Yes, 15Kg sounds better, There are good reasons to change
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author    Thread
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

No Obs from me, have always liked that idea,

It will be intereting what people actually do with the weight as most bots are generally complete.

Dont forget invertability guys

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:32 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I reckon the best bet would be to make out weight limit the same as the lightest of the overseas limits we'll be competing against. That way we can take part in any competitions, adding weight if we want for the ones with higher limits.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Windhammer

ok im with glen on this 1. even tough i have never build a success full robot that has won battles (mainly because im in WA). but with this increase in wieght everyone will look at bigger things soon 13.6kg (which sounds f**ked) will be to small and everyone will be going up to lightwieght then middle then heavy which usally cost more and frames and armor take longer to build which is one reason i dislike larger robots. not to mention the fact this will make it harder for begginers to get into the sport! and not to mention the arena will have to be huge so you will be the only ones ever building in Aussie (well mabey). so please think before you kill the sport.
Sad

[edit] also you freaks wanna be like americans!!! im very disapointed in all you yanky wannabees. yes go and hang your head in shame. Exclamation

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:22 pm 
andrew

dude what are u ranting on about. Its 13.6 kg. thats only 1.6 kg more.

Killing the sport?? Oh u got me fired up now boy. This has to be one of the best calls for a long time that i have seen.

A beginner i think would have no problem getting into the sport. If u build a robot tough and learn from your mistakes then you should be right. If 1.6kg extra is enough to scare u off from featherweights then go race rc cars or something.

The arenas will stay the same as 1.6 extra kg wont be that much difference. Our arena is getting cranked up the close to 6-10mm lexan anyway's maybe and if u build a arna for efatherweights than 3mm lexan should stop most things flying at u.

We are following the yankee ruling because if we compete there then we can be at their limit and not be disadvantaged much in having to change crap around. Also the 1.6 kg extra can mean more inovative designs that fitting into 12 kg may have been tricky with (eg. clampbot).

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:59 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

..and I don't like to picky, but doesn't that tag line in your signature come from a 'Yankee' site? Trebor the Mad Overlord will be wanting a royalty payment from that, methinks Wink

The class is "up to" 13.6kg. nobody is forcing anybody to slap on another kilo. Look at Glen's Cobra - it's never weighed over 11kg and has done exceptionally well.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:00 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by windhammer:
but with this increase in wieght everyone will look at bigger things soon

Some people will want to build heavyweights, some will want to build antweights.. right now all the action is in the featherweight class, and a lot of people (especially first time builders) will appreciate the extra kilo or so. Try building a 12kg bot and you will see how tough it is.

> 13.6kg (which sounds f**ked)

So call them Featherweights, Middleweights etc. you dont need to say the numbers all the time.

> everyone will be going up to lightwieght then middle then heavy

I doubt everyone will be. Heavies cost *heaps* more than feathers do, and just because someone added 1.5Kg to the featherweight class is not going to suddenly fill everyones pockets with money and the irrestible urge to spend it on a heavyweight for which there is no arena in Australia for Rolling Eyes

>cost more and frames and armor take longer to build which is one ason i dislike larger robots.

I dont dislike them, I wish I had the money to play with them, although I'm told moving a heavyweight around the workshop and the pits sucks..Laughing yes they cost more.. lots more.. so why do you think everyone is suddenly going to be building them ?

>not to mention the fact this will make it harder for begginers to get into the sport!

Umm, How ? Perhaps you are thinking that we're all going to fill that extra kilo with unobtanium or something ?

> not to mention the arena will have to be huge so you will be the only ones ever building in Aussie

Who is "you" ? Us big mean evil featherweight builders who are suddenly going to turn overnight into kilogram addicted evil overlords with unlimited funds ?

> so please think before you kill the sport. also you freaks wanna be like americans!!! im very disapointed in all you yanky wannabees. yes go and hang your head in shame. Exclamation

Oh yeah, I'm going to start talking like an American and tear up my poster of Paul Hogan and pretending I'm from just south of America.. calm down dude.. We're not all trying to be like Americans because we think they're wonderful or anything.

If you wanted to go overseas and fight robots, there's more robot action in the US than in the UK. A lot of builders could really use the extra kilo and a bit, whereas in the past we've been trying to gradually squeeze everyone down to 12Kg bit by bit which is forcing people to go for Nicad batteries and other expensive lightweight bits that are making it harder for newbies to get started.. more weight will make it easier to use heavier cheaper bits..

And your arguments coming from someone who thought we should invent our own unique weight class just to be different to the rest of the world dont really impress me all that much. I suggest you try driving (or riding) on the opposite side of the road (just because everyone else is on the left you know) and let us know how you go.. Laughing

A more practical and friendly suggestion.. stop making so much hot air, and go and actually build something and you might find people will give your opinions more respect.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Windhammer

Spokie tech [Thoughts, Comments, Criticism, Flames are now welcome. Laughing What do you guys think ? ]

i didnt mean all that stuff to seriosly ,i mean like how could you possibly kill the sport

p.s dont take to seriosly.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:53 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Brett, I know that you spend alot of time on the US sites so you may not realize that there are events happening most weekends in the UK.

