www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

POWER POLE CONNECTORS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Those conectors look ok but like Bret said check on how much surface area makes contact betwen each conector and have a look to see what sort of tension is used to hold them tight if they rely on the plastic case to put presure on the conector then they might come lose at high amps when they get warm and the plastic softens .. the pins them selves look like they would take 80 amps ok .. we use 12 volt 10 amprated power plugs on Anilation and pull 400 amps start up then about 150 cont through them ok but they have a large contact area and have heavy tensinioned clamps inside a bakelite holder.

Only one way to find out iff they are any good ---put some wire on them and load them up to 80 -100 amps off a car battery for a few minutes and see iff they melt or not

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:37 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

heh olympic pushybot is specked at 512A at stall ;->

makes singularity look like scrap lol

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Lol not sure if you couild fit enough nicads to suply 500 amps into it though lol

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:31 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I am looking a a small mountain of D size Nicads and Jake is hard at work on a Mr Fusion cell - at least that's what I think he said Smile

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:12 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Whoa. Where are you going to get 260 amps from ?

A Lead Acid battery will supply that (for a short time), but NiCd's and NimH's wont. and no feather speed controller will handle it. Unless its just your weapon motor through a contactor (big ass relay).

The connector might cope for a few seconds, but I'm betting it will melt pretty quick at anything over 100 amps sustained. They say it has less resistance than an equivalent piece of 12 guage wire. well, 12 gauge wire wont deal with 100 amps for long either.. Laughing

So your saying that if all my motors run at say 70amps contin and my pack is rated at 45amps then my motors will not run propperly or to there full potential?

In that case would the 45amp power pole connectors be good for me running two ww motors and an ev warrior in my 12kg bot then?

And that 260amp is stall current not sustained current.

Last edited by timmeh on Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:09 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Ok i just got an email back from Jim Smentowski about the deans ultra connectors and this is what he sed. Very Happy

Yes, they can handle at least 80A continuous. I'd say well over 200 amps surge.

Nick what amp connectors do you use on your mag motor?

BTW heres the deans web site http://www.wsdeans.com/

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:22 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, I'd trust Jim then, he has no reason to misrepresent his goods, and I'm just judging them based on a photograph

quote:
So your saying that if all my motors run at say 70amps contin and my pack is rated at 45amps then my motors will not run propperly or to there full potential?

That would most certinaly be the case. If your motors need 70 amps continuous and your batteries can only supply 45, then you are definitely going to have reduced power, and quite likely, smoking batteries.

But what motors are you using in a featherweight that need 70amps continuous ? Thats a lot of power. are you sure thats not the stall specification ?

>> In that case would the 45amp power pole connectors be good for me
>> running two ww motors and an ev warrior in my 12kg bot then?

WW wiper motors dont use much power at all, I dont know the numbers, but I'd be surpised if it was over 10 amps each. an EV warrior is a different story. they can use up to 200amps at stall on 24v. What they use cruising I'm not sure, but with an average spinner weapon, I'd guess 30-50 amps would be a ballpark figure.. anyone with EV's out there confirm or deny that ?

>> And that 260amp is stall current not sustained current.

Well, stall current is a different matter altogether, its not a sustainable figure under any circumstances. even assuming your batteries and ESC can deliver the stall current without frying, there arent many motors can cope with their stall-condition-current for more than a few seconds without their windings smoking..

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

my current fusion reactor plans only become feasible with accelerators at least a meter long sorry, mebe in the heavy weights ;->

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Couple of things:

Basilisk uses the Anderson 50 amp dual conector (as sold on the NPC site). It has taken the stall current of the Mag motor and 2 XU1 drills at 18V with absolutely no problems. The thing I most like about this connector is that it has a huge plastic body with really positive locking. Its easy to make a locking mechanism so the shell cannot come apart. The connector pins easily solder or crimp to 8g wire.

I ran EV motors for the weapon bar in the first Basilisk at the Annhilator event. The EVs were stalled frequently and I noticed that the coating on the armature wires was considerably discoloured after each match. That would normally be a sign that the motor was very unhappy - It was getting 14.4 volts at up to 80 amps from two NiMH packs. The EDTsim program puts the stall current at around 100A @ 12V so I was probably getting close to the max with my battlepacks. At 24V, I don't think you would want to stall the EV for more than a few seconds before it smokes and dies!

Jake, it your having problems fitting an accelerator into Plan B, I recommend curving space with a few carefully placed micro black holes Laughing

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:58 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm no rules against gravy guns (gravatic weapons, so named because using them generally winds up with sombody winding up about as solid as gravy)

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:05 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

[quote="Spockie-Tech"]

quote:

That was just an example my drive motors only run at about 3 amps contin no load and have a stall current of 48 amps each and my ev will be running at 18v so the stall current will be about 150amps and that will be running threw a seleniod the same as nicks.

how do some other teams not smoke there batts when they are using some BIG motors?

Last edited by timmeh on Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:05 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Ive just finsihed replacing all of my power poles with deans ultra connectors. . . .

ffej.net

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

so how are they going?

What kinda current are you pulling?

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:18 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well 6 12v drills at 24v with a big ass nicad pack, go figure Very Happy

if your so concerned at your bot exploding in a big electrical storm, just head over to the RFL forum (www.botleague.com i think) and ask there. the americans have done it all before.

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

How many amps contin can 12g wire handle?

And can i have a fan running straight of the battery or would it burn out from the high amounts of current going threw the battery leads.

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:12 pm