www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Forklifts

Author    Thread
cerberus3112

Forklifts

Im not qite sure should this go in this section of the forum so sorry if its wrong. Smile

Okay can anybody tell me how the mast on a forklift works all I could find on google was that it was hydrulic and thats it no more details.
This for a robot idea I have not for battle though so it dosnt have to be battleable.
Also any ideas on how to build the mast would be helpfull it has to be able to lift about 100ishkgs and hold it about 1-2 meter in the air like a forklift.

Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:27 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Well, I have heard of a face lift.....

Have a look at the mast of a forklift. You will be able to see how they work. You could try Google images or preferably, you could look at one in the flesh so to speak. You will often see them at Bunnings.

I was thinking of building something like a forklift using an electric winch instead of hydraulics. There are winches that lock automatically so that there is no load being transferred to the motor when the winch stops. It all looked a bit expensive.

I hope that helps.

Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:20 am 
cerberus3112

thanks looking at the 1s Ive seen got me interested in building one to help around the auctions here lifting the heavy things for mum nnd dad

Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:01 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

usually they have a vertical hydraulic ram with an axle on the top of it with two sprockets.
Chains runs from the bottom of the forklift chassis, up and over the sprockets, and connect to the bottom of the sliding mast section - so the lift height is double the throw of the ram.

Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number