www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Bisalloy Grades and their colours

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Bisalloy Grades and their colours

Anyone ever been dumpsterdiving and found metal they think is bisalloy, but wish they knew the grade? Not sure if many people know this (seems lots don't) so I thought i'd make a post for this. Bisalloy grades have a colour on them which corresponds to their grade, I arranged it here to make it easy to work out. In fact I might just take this a bit further because i'm bored and it's good info I had to find out and many others will want to know I'm sure.

Grades in order of hardness:

Structural Grades:

Bis 60
Colour: White

Bis 70
Colour: Lime Green

Bis 80
Colour: Pink (this is the grade orbit and SM use for weapon disks, and it's only a structural grade!)

Bisalloy Wear Plate (the shiz)

Bis 320
Colour: Blue

Bis 400
Colour: Orange

Bis 450
Colour: Yellow (Tensile strength 1400MPa!!!)

Bis 500
Colour: Black (Tensile strength 1640MPa and a garanteed hardness of 477 to 534 HB!!!)

Bisalloy High Hardness Armour:

Colour: Black with red strip (similar hardness to bis500 however with properties better suited to balistic protection, use 6mm for mimimum protection against a magnum at 3m Laughing )

Very Happy Hope this helps people in future determine what metals to use in their bots![/u]

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:58 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Re: Bisalloy Grades and their colours

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
Bis 500
Colour: Black (Tensile strength 1640MPa and a garanteed hardness of 477 to 534 HB!!!)

So Bis 500 just means an average hardness of 500 BHN. Seems rather simple. But the structural grades don't seem to match the Rockwell C or B numbers. Most likely because wear (hardness) is not an issue with structural materials, which means the number stands for something else. And is why it isn't suited to weapons or armour. Like choosing mild steel over tool steel.
Better of with Bis 400 or 450 for robots. I've seen bucket teeth break apart when hitting rocks after getting the 500+ range. 600 - 700BHN teeth tend to break before the paint wears off. And teeth tend to wear away to nothing after a week when they are less then 250BHN.

And a little chart that may be handy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardness_comparison

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:59 pm