www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Help writing & setting up Auction Site Software please ?

Author    Thread
cerberus3112

Help writing & setting up Auction Site Software please ?

I know its not robot related but its will be technical and confusing so i thought it would best fit here.

My family have just bought and opened up an auction and they want me
to make an online auction site mostly for selling wholesale (mum knows alot of whole salers from her large amounts of trading pre auction Wink )
Any way I don't about how to go at this and ive tried reseaching for a couple of days and its sending my pretty mad trying to find some help so I thought of you guys
Also i know a bit about coding and scripting in multiple languages so go ahead and be technical but not like full I.T masters please.
Any amount of help would be usefull and heres a link to the auction flyer and card

J.T.D auction house card 9x size(0.3 mbs)

http://four.fsphost.com/cerberus3112/22223.JPG

and heres a flyer(1.1mbs)

http://four.fsphost.com/cerberus3112/File0003.jpg

oh yeah and there would be a big banner of the robowars site on it as well to help get some more compition this year and ill proberly be at the next event if i knew when it was lol Razz

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:16 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

You want to write your own Ebay ? Without being an IT Master ?

Forget it.

If you arent a master of php, perl or similair, dont know SQL databases, security, and hosting inside out, you are in way over your head.

I'm not saying you cant do it, but you have many years of learning ahead of you before I'd consider auctioning anything more than marbles on a 1st site written by someone who isnt at least at "advanced god" level in a broad range of IT subjects.

You would be far better off buying a pre-made package from someone who is. 5 seconds of googling turned this up
http://www.addauctionsoftware.com/

I'm sure there will be lots of others.

For that matter, writing the code is only half the battle anyway. Theres no point having an auction site without any customers. Why cant you use Ebay or one of the other existing auction sites that have millions of people browsing them every day ?

Oh, and "Please Help Me ?????" is generally considered to be very bad form as a subject in forums - especially when combined with multiple punctuation marks !!!!!!! Wink

I've changed your title to something more informative and moved it out of the robot tech chat area to where it belongs..
try to be a bit more clueful in future please.

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cerberus3112

okay ill take note about the title next time sorry about that
I talk with them and see what they want its not my idea its theirs and im just trying to help them out by doing it.
Unfortunatly the only language i have mastered so far is httml sadly but im still learning
that was a fast reply lol

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:37 pm 
Karmond

I agree with Brett, you can't really make an online auction site from scratch with limited knowledge. Expecially since one would handle very sensitive data and such like peoples personal information. While a basic knowledge of scripting languages is nice when starting to learn PHP, SQL and the like it's not good enough to start off with a task like this.

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:54 pm 
cerberus3112

Ive done a bit of reading in ebays code most is done in java, css, html and
it has referecnces to external dll files.
Java, css and html i have no problems with but what would be in those dll files i dont have LEGAL Wink access to???

p.s im not trying to be annoying it just has become another sort of hobby besides robots and it would be an intresting challenge you know the kind that you atempt knowing whole heartedly that you will most likely fail but will learn much on the way Smile

p.s.s anyway if it was easy there would be alot more online auction sites

Last edited by cerberus3112 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:22 pm 
Karmond

oooook, you need to read up on server side scripts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server-side_script

There is ALOT of code that's running the whole site in the background that you don't see. The html source that you get is produced by the server side scripts which just tells your internet broswer how to display the page.

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:29 pm 
cerberus3112

Thxs mum now understands and dosn't care much about it any more thxs and how do you know so much about coding??

Hmm I still wonder is it possible to LEGALY see the server side scripts

Last edited by cerberus3112 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:34 pm 
Karmond

You can't, that's the whole point. They're scripts that are on the server that are run by the server. Whatever data sent to the user (html) depends solely on what the scripts tell it to send. The only way you can actually get to the code is by having access to the server either via FTP, physically or something along those lines.

As for how I know, I learnt PHP and SQL years ago around the time when ARWO, ABBL and Robowars started. Mostly self taught from php.net .

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:44 pm 
cerberus3112

so let me see if this is right youre computer sends the command to the ebay and ebay sends it to it's server/s and the codes there select the best fitting code and render a page according to the command that was sent by your computer or am i way off??

ouch the vastness of the amount of coding and work involved in ebay just hit me and it is huge

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:53 pm 
Karmond

sorta, not sure what you mean by best fitting code though.

Lots of sites use server side scripting. Google is a really good example, could you imagine if they just had a html document for every possible search query?

You send the search query to google, it looks up matches in a huge database via a server side script, which then gets the 10 best matches and then generates a html page which is what you download and see through your browser.

Obviously theres alot of missing details in there like how the database is structured, how it gets the best 10 matches and lots more but that's the basics of it.

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:05 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

[simulataneous post with Karmond Wink Two opinions for the price of one ]

This forum uses the same technique. Unlike a "normal web page" where the HTML is written as a file, and uploaded to a server, The HTML page you are presently looking at did not even exist until you specifically asked for it.

Then a piece of php code went through the SQL database of posts, looked at your preferences, themes, timezones, what messages you have and havent seen and a thousand other factors, then custom wrote the html page on the fly just for you, sent it to you, then threw it in the bit bucket (bin) for recycling.

All you browser sees is the end HTML code, which makes it look like there is an actual HTML file sitting on a server somewhere, but there isnt. Its all done with smoke and mirrors.. Wink

If you're really interested, download the phpBB Forum code from https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbb/ and have a look through the various modules and how they relate.

If you're really interested in learning programming by poking about at random rather than doing a structured course (what I call "Blunder mode" as you blunder about randomly), a useful metaphor is to think of all the heiroglyphics you are reading as a jigsaw made of code - to begin with, you have no idea what you are looking at, or how the bits fit together.

But perservere, ignore the bits you dont understand and focus on the bits you do - hey look, this bit goes with that bit... now I have two brown blobs connected into 1 big one ! Wink I have no idea what a SELECT command does, but I recognise the "if..then..else" structure after it.

Eventually the blobs begin to connect together into bigger bits, the big bits come together into structures and slowly the big picture will emerge as you begin to comprehend large blocks of code, their functions and how the connect and communicate to each other.

Its not a very efficient way to learn programming, but it does help you learn the attitude necessary to rush in fearlessly, screw things up, and then fix them which can be useful in many situations. Smile

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cerberus3112

ah ha that kind of is my aproach to most things that i dont understand quickly and thxs for the help

p.s hmm wheres that rosseta stone when you need it lol

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:11 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

If your wanting to do an Auction site or any type of sales site in the internet look for a software package that does it for you.

I believe Cpanel can do what you want.

But you will still need to set up the server.

needing everything that spockie said and then some.

Customers need to be able to pay for the items. that adds another dimenion.

Not to mention getting people to your site.

The 'If I build it they will come' technique will not work.

so you would need to know about search engines and all the going on's with them.

So if you want to continue with your project there are acouple of way to set a auction / sales site up with little trouble.

1/ eBay or other auction sites

2/ Web host that speicalise in auction / sales sites. (have pre made sites, just add product.)

3/ Software and set it up your self. (I have had a small look a Cpanel or the one Spockie said about)

4/ do it all your self (avoid if possible. all the trouble you can get all at once)

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:59 pm