"there's more robot action in the US than in the UK." Change weights if you wish but don't do it bassed on a misconception.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:25 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

While its true there are plenty of events happening in the UK, are they not mostly smaller regional things? If I was chosing to go to an event in any other country it would be the biggest possible national event. It costs about the same to both destinations, so event quality seems to be the deciding factor to me and IMHO, the US has that over the UK.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:54 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Its true I mainly frequent the US sites rather than UK scene so my perceptions may be a bit skewed..

But in general I've found the brits to have had more of a focus on the 100Kg "Robot Wars" (as in the TV show) bots, and then everything smaller than that was fairly under represented (since they never got any air-time).

Plus the amount of "I have a secret dezign that is gonna kick all you guys asses as soon as I find a sponcer to pay for it" idiots seems to be a lot higher in the UK. Probbaly because their TV show had a target audience of the 8-14 yo kids..

I'm sure there is plenty of action in the UK, and some of the most interesting heavyweight bots have come from there, but I agree with Nick that there are more pro-level events in the US by far. Steel Conflict, Robocide, the NPC open, Robot Assault, Robolypics, BattleBots-IQ, The Triangle Series Nationals, BattleBeach, MechWars, BotBash, SECR, SWARC etc etc..

Having an event every weekend in a backyard is fun for the local competitors, but its not the sort of thing I'm interested in flying around the world to see. so forgive me for believing that the USA is where all the action is, but If I had an airfare in my pocket, i know where I'd be going..

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Damn, my brother voted with out telling me. Lucky he went for the same response I would have.
I been reading more of the UK forums then the american forums and from what I can see the only differnce between the 2 countries robot comp's is money. That and the UK compititors won't let go of Robot Wars. But from what I've read the pom's are realising they need to change their idea's as they think they are killing the sport (because of small audiance numbers). If you go to the FRA forum you can see my post stirring them up a bit about "fun for the audiance" vs "fun for the roboteers". But I'll still give it about 18 months till the UK comps get back to a good standard. Which means afor the time being I'm more looking at going to yankeeville (in about 10 years time when I get the money).

Anyway we don't mind the weight limit being moved. Up until Sydney we were under weight all the time (the weigh in at the annihilator came as a bit of a shock to me) and now we are rebuild back down to 12kg. If it goes to 13.6kg Hellbringer has easy places to bolt armour to and with Adversary modular weapon I can be any weight I damn well please (above 7kg anyway).

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Have already agreed but thought should raise some food for thought as its obviously a debatabe issue.

Havent changed my opinion but wanted to state this could lead to other issues.

Three points that have been lurking about with me are firstly part of me wonders if this bonus will make it harder for newies into the sport only in the sence that most of us you could say are vetarans and have learnt a lot from having a strict weight.

An extra kilo to most of us means a lot more destructive power and weapons, we will maximise every last drop of weight as much as we can wheres as a newie will most likely use this on SLA or heavy welding etc. as anyone getting into this sport will be generations behind and have a good chance of being pretty smashed on ther fisrt outing.

Just trying to say a kilo to us means a different thng than a kilo to a new builder. Just something to think about.

The other thing to consider is that if this bonus is allowed it might detract people from making a lightweight so we might end up with a lot of feathers and hardly any lights.

And final thought of the day is haveing a lot of feathers will probably open up the discussion of how many bots can you compete with in one weight division. If people start building multiple feathers then it will create other issues.

I think its important to consider the whole structure of our sport as well as the weight we are in.

Anyway hope this sounds light as its just to make sure we make an informed desision for the good of everyone as we have to encourage more people but give them some chance in hell of being competitive with our local robots which are getting very intense and powerful.

By the way this is just an opinion to aid discussion, please dont scratch my car anyone, just trying to think of the little guys as well as the seniors and just hope people can see both sides of the argument as there is no right or wrong so its up to us to make a good decision.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:02 pm 
andrew

I agree completely there George.

I think though that if some cool little kid comes with a drill driven box or something that other people wont kill them completely, that they will hold back. (otherwise they can answer to my size 12 boot).

The more featherweights the merrier but i do believe that if u have like 20 featherweights that there should be a limit of like 4 or 5 or something for a competition.
Dont kill me anyone but its my opinion.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:22 pm 
robo robbo

I agree totally raise the weight class but if people start getting silly put a limit to the amount they build OR make them pay a sort of tax that could make the arena better. That my opinion it's open for comments.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:31 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:

I think though that if some cool little kid comes with a drill driven box or something that other people wont kill them completely, that they will hold back. .

How does Nick hold back his blade.(Sorry Nick for using you as the bad guy, must be the curly moustache Very Happy 0

Dont expect people to hold back, If a robot has a particular weapon that threatens a weak point in my bot I would show extreme prejudice to that bot.
Wouldnt care who is driving

Its a defensive mechanism Cool

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:55 pm