www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

running a weapon off 2 channels

Author    Thread
Dylon

running a weapon off 2 channels

im in the process of making a beetle with a weapon but i only got a 2 channel radio, is there anyway i can get the weapon to run off a 2 channel radio
only thing i can think of is using 2 controllers but if someone knows a better way would be appreciated

Barton Robotics Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/BartonRobotics

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:37 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i made a circuit that ran off a 555 timer, it just took a pulse from the drive and turned on for 10 seconds and would turn off if it didnt get another pulse in 10 seconds.. was quite huge though XD

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

if you're using servo switching you can set up another switch to turn on at at partial servo travel, so the weapon will turn on when the drives do, or you can use partial stick to run the weapon without the drive.

For spinning weapons this works fine, but if you're wanting to have proper control over an axe / flipper, etc it won't be ideal Smile

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Ive done wheapon control with two channels before on a robot i built for a young bloke but it was only a drill mounted on the front .i controled it with diodes and relays from the drive motors .both drives in forward the drill went clock wise when both motor drives went reverse so did the drill. this method can also be controled directly from the drive motor power by takeing a negative from one motor and a positive from the other .i wouldnt recomend it spinners though unles you used diodes so the wheapon onlyspun up the right direction in fowards and free wheeled in reverse

to activate an axe or hammer (although i wouldnt recomend it ) you could make it so the axe trigerd from the drive when you went both sticks reverse so you go flat out in fowards and when you hit the oponent you go reverese axe trigers then the axe motor stops when it encounters a limiting device when you let go any of the sticks or both the relay controling it returns the axe to a preset up position and it stops with limit switching again. or you could have it both ways .so when you go foward the axe is back and swings over when you hit reverse then stays there until you go into full forward again but would be trickier to control as the axe would swing every time you went full foward or reverse .

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:24 am