www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Metallic Arts and creations

Author    Thread
andrew

Metallic Arts and creations

Hello all,
for quite a while i have always been amazed and fascinated by metallic sculptors and artworks, anything made from metal and that has a cool shape or feel to it.

While on a family holiday there was this workshop/exhibit/display of this guys metallic artworks which ranged from tables to funky wall things that had so many amazing colours which were done with heating the metal up until it discolours and stuff and simply blew me away.

Recentl;y been looking at the works of the flaming lotus girls (www.flaminglotus.com) who use fire as part of their works which just is so freaking cool.

Well a close friend of mine sonja's birthday is coming up and so i decided to take a break from robots for a few days and to use scrap stee from last dumpster raid and challenge myself to create something unique and cool, its my first try so its pretty basic but i have many ideas for future things to try and they r pretty weird and cool. I made it using a bandsaw to make the cuts and cut the flat steel pieces out and clamps, a hamer and a 2x4/edge of the table to bend the metal around to get them nice right angle bends and that neat curve, then when both halves were finished i simply welded it all up.

Anyways i finished construction minus creating the side spikes and weldig them in the holes i drill in the sides then grinding down of the weldage and prepping for paint (in short get metal as smooth as possible).

Will get it done tomorrow or next day tops then can start on the paintwork for it, ill post pics up of the finished product for yall to check but heres what is done so far

SO yeah just thought you guys may find it interesting

Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:49 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

get the wire wheel out on it and polish it up. looks cool Very Happy

Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

nah just grind all the ugly stuff off and start paintjob

what will wire wheel do to it, make it have a cool finish or something

Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:52 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

gets rid of all the rusty crap. you can do it with the flap disk too but it tends to gouge into the metal and its pretty hard to do.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v357/Cobrarobotics/Woodzilla/?action=view&current=DSC03397.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v357/Cobrarobotics/Woodzilla/?action=view&current=DSC03341.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v357/Cobrarobotics/Woodzilla/?action=view&current=DSC03344.jpg

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

My sheetmetalwork skills r improving, young grasshopper learns fast P

Well i have left orbit for a short bit (ionly have till anuary to finish it, shibby) and finished a artistic piece i sarted a while back for my at the time girlfriend but since that didnt work out i left it and only started to finish it now to give to a friend of mine in america (lives next door to uncle and aunty).

I got it to the point now where i can start looking at paintwork and such and the paintwork i have in mind will be pretty damn cool if i can pull it off properly.

But yeah thought yall would find it interesting

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:04 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Awww, Me thinks just perhaps you are sweet on this girl???

Kinda reminds me of when I was in primary school and made this girl some jewelry,,, out of lead! Laughing Well, back then it wasn`t poisonous or nothink!!

Very artistic and from the heart there Andrew.

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:14 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Those wings look pretty evil Smile Nice work.

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:20 am 
andrew

thanks for the props there guys, really appreciate it

i have finished grindage and got it as good as possible to perfect, i have also put a skincoat over it from this bubble gu sorta stuff thats used for filling in cracks in walla

its sorta like car bog or filling and yeah one sides done and sanded back and it provides a very smooth, almost perfect surface fillng in all lil imperfectios or holes that come from welding all ready to be sanded back and have the first coats of primer sprayed onto it come weekend i hope

@Jeff- u r correct, met her many years ago (shes next door neighbour to uncle and aunty in Texas) and the two weeks we hung out were the happiest two weeks to date, if only there wasnt half a world in thw way. Oh well just wasnt meant to be, damn fete

She is also not into store bought things and loves gifts that were made and had some work in them. So she will freak out when she sees this thing Razz

ill post pictures when i start the process of painting, masking and finishing etc

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:28 pm