drills Razz

if yae be making a new batch of wheels jake let me know, interested in getting some nice tread on my scooter wheels Cool

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Don't the 100W scooter motors come in a pre-assembled mount? I think Lindsay's idea for it is to make it sound appealing to people who have had little experience with such things, (as most of the readers would be). So the simpler the better.

Jake, as previously discussed I am also interested in the new wheels for drill motors Smile

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:18 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I can highly recommend that new soft uthrene Jake, pushyness FTW! Shocked

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:42 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

the center piece mould made but dad is somewhat busy at the moment so I don't know when the tread section will be made. After that we should be able to churn a few out.

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Yep, the plan is to keep things as simple as possible, so the scooter drives in the enclosures do exactly that.

If I go for the drum it will be super low so drills will be the go for it.

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:30 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

just got the magazine, nice Cool

could always make a ghetto form crusher. everyone loves crushers! Very Happy

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

The original MiniMower used 2 scooter drive assembles trimmed down a bit and that was in the 12kg days with SLA’s.

I reckon a low speed drum is a good choice but I might be biased. Smile

Interesting, relatively safe, not too hard to build.

Bought a copy of the magazine this morning, hadn’t bought PCPP since the end of the 90’s so there robot coverage has already improved there circulation, might buy a second copy for the archives on account of the bots who got there photos in the mag. Very Happy

If there is ever anything I can help with don’t hesitate to ask.

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:23 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks Smile Simple and safe is the way to go for now, plus I am always impressed with the speed and power of robots runnings scooter motors!

The photo choices were done by the editor, I had a bunch of snaps I had taken at Battleshed and he grabbed a few he liked. If I had known they would use them I could have taken some better pics!

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:27 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

When`s the next issue comeing out?
How`s the Powerplay bot comeing along?

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:01 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been very busy!

2 Mags have now made it out the door with robots in them and a third will be out shortly. I will bring along a copy of both mags to the next event for everyone to check out.

Things have been interesting here, the editor who hired me and loved the robots was offered a position at a games company and moved on. The new Editor is a great guy, but a bit less keen on robots. They will still feature in the magazine, but with slightly different coverage. Instead of getting into the real basics of building the robot we will cover it more like - here is an awesome thing we did, check out the cool technology involved and how we did in the competition. This means we are likley to try out various weapons etc to keep things interesting, and try and go hardcore as possible. It also means we are not going to be worrying about things like the potential of being sued if someone follows our guide and hurts themselves. That also means a flamethrower could be on the cards, so I might have to start tracking down some extractor fans! Anyway its all good exposure for Aussie robotwars.

Now that robots is established with the readers it will not be in the next issue or two while we get some other computer tutes sorted and get the robot built.

Once we have our first competition we will do some nice coverage of it in the mag and get some fights onto the magazine DVD.

I also created a PC PowerPlay build thread, so check it out.

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:40 pm